Rogers 8642 HD (Nextbox) PVR Owners Thread: Read post #1 ) - Page 39 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-04-16, 07:17 AM   #571
MowerX

Well, here's a fun one. I was watching a recording that turned out to be a rerun. So I stopped it, told it to delete it, and the PVR went back to the recording list.

The program was still listed there.

I figured I accidentally hit "no" instead of "yes", so I selected it and told it to delete it again. I get a popup: "Sorry, [show name] cannot be deleted right now. It is currently being viewed." Um, no it isn't: I'm watching Comedy in the background.

I try a few times, but it refuses. So, I select to play the recording. The screen goes black, the info banner pops up with the show's name and info, and audio starts playing. Except, it's audio from whatever's on Comedy.

I try stopping, but nothing happens. Fast forward - it tries, and when I resume there's still no picture but I can hear Comedy in the background. Oddly enough, I can pause or rewind audio for the recorded buffer and hear from the moment I first stopped the show I was trying to delete.

I can't change channels, or get any other recorded show to start playing - it's stuck in a state thinking it's playing a show that I'm now pretty sure has already been deleted.

And the fun part: the recording is now missing on the list.

TIme for another reboot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-22, 01:23 PM   #572
saintly
Rookie

Default RCA video output is compressed horizontally

I'm using the RCA video output to record to my Panasonic DVD recorder which only has RCA as inputs. The recording is compressed horizontally. I connected the PVR outputs directly to the TV abd its doing the same thing, so it's not the DVD recorder but the PVR. I have run through all the settings on all systems and can't resolve it. The component and HDMI outputs work fine but I can't use them to connect to the DVD recorder.
Also, what other options do I have to archive PVR recordings?
Thanks
Old 2012-04-22, 01:25 PM   #573
alebowgm
Veteran

When using the composite output (RCA Video) or RF output (cable output), its going to squish/re-format the picture as it is trying to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio on the output. If you want the proper aspect ratio, your only option is to use the component or HDMI output and pass it to your DVD recorder. If your DVD recorder doesn't have an input for component or HDMI then your screwed.
Old 2012-04-22, 04:09 PM   #574

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I assume that the aspect ratio is properly maintained. ie 4:3 is still 4:3 (bars on the sides) and 16:9 is still 16:9, however, the 16:9 will have bars all around the image for recordings from an HD channel. This is because the connection is SD and the recording is SD. In order to get this to fill your TV screen, you'll need to invoke the zoom mode of your TV for 16:9, however, the image quality typically suffers quite a bit. See the following FAQs on Black Bars and on Stretch modes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch Modes

Also check out the following post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

One last thing - make sure you haven't inadvertently pressed a stretch mode on the PVR with the # button. Press # repeatedly to get to the "normal" setting. If you use the TV to zoom the picture, make sure you "un-zoom" for 4:3 or for watching the PVR.

This really has nothing to do with the 8642 since it would be the same with any STB. There are no DVD recorders with HDMI inputs and there are very few with component video and none of them accept HD signals from STBs anyway, so you have the same issue. The Cisco/SA STBs do not allow for anamorphic recordings (like most new DVDs), so the DVD recorded is non-anamorphic and must be treated accordingly.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:14 PM   #575
spin498
Rookie

If this had been addressed, sorry, a search didn't pull up a relevant thread.

Since Feb. we have upgraded to 3 of these boxes. During the course of Easter long weekend all 3 were set up to record shows while the family was away. I just discovered that all 3 PVR's are missing some or in one case all the recordings. Has anyone else had this issue? Or was there a signal outage in the Mississauga area while we were away?
Old 2012-04-23, 09:40 PM   #576
saintly
Rookie

Default RCA video output is compressed horizontally

First, thanks for the good information and quick response. But I can't match these tips exactly to my situation (sorry if I just don't get it). So I'm offering some more info on my situation.

The recordings on the Rogers 8642 PVR (I'm in Mississauga) are Austin City Limits WNED PBS shows (HD shows I think). The PVR connects to my Yamaha 567 receiver via HDMI and then goes via HDMI to my Olevia 1080i HD TV (not the best, but good enough at the time for the price). The PVR connects to the DVD recorder via Composite RCA jacks and then goes to the Yamaha via component connectors.

Watching the show in real time or from the PVR is perfect - fills full screen. The PVR is full so I want to archive these classic shows and save them on the DVD. That's where the problem begins.
To get to the source of the problem I connected the PVR composite output directly to the TVs Video 1 input, and I get the same problem. So it's either the PVR composite output or the TV, the way it works as per Alebowgm, or I just don't get it.
My next step is to try the PVR on another HD TV, but I was hoping that I didn't have to do this PVR move.

Thanks in advance for your patience and responses.

By the way ... if I pass the cable signal from the PVR (live cable) through the DVD machine, all cables are compressed top and bottom (not sides) and there is no clipping of any info - it simply get compressed into a letterbox format.
Old 2012-04-24, 12:13 AM   #577

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

As I mentioned in my previous post, the composite output is SD (480i). You have confirmed that it looks the same when connected to the TV as when you record, so there is nothing wrong with your recording.

