Future of the /A\ stations - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-06-30, 08:21 AM   #76
ralph_sinclair

Do Road to Avonlea and The Littlest Hobo county as priority programming?

I think these are about the only thing I watch on /A\.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-30, 11:38 AM   #77
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat
CTV is seeking "regulatory flexibility" in priority programming and described video requirements for its A stations to ensure that they "are in a position to continue to operate in the short term."
Which, to me, says "Dear CRTC, our /A\ Channel business model is totally screwed up. Please save us from ourselves!"

CTV has used the /A\ Channels purely as their /B\ team of stations so that they could buy up as many of the top programs from the U.S. to keep them out of Global's hands. Now it appears that the plan wasn't such a great one after all for the corporate bottom line since top rated shows on /A\ like Fringe and Flashforward were not just taking Global viewers away but their own CTV viewers too, resulting in the advertising $$$ of Peter being needed to pay Paul.

Time for the CRTC to take the /A\ Channel licenses back if CTV does not divest them asap.
Old 2010-06-30, 11:57 AM   #78
LONSat

So if they are not going to run any priority programming. What is left more American programming or more strip programming like what they want to do this fall at 10pm.
Accepting for the moment that they can't make money on Canadian programming, they don't seem to make any money on first run American programming either. They can't sell the advertising OR they paid too much for the US stuff. A Cartt headline indicates that CTV is claiming a 98 million dollar loss. That's a lot of advertising to sell or I go back to what I have said all along they have paid too much for the US inventory.
Old 2010-07-02, 03:39 AM   #79
windows7

http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports/...ion_since_2007

Is the $98m divided over all 5 stations? If so, that makes $19m/station. A heck of a lot, yes, but that will just have to be CTVg's cross to bear if they want to buy up all that lucrative US programming and keeping it out of the hands of competitors (Global/Shaw, Citytv/Rogers and now Channel Zero). Furthermore, that $19m/station over 3 years comes out to $6m/station/year.

Look, they either got to p*** or get off the pot. You either take the financial hit, or you sell it and let another try to buy it and if not, very sadly, let the local stations die off (and try again in a few years when the TV landscape has changed w/ either new companies restarting up, or the same giving it a 2nd go). But don't tell us they want to further decrease Canadian programming, increase American and tell us this is just the way it "has" to be.

They (CTVg) want it both ways. I'd LOVE to see what they'd do if they didn't have /A\ (which acts like a /B\) to fall back on for all that US programming they'd have to otherwise shelve!! lol What would they do? In what shape would CTV (and their parent company) be in if they couldn't stick it on the A's. So they should be GRATEFUL they have it to fall back on an counter-program w/ CTV. But, NO. They throw a fit and say say "give us more (US programming avails)".
Old 2010-07-02, 12:39 PM   #80
nakedgord

^Throwing fits and tantrums seems to be CTVgm's first quill to pull as the business model they choose to operate with.
Old 2010-07-02, 08:18 PM   #81
DanJ

Quote:
Does this mean CTVgm is exiting the London market?! Bob FM was the only radio station they owned in London, now the only property left is CFPL-TV- I wonder if its next to be sold?! Corus would be a good fit since they own CFPL-AM & CFPL-FM, adding the TV station into the mix would give them good opportunities for cross promotion.
Maybe they can add the London Free Press to the mix as well. And to top it off, gain CBC affiliation for the TV station. Nah, that would never work LOL.

Quote:
I wonder what Rogers will do now, they can't operate this station out of the CFPL facilities and they don't own any other radio properties in London so are they going to build new studios from scratch?! Maybe they will just move Bob FM into the Rogers Television studios- ha ha!
Nothing says Rogers can't carry on as they do now at the CFPL building and pay rent and shared costs.
Old 2010-07-03, 10:28 AM   #82
mjjl

Quote:
Nothing says Rogers can't carry on as they do now at the CFPL building and pay rent and shared costs.
Definitely true. In Wingham, after Blackburn Group sold off CKNX-TV, they remained in the same building as CKNX Radio (still owned by Blackburn) right up to the end in 2009. These arrangements can be done, although they are probably not too common. I think it's more common with sharing towers for transmitters.
Old 2010-07-04, 08:50 AM   #83
classicsat
Veteran

The could run out of the Cable office on York St.

They could lease real-estate down town.
Old 2010-07-29, 12:39 PM   #84
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat View Post
See this:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-413.htm

CTV is seeking "regulatory flexibility" in priority programming and described video requirements for its A stations to ensure that they "are in a position to continue to operate in the short term."
Just to remind everyone that the deadline for submission of interventions/comments is this Tuesday (3 August 2010).
Old 2010-10-07, 12:29 PM   #85
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat View Post
Just announced today in Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-743

Quote:
The Commission denies an application by CTVglobemedia Inc., on behalf of its subsidiary CTV Corp., to reduce the overall minimum level of Canadian programming that must be broadcast by its ‘A’ stations from 60% to 55%, to eliminate exhibition requirements relating to priority programming, and to amend requirements related to the provision of described video.
Old 2010-10-08, 06:45 PM   #86
vjose78

Does any of this really matter? The A channels are about to be sold to Bell along with the rest of CTV. Who knows Bell may want to sell them off anyway, or perhaps they should be forced to sell them off by the CRTC in order to buy CTV. Either way, I like what I read about why these networks don't reduce expenditures on American programming, and I agree 100%. Why do CTV, Global, Citytv, A, and other Canadian broadcasters spend billions of dollars a year buying programming which we can see at no extra cost on CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and CW. Their money would be better spent buying programs from American networks that we don't receive like F/X, TNT, USA, TBS, Syfy, and others as well as creating their own Canadian programming. They could save millions of dollars a year this way at the very least, eliminate simsubbing, and wouldn't have to moan anymore about working their schedules around those of their American counterparts.
Old 2010-10-08, 07:05 PM   #87
Nanuuk
Veteran

Very good points vjose78. Trouble is they are addicted to the simsub advertising revenues. And until the CRTC (or the Federal Government) holds their feet to the fire and insist they increase Canadian content or disallows simsubbing they will not change their ways. Even with the obvious abundance of american programming available from the big 4. Heck, they could bring in British television at half the price and still use their own commercials. At any rate, I hope they return to what I perceived to be an A Channel strength. Strong local programming with non mainstream content.
Old 2010-10-08, 08:27 PM   #88
vjose78

Yes, British programming and also Australian programming would also be a good source for them. On a side note I would love for somebody to add the Australian, New Zealand, and Irish channels approved by the CRTC long ago to their lineup, anyone else agree?
Old 2010-10-08, 08:30 PM   #89
Jase88

The majority of the Canadian viewing public wants to watch US programming. Otherwise, we would have more overseas programming here.
Old 2010-10-08, 08:37 PM   #90
vjose78

Yes, but US programming is readily available on the US networks and to top it off, most who have ota tv even get the US networks. Either way we would have more value with our tv subscriptions if we weren't paying twice for the same thing, ie Canadian networks and US networks which air virtually the same programming. Perhaps the CRTC should just remove all ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX networks from their eligible satellite lists as they pretty useless if the same content is available on the Canadian networks. That then frees up tons of bandwidth for cable companies and makes it so the broadcasters don't have to compete with the US networks. Win-win for everyone I think.