Rogers timeshifting: which CBC feeds and is hockey blocked? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2004

Old 2004-03-15, 09:54 AM   #1
ralph_sinclair

Default Rogers timeshifting: which CBC feeds and is hockey blocked?

Title says it all. I'd like to know which regions the CBC timeshifting feeds come from, and if they show the hockey games. With 5 or 6 Canadian teams in the first round this year, I don't want to miss anything. I know when I watched Bell ExpressVu in fall of 2002 they never blacked out any hockey on CBC. Does Rogers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-03-15, 10:51 AM   #2
maverick

It has nothing to do with Rogers wanting to black games out but the contracts that the networks have with the NHL and any team in question.

CBC does have cross country regional rights so you should not see any blackouts from CBC. The only channel blackouts will apply on will be Sportsnet as the network only has regional rights to certain games.

from NHL.com:
"In Canada, the NHL televises games nationally on CBC and TSN in the English language. Games on CBC or TSN are exclusive. In addition, CBC is the only English-language telecaster that may show NHL games in Canada on Saturdays.

In the French language, Canadians can watch games nationally on RDS and SRC. Most of these telecasts will involve the Montreal Canadiens."

oh yeah and the timeshifting for CBC comes fom Vancouver (Station call sign CBUT).

hope this helps.
Old 2004-03-15, 11:08 AM   #3
ralph_sinclair

Default rogers timeshifting source

Thanks Maverick, your explanation of CBCs NHL broadcast rights was exactly what how I thought it worked.

As for timeshifting, do you mean to say that Rogers timeshifting only has two CBC feeds - Vancouver and Toronto? That wouldn't be much help come playoff time.

I know Bell had those cities along with Manitoba and Halifax.
Old 2004-03-15, 11:22 AM   #4
maverick

Default Re: rogers timeshifting source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_sinclair
As for timeshifting, do you mean to say that Rogers timeshifting only has two CBC feeds - Vancouver and Toronto? That wouldn't be much help come playoff time.

yeap, not much choice for CBC, I'm guessing that expressVu has more to make up for the lack of regional programing as its nation wide although it would be nice for more with Rogers as well. who knows, time will tell.
Old 2004-03-15, 12:08 PM   #5
itcamrch

CBC Maritimes is also offered.
Old 2004-03-15, 12:25 PM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

When discussing live events, remember that timeshifting is immaterial, as the live event will either be shown "live" on the particular channels, or it will not be shown. :-? Yes, some channels may be showing different live events.
Old 2004-03-15, 12:53 PM   #7
darrylr
Veteran

Another option is the Sports Pak. I pay $22.50 per month and get pretty much every single NHL game (including all the playoffs) between the regular networks and the NHL Center Ice channels. I also get all the NFL games and 3/4 of the MLB baseball games. You only have to sign up for a minimum of 4 months now.

-Darryl
Old 2004-03-15, 04:56 PM   #8
Wayne
Veteran

Default Re: rogers timeshifting source

Quote:
Thanks Maverick, your explanation of CBCs NHL broadcast rights was exactly what how I thought it worked.

With Rogers in Toronto I get 4 CBC english Channels - Toronto, Peterborough, Vancouver and St. Johns (Newfoundland).

That meant that last year during the playoffs you could, at times, get more than one game on CBC, particularly if Vancouver and Toronto were playing at the same time.

But I believe that the Toronto, Peterborough and St. John's channels typically followed the same games - i.e. Leafs games get first priority.

Would it be possible for the CBC to use these channels as it saw fit - i.e. to broadcast 4 different hockey games on these channels? There is a possibility that the CBC could be showing 4 games involving Canadian teams on one night (certainly there will be 3) as 5 Canadian teams will make the playoffs this year. (This may not occur if Canadian teams play each other.)

Why couldn't the CBC (or Rogers) override the Leafs game on the Rogers timeshifting feed for Channel 220 (CBC-St. John's) with an Ottawa or Montreal game?
Old 2004-03-15, 06:05 PM   #9
ralph_sinclair

Wayne that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks.

I would think that Peterborough would show the Ottawa games?

An Alberta feed would really help out. In my experience living in the Maritimes they often show Montreal and Ottawa over Toronto. Not sure if Vancouver would see Alberta teams or Leafs for their "early game" (Say edm or cgy was playing in Dallas or Detroit, that is Eastern or Central time).

I may be getting off-forum topic here but I wonder if the CBC OTA HD broadcasts in Montreal and Toronto could carry other games (up to four simultaneous SD broadcasts per channel). That way CBC could look after us themselves.
Old 2004-03-15, 11:35 PM   #10
itcamrch

Quote:

I would think that Peterborough would show the Ottawa games?
Nah, they stick with Torotnto.

In Ottawa with Rogers, we get Ottawa, Montreal, St. John's, and Vancouver.
Old 2004-03-16, 01:26 PM   #11
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
I may be getting off-forum topic here but I wonder if the CBC OTA HD broadcasts in Montreal and Toronto could carry other games (up to four simultaneous SD broadcasts per channel). That way CBC could look after us themselves.
If they actually are producing HD broadcasts then it is hard to envision CBC not showing the Leafs in HD on the OTA-HD channel. They would also have to show the Leafs on the OTA-SD channel so I don't think that would help.

If they have the OTA-HD channels active and don't have HD broadcast then they could do as you suggest - say showing the Ottawa game on the OTA-HD channel.

However I would prefer to see the Leafs game on the OTA-HD channel as the picture quality of SD programs carried on HD channels is typically much, much better than the picture quality of SD programs carried on either analog or digital SD channels.

The Australian Grand Prix looked awesome on TSN-HD even though it was an SD broadcast - it lookes miles better on TSN-HD than on TSN.

Why doesn't the CBC use another channel - don't they own a piece of the Country Canada digital station. Show out of region games on this channel, or Rogers could use other channels - Parliamentary Channel, Ontario Legislature, Stock quotes, etc. to show other games, couldn't they?

I know they did this in the past at times when there were elections and the election coverage was shown on CBC they used some other channel. I think this happened in 1985 or so when the Nordiques and Canadiens had a game 7 that was pre-empted by an Ontario election on CBC in Ontario.