CRTC Release on Fee For Carriage Issue (March 22, 2010) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-03-22, 04:54 PM   #16
windows7

If a new black market of paid subcriptions to DirecTV and Dish Network via an American PO box is what it takes to send the message to the lazy, greedy, poorly-run "Canadian" networks to get the message that they're not wanted, so be it. Let the games begin! In the mean time, I will be enjoying Nickelodeon and Disney Channel from the US that whip YTV and Family Channel.

Does this FFC include CBC/SRC? Is a BILLION dollars a year not enough for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-22, 04:57 PM   #17
supergenius

"Agreements between broadcasters and cable are expected to last three years."

At first I read this as "Arguments".....might be more appropriate!!
Old 2010-03-22, 04:57 PM   #18
JohnnyCanuck

In my opinion, there's some good stuff in here. I actually like it better than I thought I would.

1) No more Canadian content as a calculation of time. It's now a minimum 30% of gross revenue. Far better regime.
2) Mainstream news and sports programming (across the entire group) do not count towards the 30% Canadian content formula. Since this programming is successful and profitable, it's a good call by the CRTC not to allow it to be traded off against the formula at the expense of dramatic production, documentary programming, etc.
3) If a local station opts for VFS they lose all regulatory programming protection (mandatory distribution, priority channel placement, and simsubs).
4) Program deletion in exchange is fair especially since the BDU's will have the ability to negotiate compensation to avoid deletion.

Also worth noting that the CRTC may not have the legal authority to actually allow VFS. If the Federal Court finds that the Act does not allow for it, the whole thing winds up as a political decision. Something both Liberal and Conservative politicians don't want any piece of.
Old 2010-03-22, 04:59 PM   #19
windows7

At least it's a short-term hostage situation (I think strong words like these are appropriate to send the right message to the Canadian networks and the CRTC). The CRTC is using it as a stop-gap (I don't know if I used that term correctly). So the gravy train can't last forever, thankfully.
Old 2010-03-22, 05:00 PM   #20
99gecko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
At first I read this as "Arguments".....might be
more appropriate!!
I did the exact same thing!!
Old 2010-03-22, 05:02 PM   #21
travisc
Veteran

Short-term until when? When both sides wake up and notice that nobody is watching the channels any more?
Old 2010-03-22, 05:07 PM   #22
Phil81

Just heard the decision on CTVgm owned CKLW-AM. They said that this "could increase cable bills by $10 a mo" when BDU's pass the extra cost on to consumers. Here's to delaying the inevitable at great taxpayer expense.

There's now ZERO reason for broadcasters not to convert to digital OTA next year.
Old 2010-03-22, 05:11 PM   #23
windows7

I will look forward to the day when a BDU yanks a Canadian network because they couldn't come to an agreement on compensation.

CTV: I think we're worth 75 cents per month.
Rogers: Uh... we'll give you 35.
CTV: 35?! We have American Idol. C'mon here!
Rogers: Okay. 49 cents.
CTV: 60.
Rogers: 60?! More like 53.
CTV No, 60.
Rogers: Nope.

*yanks the channel and turn on my TV to see a title card on CTV channel placement reads*: "Due to a conflict of negotiation for compensation, CTV is temporarily unavailable."

And then I watch ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox simsub-free (albeit temporarily). And they can't black out the American network each time they run a show CTV has the Canadian broadcast rights to.
Old 2010-03-22, 05:15 PM   #24
agover

Location: Toronto, Ontario - Rogers - SA8300HD,S1 Tivo,S2 Tivo

windows7 -

I think you missed the whole point. If the cablecos/sat companies dont come to an agreement CTV/Global etc can not only pull their channels - they can require blackouts of any program they have rights to on any US channel. So no simsub free NBC/CBS etc..

Welcome to dealing with the crtc...
Old 2010-03-22, 05:18 PM   #25
99gecko
Veteran

Quote:
There's now ZERO reason for broadcasters not to convert to digital OTA next year.
In one of the sub-documents that is emphasized for all markets over 300,000, capital areas, plus Barrie and Hamilton, and markets under 300,000 where there is more than one local television station.
Quote:
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) previously determined that the transition must be completed by August 31, 2011. In today’s decision, the CRTC maintained this deadline for major Canadian markets as well as provincial and territorial capital cities.
Old 2010-03-22, 05:18 PM   #26
thenewdc
Veteran

Now, could the Canadian Station not only yank its signal, but force the American feed off as well, claiming they own the program rights?
Old 2010-03-22, 05:18 PM   #27
windows7

The CRTC has always had too cozy of a relationship w/ Canadian networks. That has got to stop. I'd vote for a Prime Minister who would abolish the CRTC and form a new watchdog to deal w/ today's TV and media landscape. Young, brilliant minds. Instead of the inept old goats that currently get "envelopes full of money under a bathroom stall" analogy (not literally).
Old 2010-03-22, 05:19 PM   #28
JohnnyCanuck

Except windows7, you won't be able to watch any ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox programing for which CTV owns the Canadian rights. CTV will be allowed to require the BDU's to delete that programming unless the BDU and CTV reach a specific agreement on that program. Think Super Bowl as an example. No CTV Vancouver on Shaw, CTV can insist that Shaw delete the US network feeds of the game. Shaw and CTV can reach an agreement to allow Shaw to still provide the US feeds ... that agreement may be monetary (in which case Shaw could presumably sell its own advertising) or Shaw could agree to simsub.

The one bit of leverage is that I can't imagine either the BDU's or the networks risking complete consumer alienation by allowing things to reach the stage of program deletion.
Old 2010-03-22, 05:20 PM   #29
timlocke

@Johnny Canuck. I think your point 3 should read:
3) If a local station opts for VFS they lose some regulatory programming protection (mandatory distribution and priority channel placement).

If in fact the actual legal words from the crtc ALLOW for simsubs to be negotiated away I'd bet a lot that the broadcasters will immediately state to the BDUs that simsubs must stay. After all, no simsubs no money.

I think that all we need is for the crtc to FORBID Canadian stations to buy EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS for Canada. Then no blackouts, no simsubs. Easy...and hopefully we'd see CTV and Global out of business as TV stations quite soon.
Old 2010-03-22, 05:23 PM   #30
99gecko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
It's now a minimum 30% of gross revenue. Far better regime.
Agreed. And it will have the secondary effect that a lot of members are looking for: Reducing the total number of simsubs because the CTV/Global's just won't have the monetary means to buy the rights to all of the Amercian Prime Time hits, as they currently do.