Future of the /A\ stations - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-06-22, 01:56 PM   #61
MCIBUS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It is true CTVgm has the rights to far more shows than they can show on a single network. However, the have been unable to make the /A\ network profitable (or at lest so they claim). This is likely largely due to the /A\ stations always getting the second best programming, making the audience smaller. It is for this reason that I feel it likely that CTVgm will dispose of the /A\ stations.

But if they buy for both CTV & A this way they can sub on both nets at the same time.

I some how doubt they would do this. First of all, don't forget CanwestGlobal had a secondary network that they were unable to make profitable so they shut it down, so why would they try it again. Secondly, if CTVgm can't make a go of it with their large selection of programming, I don't think Global would expect to be able to do it with their meager selection.

True enough, but real-estate isn't that hard to come by in Ottawa.
I don't know the out come of A Stations.

All I do know is, a network can only show so many shows on their 'primary' network. They can only fit so many shows, I'm not sure about Corus, but CTVgm is natorious for simo subing and they can only simo sub so many shows oin CTV even if they own the rights to US shows in Canada. Like I said earlier if they own a show from ABC & one from NBC and the US nets show those at the same time CTV can only simo sub asuming both are hour long shows.

But by owning A they can simo-sub it.

True they may be loosing money on A but then again I'll bet all the providers Rogers,Shaw,Bell,etc are probally loosing money on alot of their specialty stations, and in all honesty their only been a few that have closed down-Edge TV,Womens Sports Network,Cool TV, maybe one or two more that I'm forgetting, the others basically got rebranded under a different name and some show somewhat different programing.

So true A maybe loosing money but then again its a net you can simo-sub and get some Ad revenue from it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-22, 02:03 PM   #62
MCIBUS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm023 View Post
To stir the pot a bit... BOB-FM which is CTV Owned, in the same building as CFPL and shares many resources with them was sold to Rogers today.
The same in Ottawa. If Shaw buys A Ottawa A Ottawa will probally have to move as Bob M,Majic 100,CFRA,Team 1200 and now CTV(CJOH) along with A Ottawa are in the same building,heck A Ottawa & CJOH share the same studios. In all honesting I can't see how A Ottawa could do a 6PM newscast now that CJOH is doing one in their studios?
Old 2010-06-22, 02:15 PM   #63
PlayitSimple

Quote:
To stir the pot a bit... BOB-FM which is CTV Owned, in the same building as CFPL and shares many resources with them was sold to Rogers today.
Does this mean CTVgm is exiting the London market?! Bob FM was the only radio station they owned in London, now the only property left is CFPL-TV- I wonder if its next to be sold?! Corus would be a good fit since they own CFPL-AM & CFPL-FM, adding the TV station into the mix would give them good opportunities for cross promotion.
Old 2010-06-22, 04:08 PM   #64
cm023

Quote:
Does this mean CTVgm is exiting the London market?! Bob FM was the only radio station they owned in London, now the only property left is CFPL-TV- I wonder if its next to be sold?! Corus would be a good fit since they own CFPL-AM & CFPL-FM, adding the TV station into the mix would give them good opportunities for cross promotion.
I bet CTV tried to give them up as a package deal, but Rogers didn't want CFPL.
Old 2010-06-22, 04:35 PM   #65
PlayitSimple

Quote:
I'm CTV tried to give them up as a package deal, but Rogers didn't want CFPL.
So, they are trying to get rid of the A stations, interesting!

Rogers sucks and everthing they touch turns to crap. Who knows what the heck they will do with BOB FM, it is the only half decent station in this city (although it plays far too much 'whatever' music instead of focusing on 80s and 90s). If they do change the format, hopefully they go with Classic rock as there is no station covering this genre here or anywhere near London. Great to hear they didn't want CFPL, CTVgm has pretty much destroyed this station, if Rogers got a hold of it they would probably finish it off.

