Can I buy HD PVR for regular (non-HDTV) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-12-05, 04:57 PM   #1
dmccorm140

Default Can I buy HD PVR for regular (non-HDTV)

I was thinging of buying a Rogers PVR HD PVR for my parents. They just have regular TV but would like PVR capabilities. As rogers does not have regular PVR's anymore, would the HD PVRR work with regular tvs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-12-05, 05:02 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Sure would. You can connect it via S-video, composite video or RF-coax (best to worst video quality). Analogue audio cables (red/white) are requried for the first two options if they use the TV speakers.

They will even be able to see the HD channels they qualify for, downconverted to 480i for those SD connections and in 16:9 when HD. If they have an AVR, they can also get DD5.1 from the HD channels...
Old 2009-12-05, 06:07 PM   #3
JamesK
Veteran

Yes, you can connect a HD PVR or converter to a SD TV. I have done that, with via S-Video cable and currently I have my VCR connected to the composite output. Both methods work fine. You can even use component cables, if your TV supports that. As mentioned in the note above, you can also watch the HD only channels that way, which you couldn't do with a SD converter.
Old 2009-12-05, 07:41 PM   #4
dmccorm140

Thank you for the information!
Old 2009-12-05, 11:59 PM   #5
windows7

I've owned a Explorer 3250 HD for a year and a half despite owning a SD TV for the added HD channels you get (I put up w/ the "black bars"). While I'd never buy into that over-priced HD PVR (antiquated, but so is every Rogers STB using this lousy UI), it makes sense to "future-proof" one's self.