Jesus was 'gay:' Elton John - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2010-02-23, 11:40 AM   #31
WestCDA

Quote:
Again, I know of no reputable scholar that denies the existence of the historical figure
As I said, it's not a popular view - but it certainly has been contested. Some interesting history and links from the Wiki page on the Christ Myth, including early and modern proponents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-23, 12:05 PM   #32
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
it's not a popular view
Frankly its a quack view that has been rejected by scholars. I'm sure I can find a quack that would say that Hitler or Alexander the Great or Pope Pius IX didn't exist but honestly just saying that somebody somewhere denies the existence of someone is silly.

From your thread

Quote:
Despite the efforts of its promoters, the Christ myth theory has never achieved mainstream academic credibility.
Again from your thread

Quote:
For the above reasons the Christ myth theory is rejected by essentially all biblical scholars and historians.[Note 5] As N. T. Wright has stated:
How Do We Know that Jesus Existed? It is quite difficult to know where to start, because actually the evidence for Jesus is so massive that, as a historian, I want to say we have got almost as much good evidence for Jesus as for anyone in the ancient world. Obviously there are some characters from the ancient world for whom we have statues and inscriptions. On the other hand, we have statues of gods and goddesses in the ancient world too, and so you can never quite be sure. But in Jesus' case, the evidence all points firmly back to the existence of this great figure in the 20s through to around 30 of the first century. And all the evidence fits so well with what we know of the Judaism of the period (even though much of it was eventually written down a generation later) that I think there are hardly any historians today, in fact I don't know of any historians today who doubt the existence of Jesus. There are one or two. A man called [G. A.] Wells is the only one who has made much of it recently. From time to time you get someone like J. M. Allegro, who a generation ago wrote a book on the basis of the Dead Sea Scrolls saying that Christianity was all about a cult of the sacred mushroom. No Jewish, Christian, atheist, or agnostic scholars have ever taken that seriously since. It is quite clear that in fact Jesus is a very, very well documented character of real history. So I think that question can be put to rest.
Old 2010-02-23, 01:13 PM   #33
WestCDA

Quote:
just saying that somebody somewhere denies the existence of someone is silly.
I'm not 'just saying' anything, and not trying to lend credence to the cause. I merely linked an article that details past and contemporary supporters (including scholars) of the Christ myth previously raised in this thread - discredited though they and their assertions may be by others. Sorry you find that 'silly'.
Old 2010-02-24, 09:46 PM   #34
lima20

Elton must have a new album about to drop soon? I guess this is his own way of emulating the John Lenon comment " we are bigger than Jesus Christ"?

Why pain attention to a guy that wears a Toupe
Old 2010-02-25, 05:34 PM   #35
JesseJ
Veteran

LOL, you think Christians care about history? They're too busy with His story (see what I did there...) to care about what truly mght have happened. I have never denied the existince of Jesus himself. But I think of him more along the lines of Ghandi, and Martin Luther King than an incarnation of a spirit. But we just don't know, and 2000 years of history has conveniently been misplaced for 2000 years....

I hardly think Jesus dressed all in white, had long flowing light brown hair, blue eyes and light skin, yet that's who is being plastered as the saviour. (know why saviour is spelled with a 'U'? King James...who conveienently had the book translated to his language...)
Old 2010-02-26, 10:02 AM   #36
Sirius Guy

A few miracle stories written decades after his death, copies of copies cobbled togother, parts of which were thrown out as false gospel over the centuries. All written in the 1st century Roman empire (iron age) and today you have half the people on earth thinking it is a legitimate reason to form their lives around.

Want to see a modern day Jesus, check out Sai Baba, millions of follower's does the same types of miracles as Jesus, born of a virgin. Many living eye witnesses to his miracles but he does not warrant an hour on cable news.

http://www.psychics.co.uk/saibaba/saibaba.html
Old 2010-02-26, 10:09 AM   #37
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
History has often shown that people "of faith" will believe anything. Just look at all the hoaxes over the years about crying pictures or statues etc. Even when it's shown to be a fraud, they still continue to believe in the "miracle".
Old 2010-02-26, 04:21 PM   #38
lima20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Guy View Post
A few miracle stories written decades after his death, copies of copies cobbled togother, parts of which were thrown out as false gospel over the centuries. All written in the 1st century Roman empire (iron age) and today you have half the people on earth thinking it is a legitimate reason to form their lives around.

Want to see a modern day Jesus, check out Sai Baba, millions of follower's does the same types of miracles as Jesus, born of a virgin. Many living eye witnesses to his miracles but he does not warrant an hour on cable news.

http://www.psychics.co.uk/saibaba/saibaba.html
I know of Baba, and you are right, millions of Hindus worship this guy, donating moneya nd all that to him, and he drives around in rolls royce, bentley and lives in mansions.

Hey....if people find happiness in all this, good for them. Surely we can't be that gullible?
Old 2010-02-26, 07:12 PM   #39
Nanuuk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
History has often shown that people "of faith" will believe anything. Just look at all the hoaxes over the years about crying pictures or statues etc. Even when it's shown to be a fraud, they still continue to believe in the "miracle".
A blanket statement that is not true. It is just as true of agnostics or any other identifiable group.
Old 2010-02-27, 11:15 AM   #40
Sirius Guy

Heard a comedian yesterday commenting on miracles.

"They want to make the last pope (John Paul) a saint because they have proof he performed miracles. Really, the guy die of a urinary tract infection.
He had less miraculous power's than cranberry juice."
Old 2010-03-07, 12:55 AM   #41
Ricketty Rabbit

I don't care whether or not he was gay -- I just want to know why they gave him a Mexican name.