Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Official New 8642 PVR from Rogers

188K views 356 replies 130 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yes, it's for real.

I visited a Rogers Plus store yesterday and saw the new PVR.
Here's some pics:
http://www.twitpic.com/16y7hb
http://www.twitpic.com/176dns

And yes, it's for sale only at $499.99 (160 GB). I was told they need to liquidate their old stock first.

I was also told that a 320 GB model will soon be available. Not sure about a 500 GB model.

I tweeted @rogersbuzz about this, but it seems I know more about it than them!

#6 ·
Here are the goodies I like.

MPEG-4 (H.264) Decoding
Dual MPEG-4 (H.264) up to HP@L4.0 (HD)
Dual VC1 AP@L2&3
Dual MPEG-2 up to MP@HL
1920 x 1080p 30 Hz
1920 x 1080p 24 Hz

Graphics up to 960 x 540 resolution (maybe that means 16:9 GUI finally).

Ethernet connection and personal media player for playback of pictures, video and audio from standards-based home network connected devices.

#9 ·
When I spoke to a Cable Tech Representative at Rogers I was told that this new PVR would be available in 2-3 months, maybe 4 for rental. I have a Rogers HD PVR right now for rental so I can swap that one for the new one when it is available at a Rogers store.

#11 ·
Sweet! I'm still renting so a swap will be in order when it's available.

From the PDF:
Whole Home DVR enables sharing and managing of video services throughout the home to other connected DVRs, set-tops and consumer electronic devices using standards-based connection and security technologies (optional software)

I hope that will be included in the Rogers version. I've been thinking about getting a TV for the bedroom and have been looking into what sort of technology that will allow streaming from the PVR.

#12 ·
Its nice to have a larger Hard Drive and a black coloured PVR,but until they offer a "TRUE" dual PVR(with two remotes, not just one) that can operate the tunes in the same room without interfering with each other tuner and can work with one or two TV's with the same PVR, then and only then will it be 'truely' a new PVR. Other wise its just a upgrade of the same PVR only with larger Harfd Druive.

#13 ·
What I'd like to see is a PVR where you could have one in different rooms and be able to share recordings or even tuners among them. This way, if you had 3 PVRs, it wouldn't matter which one recorded a show as it could be watched on any TV connected to a PVR. Being able to use two or more PVRs in the same room would also be nice.

#18 ·
MPEG-4 is something Rogers needs more than we do. It's better compression, not better picture. Although it certainly wouldn't hurt for HD-OD content; but that, again, what Rogers needs, since they are probably not making much on that now, what with everyone asking for refunds because of the PQ.

#19 ·
wprager I totally agree with what you said, & MPEG-4 support is the only big thing right now that I see this box bringing to the table. The other stuff is nice but to me not such a big deal.

I get the feeling that this box is just Rogers answer to Bell's PVR's & that really no major improvements are planned for the service, although there is always hope they will update the SARA software. The new box could just mean Cisco is no longer going to make the 8300HD & this is it's replacement.

#20 ·
SARA upgrades has to be part of the medium term plans, with a subset being compatible with the existing 8300 as there is such a huge installed base. The rental charge will be likely be higher than the 8300 to prevent a portion of the existing rental customers just swapping units.

The black colour is a nice to blend with most other AV equipment. External HDD capability is a must. One nice enhancement, to bring it into the current era, would be discrete on/off codes. A faster processor to reduce boot times, especially when an external HDD is attached, would also be nice.

#23 ·
Rogers didn't develop the iGuide used in Atlantic Canada.

Speaking to the small HD size, a Motorola rep once explained to me that the manufacturers get old stock of hard drives that are obsolete in the consumer market from a size perspective at deep discounts to put in their PVRs. They could put 1 TB drives in, but it would increase the cost significantly.

#26 ·
They could put 1 TB drives in, but it would increase the cost significantly.
There is still some price floor for obsolete drives, unless they purchased a huge quantity of them as surplus. Just a couple of weeks back I purchased a 500 GB IDE drive for my PVR for $92. I could buy a 1 TB SATA drive for less than that. I'm sure Cisco can buy their drives for less than what I pay. I wonder how much they'll charge for the 500 GB drive vs 160 on this new PVR. Have they moved to SATA or are they still stuck with IDE? Sooner or later they'll reach a point where using obsolete gear costs more than current equipment.

#27 ·
I'm glad I have the "free rental for lifetime" promo from the first "Ditch the dish" campaign! Just have to wait a little longer to get my hands on it.

Feature wise, I expect them to have external HDD access as the 8300 currently has it and I can't see them taking away a current feature (although this is Rogers, who knows!) on newer hardware.

Also, dreaming here, but the streaming content from other networked sources sounds amazing, but VERY likely not implemented by Rogers. Otherwise, I could have said goodbye to my HTPC with XBMC!

#31 ·
Feature wise, I expect them to have external HDD access as the 8300 currently has it and I can't see them taking away a current feature (although this is Rogers, who knows!) on newer hardware.
I would expect this too. The box is just being rolled out in the US with ODN (Navigator) software, not SARA. One user reports that his My DVD Expander did not work, and firewire was not active. There are no reports of it working, yet. I am sure someone will try an external as soon as it is available here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.