Viera Cast capabilites (Canadian Models) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2010-01-04, 12:25 PM   #1
teloviso

Default Viera Cast capabilites (Canadian Models)

Can Canadian Panasonic Plasma TVs w/ Viera Cast stream video from a DLNA server?

I don't see any mention of this feature in the manual, and I don't see it on the TV itself either but Web searches seem to indicate that it is possible. Is this feature included on Canadian sets?

I'd like to stream video from my iMac on which I've installed PS3 Media Server.
I have a Panasonic TC-P58V10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-01-04, 06:48 PM   #2
sofaspud

I have the same television. DLNA appears to be available on Euro models, but not on USAian and Canadian models.
Old 2010-01-05, 10:56 AM   #3
teloviso

It looks like this is the case. All the people talking about getting this feature working seem to be in the UK.

I didn't have high expectations of this feature but it would have been nice to be able to play video from the computer without setting up a HTPC next to the TV.
Old 2010-01-06, 09:09 AM   #4
teloviso

And this makes it official...

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised that our Viera TVs sold in North America are not DLNA-certified so we are sorry we could not be of assistance in this regard.

Sincerely,

Viera Concierge Support Team

Panasonic Canada Inc.
Old 2010-03-01, 07:22 PM   #5
carlost2

Default Viera Cast update

Got prompted today to update Viera Cast on my V10

They added a couple more items

- Bild TV (German news site), Twitter (coming soon), Fox Sports (coming soon), Pandora (not available in this country ) and they added room for more
Old 2010-03-02, 03:32 PM   #6
Crash7

Carlost2, thanks for the info. I updated my V10 this morning. Nice to see more features coming, looking forward to Fox Sports.

I sure wish Amazon on Demand was available in Canada, maybe someday.
Old 2011-01-19, 12:07 AM   #7
hlyons
Rookie

Default Disappointed with Viera Cast, but loving the TV and BluRay player

I just bought a CAST equipped TV and Blu Ray player. I had the wireless adapter on order, but by the time it came in I discovered that Netflix wasn't going to be available in Canada any time soon and that the available content was really very limited. However, my laptop, which is on my wireless network, has an HDMI output, so I just plugged it into one of the outlets and I can display everything I get on my computer on the TV, so I cancelled the order for the adapter, as in exchange for the minimal effort of carrying my laptop downstairs and hooking up a cable I had access to the whole internet. They're great TVs and BluRay players, even if CAST is a bit limited in Canada -- but as this site seems to be monitored by folks from Panasonic -- I'd buy the dongle if you ever add a streaming movie site!
Old 2011-01-19, 04:48 PM   #8
Danster

I asked about the Canadian NETFLIX but it wasn't good news. They did however forward my email to the powers that be. Or so they said.....
Old 2011-01-22, 04:51 PM   #9
Foxenhimr

I'm totally new to the whole "web-cast" thing - so is my understanding correct that Panasonic "decides" what services we can access ( through firmware upgrades I guess ) and that we cannot add services ourselves ( like Netflix ) through this interface ?
Old 2011-01-22, 05:34 PM   #10
hugh
Member #1

foxenhimr, you are correct. The modules are programmed by Panasonic
Old 2011-01-22, 11:35 PM   #11
Foxenhimr

so how would one "add" something like Netflix ?
Old 2011-01-23, 05:47 PM   #12
Danster

By making your own firmware, which is illegal and brick your TV or DVD.
Basically, we have to wait until they decide to add it, if they add it.
Old 2011-02-22, 12:24 AM   #13
dmondou
Rookie

Don't hold your breath! Panasonic made a lot of promises that we are all waiting for. I own a Panasonic TV with Viera Cast since 2009 and still wait for content that meet any audience expectation! Out of the 8 services provided (Pandora is not available), 2 are german. Netflix is available outside of Canada. Latest information I got from Panasonic pointed that the third party responsible for the app development was not working in any further development. And I doubt that Panasonic Canadian direction is working to improve the service offer! or even look to have existing app made available in Canada. Great product but poor customer support!
Old 2011-06-07, 05:24 PM   #14
flavoie

I asked Panasonic about the DT30 TVs and Netflix
==
Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised our 2011 televisions that support Easy IPTV or Viera Connect in Canada will not be compatible with Netflix as Netflix Canada has chosen a software protocol in Canada which isn't supported by our Viera TV product line up. One can get Netflix through our 2011 Panasonic Blu-ray Players connected to a Viera TV through HDMI.
==
Old 2011-06-07, 05:27 PM   #15
Danster

Does anyone here have the skype enabled on their tv? I can't seem to find anyone with it.