The PVR's SD (composite) output takes the HD signal and downconverts it to a 4:3 frame, therefore the (previously HD) recorded (and viewed) image will be an image with bars all around, called "windowboxed". You can either watch the programme this way, or you can use the TV's zoom option to have the TV fill the screen with the image. However, the image quality will suffer quite a bit when you zoom, so it's up to you if you wish to watch zoomed or if you want to watch "as is" (windowboxed). I prefer the latter, but others prefer zoomed.

As a test, try recording (or watching) an SD (4:3) channel. It will look the same on the TV whether it comes from the PVR via HDMI or composite, provided the TV doesn't stretch or zoom the image one way or another. There will be bars on the sides of the SD (4:3) image (these bars may be grey or black depending on the make/model of the TV). Think of the Austin City Limits recording as a downconverted image to SD and you may "get it" since the original image is 16:9, now on a 4:3 frame. The recordings (or viewing) by composite is SD, not HD - it's downconverted by the PVR and "something has to give".

The SD recording of an HD channel can also be considered the same as a "letterboxed" programme (16:9) on an SD channel - which I'm sure you've seen - many commercials are like this - black bars all around. If you have grey bars on the sides of SD signals, then the TV is adding those bars and you may be able to change the colour in your TV setup to black, or you can stretch/zoom the image to get rid of the bars.

If you still don't get it, try re-reading the Black Bar and Stretch Mode FAQs, or perhaps someone else can use different language to assist.
Old 2012-04-24, 10:02 AM   #578

Perhaps the following additional explanation will help.

1. The original HD programme is 16:9.
2. The recording (or viewing by composite) is SD, therefore it's 4:3 and the 16:9 image must "fit" on this 4:3 recording somehow.
3. There are two ways this can be done. You can crop the sides of the 16:9 image, or you can add bars above and below. Since most people don't want to lose 33% of their image, the PVR adds bars above and below the 16:9 image in order to make it "fit" the 4:3 recording (composite output).
4. Now that you have a 4:3 image with bars above and below, this needs to be "handled" by the TV, which has a 16:9 screen. This is done by having bars added to the sides of the programme, so you end up with bars all the way around the original 16:9 image.
5. By invoking the zoom function in the TV, these bars can be removed and you end up with the orginal 16:9 image, however, the quality has suffered twice. First when HD was downconverted to SD and second when the image was zoomed and every imperfection of the SD image is doubled.

Hope that helps.

PS. Make sure that the DVD recorder is not set to stretch or zoom the image - usually under the user settings for the recorder.
Old 2012-04-24, 10:28 PM   #579
saintly
Rookie

Disappointed, but i get it.
Thanks for the detailed explanations.
Old 2012-04-28, 10:33 PM   #580
Mr.Nobody

I've posted in the past about a long-standing issue I've had when trying to view a recording within the first 15-20 seconds of it starting to record (black screen, no playback), but in the last few days, I noticed it at long last is fixed!

I entered diagnostic mode (hold "pause" on the remote for 10 secs then press Pg+) and checked what firmware version I'm on (am still not on the new IPG version) and it says "firmware dvr1.9.0_8000HD-HR_F.1304".

I searched on the forum and on Google to see if I could identify a firmware version recently in use (ie: some time this year). Didn't find anything.

Can anyone confirm that Rogers is still updating the 'old' IPG firmware?
Old 2012-04-29, 12:28 AM   #581

Here's the thread on the new firmware. Read post one and the links there regarding issues, version(s), etc..

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150889
Old 2012-06-02, 05:07 PM   #582
jjpun

Default Hard drive on pvr

I am just wondering how to figure out the hard drive capacity on the 8642 nextbox. Was told I have the 500g, but I want to confirm.

Thanks
Old 2012-06-02, 05:19 PM   #583

Your post was moved to this existing thread on the 8642. Record at least 10 hours of HD and if that uses about 40-50% of the space, then you have a 160. If it uses only about 10-15% of the space, then you have a 500.

Per post 1 of this thread, the % used is not that accurate until you've recorded over 10 hours or so.

Depending on which firmware you're running you may be able to "see" the size in the diagnostics...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Useful Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-06-12, 06:53 PM   #584
sammey

Location: Ottawa, Canada, CISCO 9865 x 3, Cisco 4642 x 1, SA 3200 x 1, Veteran, Canadian Forces & RCMP
Default Pause Time

How long can you pause a live program with a 8642 HDPVR.

Thanks
Old 2012-06-12, 07:07 PM   #585

sammey: One hour. I recommend that instead of pausing that you press the record button. That way your programme will be recorded and you don't need to worry about timing.

Tags
8642, audio drpouts, cisco, cisco 8642, closed captioning, download, firmware, freezing, hd-pvr, live, pause, pvr, recording, rogers