DAB Radio in Canada - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry

Old 2011-01-22, 07:09 PM   #256
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dael View Post
Virgen, Jazz, EZ Rock and a couple of others much closer to home.
Hi Dael,

As a side question, do you get any sound from these stations:

Channel_3:
680NEWS
CHFI
1050CHUM
104.5CHUM-FM

Channel_4
THE FAN

If you hit the "info" button on that Roberts, does it show an .mp2 stream? Or something else?

Those show good strength, but no sound. EDGE 102 is all distorted here and very loud.

I'd be interested in what you hear / not hear.

Cameron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-01-24, 12:05 PM   #257
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDAB View Post
Hey Roger, what is that stuff?! Monster cable run through a paper mill??! ;-)
LOL.

Quote:
I wonder if that stuff has applications over in the antenna design area of the OTA TV forum?
That is what I am wondering. It may not provide any technical benefits (more likely to cause issues), but it could help with aesthetics for indoor antennas.

Quote:
The trick is getting the impedance correct, either 75 or 300 ohm.
While this will likely have an effect on the reception characteristics of the antenna, I don't think it would affect the impedance (not an expert on antenna design though).

This is getting off topic though, so I assume a moderator will move it.
Old 2011-01-25, 03:25 PM   #258
jchrist1
Rookie

Default DAB NS Query

Apologies for my stupid question but is anyone able to advise me on whether you can get DAB in the Annapolis Valley in NS? I no longer live in Canada but I'm thinking of getting a DAB radio for my mother as the analogue stations she can receive are not to her taste.

Ta,
Old 2011-01-26, 10:26 AM   #259
classicsat
Veteran

I am going to say no, two ways.

First. DAB has only been broadcasting in a few places; Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ontario and Ottawa.

Second, of them, they have mostly only been digital re-broadcasts of existing analog broadcasters.

DAB (in Canada) has not grown enough to the point to keep it around (CBC is approved to drop their DAB transmissions), let alone to grow to other markets, and have DAB only stations.

If she wants other stations, the only option is satellite radio (Sirius/XM, or from a DTH provider), or Internet streaming.
Old 2011-01-26, 11:14 AM   #260
randomusername2

Quote:
If she wants other stations, the only option is satellite radio (Sirius/XM, or from a DTH provider), or Internet streaming.
Don't forget the high fidelity of shortwave radio!
Old 2011-01-26, 06:17 PM   #261
CamDAB

In the Toronto market, only 1 channel of 5 stations remains on the air, with only one (EDGE 102) having audio, and that is severely distorted, the rest are silent.

Cameron
Old 2011-01-27, 06:15 PM   #262
dael
Rookie

Default DAB Antenna

Thanks Cameron,

Too bad to have to wait for the end when it's finally working so well for me....even if it may be because of the weather.

Who knows, things might change after the next election or should I say the election they say isn't happening
Old 2011-01-27, 08:38 PM   #263
CamDAB

With the debacle surrounding DAB, and AM Stereo before it... the fact of the matter is, without standards, manufactures will drag their feet since it costs money and time and research to bring products to market. If the marketplace is left to decide, particularly in broadcasting, I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't gel. Broadcasting standards often mean decades of use, and additions work better then changing existing spectrum usage.

As I've alluded to here in the past, DAB didn't fly due to insufficient coverage, expensive and flaky receivers, and abysmal engineering at the broadcast end.

Industry Canada should have rapidly issued a 3rd installment of the allotment plan based on DAB+ as soon as that standard was ratified or at least when it's technical parameters were known. With 9 stations per multiplex, or ensemble, just putting AM and FM stations on a "mux" would only be the beginning... There would have been room to spare and open up spots for new broadcasters.

If broadcasters don't want IBOC, then test DRM on FM... Like TV, digital forms of broadcasting are eons more efficient, and with the proper transmission methods, multipath and other problems can be greatly mitigated.

Cameron
Old 2011-01-27, 08:48 PM   #264
CamDAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomusername2 View Post
Don't forget the high fidelity of shortwave radio!
If it's DRM on shortwave, then yes, it can sound quite good without the audible phase-shift effects with the mix of direct / reflected skip signals, from what I gather.

Now... Where to find a radio with DRM.... :-)

Cameron
Old 2011-02-03, 02:32 PM   #265
dael
Rookie

In Dundas EZ Rock seems to have a stronger signal than in the past. Interesting how these signals change.
Old 2011-02-15, 12:14 PM   #266
downbeat

Default Another one bites the dust

CRTC approves revocation of CFMZ-DR-1 Toronto:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-98.htm
Old 2011-02-15, 04:21 PM   #267
CamDAB

Uh... yup... it went several months ago when the L9 ensemble, a technical shambles of DAB engineering went dark. Two stations almost never had any audio, two had out of phase audio, one station was on it that was listed under another stations callsign (but had excellent audio).

This is the first revocation of a commercial DAB station that I can think of.

Now we'll see how long it takes the others to follow suit...

Cameron
Old 2011-02-27, 09:21 AM   #268
CamDAB

Default No DAB from Toronto

The L4 ensemble which has been off/on/off/off/on/on/off for quite a while now has been off since last Monday.

Just as of Saturday, L3 (which has been on since I've been listening to DAB) has also now gone silent. (not withstanding the summer heat shutdowns that affected all the commercial ensembles)

If it comes back, I'll post any changes.

Cameron
Old 2011-03-03, 12:59 PM   #269
dael
Rookie

Default DAB Radio Equipment

Do you suppose the CRTC or someone in the government has any intention of compensation to broadcasters and consumers who have invested in DAB equipment? It is something to think about.
Back in the 1950's when we switched to 60 cycles for hydro I remember they did. We took our electric fan to a government depot set up on Parkdale Ave in Hamilton and they exchanged it for a new 60 cycle one.
As there aren't that many consumers with DAB radios it wouldn't be a huge expence.....but then again they wouldn't worry about a few measily votes.
Old 2011-03-03, 01:28 PM   #270
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

The hydro switchover was mandatory since some parts of Ontario were still supplied with 25Hz VAC back then. The purpose of the switchover was to standardize the whole provincial grid on 120VAC@60Hz and the swap of consumer goods was done one-for-one accordingly since consumers had no choice or option.

In this case DAB was never mandatory for consumers and nobody forced them to be early adopters. Like with other consumer electronics platforms that have disappeared (Betamax VCRs, AMPS phones, etc.) DAB gear in Canada has now been rendered superfluous by the de facto shutdown of DAB stations.