digital cablebox can't be rebooted by shaw - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2009-12-12, 07:41 AM   #1
jackandrews
Rookie

Unhappy digital cablebox can't be rebooted by shaw

Hello,

Shaw internet and cable tv went off the air yesterday. When it finally came back up one of our dct digital cable receivers won't work. When you turn it on it just gives a message on all channels that you are not authorize. Shaw tried 4 times to reboot it but it still gives the error message. Is there something I can do to the receiver itself to reboot it. Our only other option is to lose a days pay and wait for a service call. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-12-12, 11:38 AM   #2
Richard Travale

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.

Try the cold reboot...this will revert the terminal to it's original settings and you may lose all info such as favourites lists and stuff saved on the pvr(assuming it's a pvr).

1.Unplug the power cord from the DVR.
2.On the front of the DVR, press & hold the POWER & MENU buttons while plugging the power cord back into the DVR. The display should now read "boot".
3.Release the POWER & MENU buttons.
4.Press the UP or DOWN ARROW buttons on the DVR (not the remote) until you see "n dl" on the display.
5.Press the OK/SELECT on the DVR to begin authorization & downloading of software, STB/DVR firmware from your cable headend. It could take up to 20 minutes to download the firmware, the software could take up to 2 hours depending on what software your cable provider has. You should see "n dl" in the LED display with a line moving in a square.
6.After it completes this download the DVR will then reboot and begin to download the time settings for the clock along with your cable account info and settings. After this is done, it will begin to populate the Guide info. It could take up to 24 hours to fill in all 2 weeks of Guide info. Depending on your location, environmental variables and amount of users with digital cable or cable Internet, the download can take up to twice as long.
7.If the display on your Motorola DVR displays only the number 0 after performing this process, it is in need of a reset by your cable provider. Call them and ask them to reset your box.

hope this helps.
Old 2009-12-13, 06:28 PM   #3
jackandrews
Rookie

Hi Richard,

Thanks you for your help. Unfortuneately the receiver would not even get to the boot screen. For some reason it only had Dec. Then a bunch of dashes and then would shut itself off. Shaw tried to reboot it again today and it was still a no go. I think the receiver might be toast. Just odd that it doesn't work after the cable went down. Thanks again.
Old 2009-12-13, 11:31 PM   #4
s40

One last thing to try is have them re-install your box on the system. My box was dropped from the system for some unknown reason, and it wasn't until one of the tech's suggested re-installing the box that mine worked-it is a slim chance but better than none.
Old 2009-12-13, 11:58 PM   #5
Proud_Infidel
Rookie

As far as I can tell on service calls, they have timed appointments, although they could be backed up and nto be able to fit you in as quickly as an all day appointment. I remember them saying one time they reserve so many for certain time periods (slots) or some such, but they get taken or fill up pretty quick.
I wonder also if you live near one of their offices if you are capable of dropping it by there and have them do it at the front counter. There were people doing just that in Calgary when I bought my Pace a couple of weeks ago.

The message you say you have, I have had before also, and removing it from and adding it back in again solved mine. That was about a year gone by now.
Old 2009-12-14, 03:17 AM   #6
jackandrews
Rookie

Problem solved. They had deleted our cable box as we had changed our phone number when we got the shaw digital phone. We got a call last night from Shaw asking us to check the serial number on the back and they reinstalled it. Now the remote will turn on the tv and digital box but have to enter 0 before all the numbers before you can change the channel. Guess will have to call and ask for the code for the digital box so it goes back to normal. Still don't understand why they left the other two boxes working as they were installed under the Teles phone number too. Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 2009-12-14, 03:48 AM   #7
jumpy27
Veteran

Go into the menu and find a setting that deals with "auto tuning" and turn it on. Another solution is to press the number followed by the "OK/Select" button on the remote to change channels.
Old 2009-12-14, 04:00 AM   #8
oilblue
Veteran

Waaay to slow reading the thread and then typing. jump27 beat me by a mile.

Last edited by oilblue; 2009-12-14 at 04:01 AM. Reason: already answered