OTA Station Status: Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham WA - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-03-11, 02:32 AM   #181
Jeffnoone

Solarwind
If you are getting the same signal I am, you wont have to wait for a "good night"

Example, tonite, KOMO and KING are zero on FusionHDTV card (fluctuated 55-75 last night)
KCPQ is about 18% at that spot, drops as you go West initially

The Sweet spot of me is a whopping 55degrees (approx) from the Seatac postion - tonite with rain its 75-82% and watchable

So dont be timid in moving the aerial, turn it 90 degrees west from Seatac and work your way back

At least for me, the rotor has paid off as CTV and CBC are NE of me, Seatac approx SE to SSE, and KCPQ actually SSW or SW of me

I'm convinced the signal is not coming straight from Seattle (too strong, too reliable - only occas can I not get)

So I suspect someone is bouncing it on or retransmitting - if you are in South Surrey, you way well have to aim very West to point to where I'm pointing
I wonder about Mt Constitution on the San Juans which has a broadcast tower, there is also a First Nations band on US soil opposite Victoria, which have some local rebroadcast rights

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffnoone; 2008-03-11 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-03-11, 01:39 PM   #182
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default KCPQ's location

Nope, is not a rebroadcast, its KCPQ's location - check out the Google Earth mashup I did for stations in our area (not the jpg picture, which is too small):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...25&postcount=3
Old 2008-03-11, 01:48 PM   #183
Jeffnoone

Stampeder
I had a look at that Seatac jpg in the link, and I dont think KCPQ is far enough West (on the map basis) to explain what I find and the consistency of the strength

Have you recently tried an actual sweep for KCPQ West and well West of your usual Seatac viewing aerial orientation?

If so, how far west of your main Seatac position is the optimal KCPQ position for you?

If you dont find anything, fine - but the map doesnt explain the strong and consistent signal I get (unless it is bouncing off soemthing close to my house, and coming in from a different direction)

Jeff
Old 2008-03-11, 04:34 PM   #184
danbcman

Default KCPQ direction

Well for me I did have that very steady and pure signal during the last skip a couple of nights ago and from that I aimed my antenna very precisely however one has to realize there is a factor for aiming we can easily over look the ability for it to get the signal from the side and even for some from the back and then take into account a skip can really be from a unknown unrelated direction in relation to the actual scource then take into account multiple reflections and bounces and it is simple to equake the answer for each location and direction....turn aim antenna ....tune receiver...then pray....
repeat until reception comes in or until bored or until to pee'd to care then at each of those steps it is done. Seriously it is so variant that each person must find there very unique tuning aiming standards. For me it is a job to be spread out over a very long and methodical time.

Last edited by danbcman; 2008-03-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 2008-03-11, 05:35 PM   #185
Jeffnoone

danbcman/stampeder
Thanks for comments - I appreciate the comments re the individual variability of signal here

I am still puzzled by the observations I have made over over the Winter

1.KCPQ is nearly always available to me, usual around 90% on the FusionHDTV card. So for me at least, it does not seem to depend on "skip"

2. THe other channels from approx the same distance are rarely even detectable, except under "skip"

This made me think that some other "miracle" explanation (like formal retransmission) may be occurring, or a very fortunate but reliable "bounce" from something
Now I may be just lucky where I am geographically- I get KCPQ reliably, and nothing else from Seatac area reliably. If I am the only one with these two signals (KOMO/King and KCPQ) so widely spread and yet KCPQ reliable, great for me, but had wanted to ensure that others were not missing KCPQ by aiming at the rest of the Seatac stations

The other factor here that makes for the reliability of KCPQ as being remarkable is that I am not in an ideal Lower Mainland location for Seattle signals (further north, on North Shore but height only 300ft, where Vancouver/Bby crest probably blocks me) - so I am pleasantly surprised by the KCPQ observations here
Old 2008-03-11, 05:47 PM   #186
danbcman

Default location and KCPQ

I get KCPQ signal all the time for me it is just not quite locking just a hair below doing that. Those that just get it realibly it is a good thing. But the oddity of locations and and reception strengths are a real teasing issue I have not found any pattern to say works and then refine that how ever after much reading I have even learned that there is a formula to use for placing an antenna from one spot to the next and that should give in theory the next location where the next greater number station should come in as you can see it is way above my understanding of it as it is hard to even explain it in simple terms.

Last edited by danbcman; 2008-03-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2008-03-12, 03:45 PM   #187
solarwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffnoone View Post
dont be timid in moving the aerial, turn it 90 degrees west from Seatac and work your way back
Jeff, I sure have tried rotating the antenna, basically a 180 sweep from E-W. The usual routine.. nudge the rotor a degree or two, then scan, repeat. The tv does pause on 18 when doing a scan, so there is *something* there.

