ICP a Carrier company? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Old 2009-12-07, 12:30 PM   #1
my0gr81

Default ICP a Carrier company?

I have seen referrences made on this forum regarding quality and reliability of ICP furnaces. These are then followed by statements such as to stick to the major companies such as Carrier,etc. Looking throught the ICP site, it seems that they are in fact a Carrier company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ts_Corporation

Is this a case where the cheaper/ more budget conscious product are relegated to a sub brand or is there a bias that anything not branded carrier, lennox etc, has to be bad? Consumer reports of reliability aside (biased and negative feedback derived instead of feedback per unit sold). I can understand that most installers will have experience with those units, is that experience based on volume?

I ask, because I found out that my builder has used an ICP furnace, and wondering if I should spring for the maintenance plan or just chance it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-12-07, 04:16 PM   #2
txv
Veteran

ICP is owned by united technologies, which also owns carrier.

ICP has had heat exchanger problems in the past but the current product line might be okay.

The maintenance plans don't even cover heat exchanger replacement; change the filter as required and get the unit checked every few years. (annual maintenance is not warranted a new unit)

I wouldn't worry about brand name, provided that the equipment was sized/installed correctly.
Old 2009-12-07, 07:36 PM   #3
TKG26
Veteran

its important to understand that just because carrier owns icp it does not make icp furnaces equal to carrier. They are not carrier furnaces with icp branding....

ICP is the dodge neon(or cavalier) of heating. Everyone has one, but they also know they are a POS!
Old 2009-12-07, 10:16 PM   #4
my0gr81

two different point of views, got to love how the internet brings these opinions together. To continue the Dodge Neon metaphor, that car had a high number of problems, but all in all, when taken in context with total percentage of vehicle sold, it was pretty much equal to most cars in its size. If a builder builds a whole subdivision and installs hundreds of those units, all the failures the techs will see will be related to those furnaces, hence, associating that brand with those problems. Is this a reasonable assumptions?

Regardless, nothing I can do now, but what TXV recommended, hope for the best and plan for a heat exchanger replacement in a few years. basically, what I would have probably put towards an upgraded furnace without a guarantee that the higher cost furnace wouldn't have had its heat exchanger fail as well.
Old 2009-12-07, 10:54 PM   #5
txv
Veteran

Quote:
its important to understand that just because carrier owns icp it does not make icp furnaces equal to carrier. They are not carrier furnaces with icp branding....

ICP is the dodge neon(or cavalier) of heating. Everyone has one, but they also know they are a POS!
Carrier doesn't own ICP, the parent company of carrier does.

ICP may have solved their heat exchanger problems - the industry will find out in 5-10 years if they don't start droppling like flies.

I'm pretty sure that carrier (secondary heat exchanger lawsuit)/lennox /york/trane have all manufactured their share of junk.
Old 2009-12-08, 12:38 AM   #6
HDTV101
Veteran

I installed a Keepright ICP furnace myself, model N9MP2, did most all of the work except the gas hook-up. I bought the furnace for $1100 and paid another $500 for the gas and venting hook-ups. The furnace comes with a 20 year warranty on the heat exchanger.

http://www.weinstall.ca/keeprite%20f...comparison.pdf

So far it's been working very well... and I'm happy I didn't pay some dealer $5000.00. It may not have all the bells & whistles, like a 2 stage, but it's still gets the job done for the price I paid. It may be a Dodge Neon of furnaces... but there must be tons of them out there working just fine.

This model is very popular with builders... and it replaced my 20 year old furnace that came with the house that was also a builder installed furnace.

http://icpindexing.mqgroup.com/docum...4001102002.pdf
Old 2009-12-08, 12:55 AM   #7
99semaj
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txv View Post
Carrier doesn't own ICP, the parent company of carrier does.
Semantics. ICP falls under Carrier management. None of our business units stand alone, and all HVAC is Carrier.