I wonder what Rogers will do now, they can't operate this station out of the CFPL facilities and they don't own any other radio properties in London so are they going to build new studios from scratch?! Maybe they will just move Bob FM into the Rogers Television studios- ha ha!
Old 2010-06-22, 04:56 PM   #66
magnet

Who says any of the staff need to be in London?
Many other stations have studios in other cities...
For Example Mountain FM in Canmore uses the Rogers' studios in North East Calgary.
Mike Cranston of CHNS/ CHFX reads the local news for MBS Radio stations in New Brunswick from the Halifax Studios.
CTV Halifax runs CJCB & CKCW (CTV Sydney & CTV Moncton) all from the Halifax Studios.
Global Calgary remotely produces (including robotic camera operators) Global Maritimes.
Old 2010-06-22, 05:00 PM   #67
LONSat

Yes I have read elsewhere that Voice tracking may be in Bob's, Jack's or more whatever's future.
Old 2010-06-22, 05:04 PM   #68
magnet

A good DJ can voice track their 4 hour shift in 20 to 30 minutes.

You know their shift is voice tracked when they don't mention the current time or weather. They may say "coming up to the top of the hour" instead of 4:51 pm.
Old 2010-06-22, 05:59 PM   #69
cm023

Quote:
Who says any of the staff need to be in London?
It would completely wreck the current "Local" feel of BOB-FM. Bob is one of the only stations in London with live weekend mornings and doesn't run syndicated or VT'd programing like crazy.

I can understand VT'ing for a station Canmore or an Overnight slot but in a City the size London there is no good excuse why there shouldn't be live bodies for all Dayparts including Evenings.
Old 2010-06-23, 08:26 AM   #70
mjjl

Quote:
So, they are trying to get rid of the A stations, interesting!
Nobody has said CTVgm is trying to get rid of the 'A' stations at this time. Now, it's possible it could happen, but there's nothing concrete to indicate this. It's all speculation right now.

BOB FM already voicetracked certain slots on weekends. I remember driving on a Sunday evening two years ago in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, and a weather report came on BOB. All it mentioned was that there was a slight risk of thunderstorms that evening, nothing about the storm and tornado watches/warnings that were out. And I wasn't too far from the studio so it's not like they wouldn't have known there was a storm.
Old 2010-06-29, 01:41 PM   #71
downbeat

Default Changes sought for priority programming and described video

See this:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-413.htm

CTV is seeking "regulatory flexibility" in priority programming and described video requirements for its A stations to ensure that they "are in a position to continue to operate in the short term."
Old 2010-06-29, 03:22 PM   #72
LONSat

Priority programming - the only priority programming they have left is news. Is it not? Based on the one year renewal they are actually producing more news in London then they have to, the 6:00 pm and 11:00 pm newscasts. I believe the 6pm newcasts would be enough by themselves to meet the requirements in their 1 yr renewal.

So if they are asking for flexibility in the requirements, which I believe they are already exceeding, would that not mean they probably want to eliminate all the newscasts. If that is the case then turn off the transmitter because they will be just a rebroadcaster of American programming.

They already have a application to spin the A's into a separate operating entity. This all looks like the prelude to a sale or shut down.

Maybe Channel zero would be interested in the end.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:52 PM   #73
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

I agree. This is ridiculous. Here in Ottawa, CTVgm owns 2/3 of the local broadcasters. If they can't make the /A\ network profitable, sell them to someone who can. I will certainly be filing an intervention on this one and recommend everyone else do the same.
Old 2010-06-29, 11:57 PM   #74
mjjl

This CRTC filing appears to have nothing to do with local news. Priority programming, according to the CRTC website, "are Canadian programs in the categories of drama, long-form documentary, music/variety, entertainment magazines and regionally-produced programs other than news and sports."
Old 2010-06-30, 07:57 AM   #75
LONSat

I would have to dig deep through the A channels schedule because besides news I would be hard pressed to think on any other Canadian programming especially in those categories that they broadcast now.