I also have a Motorola DSR550 (VOOM) STB that I use sometimes for experimentation and to compare with the tv. Actually the stb will often pick up 20-1 through 20-5 (RF 14) where the tv will not. But what's handy is the stb has a signal strength meter so I can plug in the RF channel and rotate the antenna for max signal (TV's tuner can't display strength until it locks.) Can't remember exactly what strength KCPQ was last time I hooked it up, but IIRC it was around 40 on the stb's meter where it needs a min. of 80 to lock. I'll connect it the stb again and check it out.
Old 2008-03-13, 02:23 PM   #188
Whidbey

probably the main reason that you guys can get KCPQ and not the rest of the SeaTac stations is geography. KCPQ transmitter is near Bremerton and at about 2000 feet elevation. KONG, KOMO and KIRO are on Queen Anne hill in Seattle, transmitters between 500 and 1000 feet.
I haven't checked, but I would be willing to bet you have a less obstructed line of sight to Bremerton than Seattle, even when you don't consider the elevation difference.
Old 2008-03-13, 02:26 PM   #189
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

That's exactly it, Whidbey!

With Google Earth I hover over the Vancouver area then I move so that I'm above Mt.Seymour and then I drop in altitude and rotate to look towards SeaTac from Mt. Seymour. Then I zoom in to see KCPQ and the Queen Anne Hill stations from that perspective.

I've found that from almost anywhere in the Lower Mainland the bearing to KCPQ is almost the same due to the distance. The Lower Mainland geography is the problem with getting the stations on Queen Anne Hill for many folks here. With Google Earth a person can see if major landmarks like hills or mountains are in the way.

If anyone isn't sure what I mean about all that Google Earth talk, you have really got to try it!
Old 2008-03-14, 02:11 PM   #190
Whidbey

Default Google Earth FCC Transmitter Database

Stampeder

I'm sure you probably already know about this, but here's a link pretty cool download for Google Earth that lets you visualize TV transmitters in the US.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...id=16&Itemid=1
Old 2008-03-14, 02:21 PM   #191
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, that's in the OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ

Just a reminder though that the Canadian date is not up to date but I've heard TVFool is working on the problem.
Old 2008-04-04, 12:51 AM   #192
danbcman

Default Kcpq Dtv 18.1

I see KCPQ DTV 18.1 is off line no signal OTA ans no picture sound on Star Choice 291 946pm been that way for me for over an hour. Anybody else see a loss of station?

Star choice on now 1016pm but no signal at all OTA? 1026pm OTA 18.1 signal returns

Last edited by danbcman; 2008-04-04 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add a little now current info
Old 2008-04-11, 03:15 AM   #193
ardsa

Default Bellingham LPTV Info/Update

A new Bellingham LPTV/Translator was approved on March 28th - K60GV. This brings the total of licensed stations to 4.

Here is how it stands as of April 2008:

CH. 38 - DTV. 24 - VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP - Analogue permit expires 2008/11/04

CH. 65 - DTV. 34 - VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP - analogue permit expires 2009/04/10 - Digital directional away from Vancouver

CH. 60 - - VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP - analogue permit expires 2011/03/28

CH. 43 - DTV. 49 - WORD OF GOD - analogue permit expires 2009/01/24, DTV application still pending

There are also two pending analogue applications in the area:
CH. 45 in Bellingham by TRINITY - pending since 2000
CH. 15 in Point Roberts by CONCORDE VENTURES - pending since 2007

Concorde Ventures had an permit expire in 2006 for CH. 54 in Bellingham.

So as of April 2008 we have three commercial stations and one religious station approved. Also one commercial station and one religious station pending.

I must say though that looking back through the list of approved applications in Bellingham and Point Roberts throws a bit of a damper on things. Since the late 80s there have been approximately 16 stations approved between Bellingham and Point Roberts and not one has made it to air.
Old 2008-04-11, 05:54 PM   #194
danbcman

Default mild skip is biulding this afternoon

Not much on the DTV side yet but anologue is going wild
Kong 16 MyQ2 22 mmm...will have see how this goes as the day goes on

Now its 631pm and KCPQ 18.1 is now locking for a few secs then dropping and back again but not dropping to far back just a tad below locking.

Last edited by danbcman; 2008-04-11 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2008-04-12, 01:27 AM   #195
danbcman

Default kcpq DTV 18.1 & 18.2

Will there a skip as I am getting it steady 70-%