Bell PVR 9242 Picture Freezing - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2010-01-09, 11:07 AM   #1
MerlinTI
Rookie

Default Bell PVR 9242 Picture Freezing

I own 2 Bell PVR's on the same switch. The 1st is a 9200 running flawlessly for 4 years. The 2nd, and where the problem is, is a 2 year old 9242. Until the last month it to has run with no issues. However over the last 3 weeks it is sporadically freezing the video while the audio continues to play. When this happens none of the controls on the remotes or front panel function except the power/reset. Sometimes the unit will play for 2 or 3 days without problem other time no more than an hour. The only solution I have found it to reboot. Sometimes it comes back with error 0521 after the reboot sometimes nothing and simply starts playing normally. Bell technical was of little help only suggesting: 1. Use the Component Output feed as the HDMI is sometimes a problem and 2. Plug the unit directly into the wall and not a power conditioner. Neither of these are the issue as the setup has been the same for 2 years.
Bell has offered a refurbished unit for $149. Before I accept this are there any other solutions that have worked for others? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-01-09, 11:15 AM   #2
Pinza
Veteran

If you have had a power outage recently, a "Check Switch" might clear up the freezing. That used to be very common in older versions of the software on all bell receivers. Might also be worth checking that the software is up to date, although the 9242 is set to do this automatically.
Old 2010-09-12, 09:00 PM   #3
pcp166
Rookie

Default Bell PVR 9242 Picture Freezing

Our Bell PVR 9242 is just about 2 years old. We're having the EXACT same problem as described by Merlin TI (thread #1). I agree that Bell technical were of little help. Only gave the one suggestion about the cables and offered a refurbished unit for $162.
I know how to get to the "Check Switch" option (Menu, 6, 1, 1) but I didn't dare continue from there, not knowing what it will do, if it will change some settings that shouldn't be touched.
Can someone please give me more info on this option?
Old 2010-09-12, 09:32 PM   #4
Costa

If you decide to do a "Check Switch", not only may it resolve your problem, but the new results will show you a problem if there is one.

I never understood why people refrained from saving the new results. Example, if you're check switch results show that you're missing sat 91, than it means that you weren't getting 91 anyways.

A Check Switch test will allow the receiver to find out what kind of hardware its connected to and signals its receiving.
Old 2010-09-13, 06:39 PM   #5
pcp166
Rookie

MerlinTI -- Did you resolve the problem you were having with your PVR 9242 or did you end up having to get another one?

Costa - Did the "check switch" test. Everything showed as being okay. I've tried unplugging it for a bit, but no change. Actually, today it freezes up all the time. Have audio, but picture freezes...
Old 2010-09-20, 07:43 PM   #6
Costa

What are you signal strengths? What are they for Satellite 91's Transponder 1 and 32, Sat 82's Transponder 1 and 16?
Old 2010-09-22, 08:02 PM   #7
jenn
Rookie

Angry 9242 receiver has completely crapped out

...started about a month ago, with wierd things here and there, then graduated to not turning on and having to reset it at least 3 times, (now 10) still no action then suddenly after 5 minutes when you think the receiver is off, it comes on.... the other day, a message: your harddrive has been contaminated, it reloads but that's about it, last night, your receiver has overheated.... many calls to bell technical, finally had enough and asked to be transferred to the LOYALTY dept, who agreed after my saying I wasn't going to buy another receiver repeatedly and that I am fed up, and that they needed to GIVE me one, my old one is barely 2 years old... they agreed to send me a refurbished receiver for free....I am so fed up with BELL....
Old 2010-09-23, 09:32 PM   #8
pcp166
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
What are you signal strengths? What are they for Satellite 91's Transponder 1 and 32, Sat 82's Transponder 1 and 16?
Had good signal strength when it was working... A bell technician came over. At that point, the receiver wouldn't even boot up. Hard disk was "toast". Wanting to stick with the 9242, we ordered a refurbished one.
Old 2010-09-23, 09:34 PM   #9
pcp166
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn View Post
...started about a month ago, with wierd things here and there, then graduated to not turning on and having to reset it at least 3 times, (now 10) still no action then suddenly after 5 minutes when you think the receiver is off, it comes on.... the other day, a message: your harddrive has been contaminated, it reloads but that's about it, last night, your receiver has overheated.... many calls to bell technical, finally had enough and asked to be transferred to the LOYALTY dept, who agreed after my saying I wasn't going to buy another receiver repeatedly and that I am fed up, and that they needed to GIVE me one, my old one is barely 2 years old... they agreed to send me a refurbished receiver for free....I am so fed up with BELL....
I guess my husband didn't complain enough because we had to pay $149 + shipping for a refurbished 9242!!