TVA Sports Approved - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-03-01, 04:41 PM   #1
vjose78

Default TVA Sports Approved

The CRTC today approved a new French cat 2 national sports network known as TVA Sports. Not sure when it is supposed to launch but should be good for French Canadians. Will also be available in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-02, 01:18 PM   #2
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

I can see this going well in Quebec. But what sports would they play? Eithe then RDS. I basically see them offering french language of English Sporting events.

I can see more local sports JR Hockey(not sure of the name in Quebec League).

Stuff like that.
Old 2010-03-02, 02:11 PM   #3
PlayitSimple

Quote:
Not sure when it is supposed to launch but should be good for French Canadians.
Who's to say it will launch?! Many channels are approved by the CRTC every year yet less then 1% actually launch. In this case it probably will launch because Quebecor also owns Videotron, which pretty much gives you instant carriage- nothing like owning a cable company.

As for content, that could be a sticking point. I noticed in the decision the CRTC released, TVA asked for the commission to intervene regarding RDS' contract for Canadiens games which contains some sort of exclusivity clause but the CRTC (rightfully so) declined to get involved.

I think it will be a tough go for TVA Sports, RDS probably has the french rights locked up for a lot of the sports leagues and other events. They may have to wait until some of these deals end and put in a bid to try and get the rights away from RDS.
Old 2010-03-02, 05:21 PM   #4
vjose78

Well content-wise, they are supposed to be carrying mainstream sports. So that could amount to english games with French commentators for all we know. I fully expect this one to launch since other TVA networks exist like LCN and Shopping TVA. Seems like a natural extension of their brand.
Old 2010-03-03, 12:19 AM   #5
BillytheGreek

The only reason why his channel was created was if PKP were to purchase the Habs he would put all (except Saturday's game on OTA on reg TVA) on this new channel. Now the channel is worthless.
Old 2010-03-03, 10:31 AM   #6
julie_rose_

another sport channel. i am absolutly not a sport fan. yeark. my opinion but i respect others that like sports. the only thing i did watch is when canada won the gold for men hockey at the olympics. seriously, i don't know how can someone could watch a full week of hockey. It would give me a heart attack.(LOL).

But i can't wait for another retro channel. This is something that i would like to have in english this time. Too bad that the only thing that company seam to be interesting is Sports. Same thing for Rogers.
Old 2010-03-03, 06:05 PM   #7
Wayne
Veteran

Get used to it julie - you will continue to see more sports channels. Sports is one of the few reasons to continue to subscribe to cable. You can get regular TV shows through online sites, the iTunes store, or Bittorrent but that has less appeal for something that people want to see live, or nearly live, like sports.
Old 2010-03-03, 09:05 PM   #8
U

Default Why?

We have RDS that pretty much gives all the sports we can handle in French... Not sure there is a viable market for this new one.
Old 2010-03-04, 08:01 AM   #9
Jaymeister

Location: Scarborough, Rogers Cable, 8642HD, LG 55LW5600, Sony BDVE980W

Maybe with a second French sports outlet siphoning events from RDS we will see the return of Mini-Putt!