Rogers 8642 HD (Nextbox) PVR Owners Thread: Read post #1 ) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2010-03-11, 05:33 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Rogers 8642 HD (Nextbox) PVR Owners Thread: Read post #1 )

This thread is for owners of the Rogers 8642 HD PVR to provide us with their feedback on the set top box and discuss its use with other owners.

See the following post for a list of known issues:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...122118&page=49

To discuss the new firmware/IPG, please use the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150889

We also have a separate Whole Home PVR thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150244

Please Note:

This thread is NOT for non-owners to ask questions about the 8642. If you would like ask questions then please post in the New 8642 PVR from Rogers discussion thread.

Non-owners posting in this thread will have their posts removed.

Check out the following thread for differences between the 8300HD and 8642HD (this is now mostly obsolete as the new firmware/IPG has become available for the 8642).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...80#post1121780

Edit by 57: Does the PVR not report % space properly? Many people have reported the % space doesn't seem correct (internal and/or external), especially if there is not a lot of space used. Record at least 10 hours of HD and then see the percentages - they should then be fine.

Last edited by 57; 2013-03-29 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Updated by 57
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-11, 05:34 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

reserved
Old 2010-03-12, 10:32 PM   #3
doingnothing
Rookie

Thumbs down

I having been running the 8642 for 2.5 hours

So far I donít see network settings, no streaming media. Donít know if Rogers has this enabled yet.

Guide is the same as the old one, menu for settings is the same as the old.

eSATA port does function.

Would I recommend this NO not yet.
doingnothing is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-15, 01:53 PM   #4
Kdee

My first impressions are as follows:

- There's no Quick Start Guide. That alone makes it worth it.

- It is faster at loading Rogers On Demand versus the HD box that we had.

Other than that, it seems like every other Rogers box. I haven't tried any of the ports at the back yet. I'll report back when I get a chance to do so.
Kdee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-17, 01:25 PM   #5
lonetreejim

I have a few preliminary observations to make while I wait to record enough stuff to put the TB drive through it's paces.

Plus side:
- Law & Order: SVU is on at 9:00p and 10:00p tonight. I set it to record at 9:00p and selected all episodes at any time. Both the 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock shows highlighted red. Doing this on my 8300 would have turned 9 o'clock red but I would have had to scroll over to 10 o'clock to see that it too was going to record.

- The FF/REW status bar displays the time offset, in minutes, from the start of the program. It is also divided visually into 4 sections, apparently 15 minutes per section for a 1 hour program.

- No Quick Start guide. Guide button works as it did on the 8300 prior to the recent upgrade.

- The menus are generally more pleasing to look at. IMO better graphics... less blocky.

Minus side:
- While watching a live or prerecorded program press the Guide button and then press the Info button. The Info text looks really bad (poorly rendered). Pressing the Info button directly from the program itself (either live or recorded) or from the List menu and the Info text looks quite nice.

- The front panel display is really bright. I may need to put a neutral density filter over it.

- No new options in Settings or List Preferences.

- The PIP windows is still annoyingly placed to accommodate a SD frame.

- The on screen menus are not HD.
Old 2010-03-18, 09:13 AM   #6
lonetreejim

Default Sample Screen Shots... 1

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/7d154e23.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/3db7f01f.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/23bd715e.jpg
Old 2010-03-18, 09:14 AM   #7
lonetreejim

Default Sample Screen Shots... 2

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/4f75c576.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/59a5a2c6.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/6378c458.jpg

Last edited by hugh; 2010-03-22 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Please limit images to 800 pixels wide. Edited to make thread legible.
lonetreejim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-18, 09:21 AM   #8
whitbyterry

It does look better. Thanks for posting!
whitbyterry is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-21, 09:13 AM   #9
lonetreejim

Default New features found in the 8642...

I have discovered a couple new features with the 8642 that are not in the 8300 STB.

- Much to my surprise and my pleasure I have found that this box remembers where I left off in viewing previously recorded programs. I have partially viewed several programs and when I go back it remembers my current location in each one. The location memory has survived several power button cycles but I have not tried to see if it persists through a hard power cycle.

- I often delay the start of a live program to build up enough buffer that I can skip the commercials. The status bar has always given a graphical idea of how close you are to being caught up to real time but the 8642 goes one step further. When you FF/REV/PAUSE from the buffer (or from a scheduled recording that is still being recorded) it displays the time of day you are currently at. In the example below you can see that I paused at 8:51. If it was really 9:00 I'd know I was 9 minutes delayed from real time.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/a...ime_of_Day.jpg

Last edited by hugh; 2010-03-22 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Please limit images to 800 pixels wide. Edited to make thread legible.
lonetreejim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-22, 10:21 AM   #10
slyboy

Jim, you beat me to the punch... I noticed that feature last night as well and was extremely pleased to see it remember the location of multiple programs, as I flipped between shows during my own testing. That has been a really desired feature for many of us for a long time. I too have not yet checked if the memory of each show's left off location will survive once the power to the unit is pulled, but I will find out soon when I move the box to a permanent location.
Old 2010-03-22, 02:07 PM   #11
lonetreejim

Default Copy to VCR

I see that the Copy to VCR feature has been removed as an option.

Old 2010-03-23, 04:48 PM   #12
lonetreejim

I have noticed it takes a second or two for the audio to resume after a fast forward or rewind. I'll need to re-tune my commercial skipping finger to stop a tad sooner.
Old 2010-03-24, 06:40 PM   #13
lonetreejim

I have also noticed I cannot pause and then advance frame by frame. Slowmo by pressing the Play key while playing still works.
Old 2010-03-25, 08:19 PM   #14
slyboy

Default Bookmarks after Power Cycle!

I can report that the 8642 does in fact remember bookmarks for different recordings, even after the power to the unit is switched fully off (box is unplugged). This means the flag for where you left off each recording is very likely stored on the hard drive and not just in flash memory on the 8642 mainboard.
Old 2010-03-25, 11:23 PM   #15
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
Not necessarily. Flash memory also retains contents when powered down.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message

Tags
8642, audio drpouts, cisco, cisco 8642, closed captioning, download, firmware, freezing, hd-pvr, live, pause, pvr, recording, rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.