Winnipeg: WDAZ & WUHF but no KNRR - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2009-11-26, 02:29 AM   #1
cslusarc

Default Winnipeg: WDAZ & WUHF but no KNRR

I don't really understand why the CRTC forces Shaw to give us WDAZ from Devil's Lake-Grand Forks and WUHF from Rochester but not KNRR from Pembina, ND.

Personally I would prefer my US 4+1 from the same DMA. Right now our near feeds are from 3 DMAs (Fargo-Grand Forks, Minneapolis-St Paul, and Rochester)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-26, 10:34 AM   #2
Dr.Dave

It's all about saving local TV, even back in the 90's.

"the availability of this signal to Canadian cable subscribers could increase the potentially damaging effect of this station by providing Canadian advertisers with access to large amounts of commercial airtime at rates substantially lower than those they would be obliged to pay Canadian television licensees in order to reach the same potential audience".

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1994%5CDB94-793.htm
Old 2009-11-26, 11:16 PM   #3
vjose78

Found this on Wiki:

"While KNRR's coverage area includes Winnipeg, it is not carried on Shaw or MTS TV, who opted for Rochester's WUHF instead due to CRTC concerns that Winnipeg advertisers would purchase time from KNRR rather than Winnipeg television stations."

I don't see the big deal, the advertisers, like Kern-Hill Furniture Co-op buy ad time on WDAZ anyway.

EDIT - Just thought I would add that MTS offers FOX Minneapolis instead of Rochester, which is better than nothing I think.
Old 2009-11-27, 04:34 PM   #4
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 10 & VOIP Phone Service.

I thought KNRR was shut down on June 12th then I checked WIKIpedia and saw it came back online in digital in late Oct 2009. Does that mean we can pick it up in Winnipeg?
Old 2009-11-27, 05:40 PM   #5
hockey_puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawguy View Post
I thought KNRR was shut down on June 12th then I checked WIKIpedia and saw it came back online in digital in late Oct 2009. Does that mean we can pick it up in Winnipeg?
KNRR digital on reduced power at the moment.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=33078&page=13
Old 2009-11-27, 08:21 PM   #6
vjose78

From Wiki:

On February 1, 2009, KVRR and KNRR ceased analog transmissions, and broadcast only in digital.
Old 2009-11-27, 10:25 PM   #7
Corndogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
It's all about saving local TV, even back in the 90's.

"the availability of this signal to Canadian cable subscribers could increase the potentially damaging effect of this station by providing Canadian advertisers with access to large amounts of commercial airtime at rates substantially lower than those they would be obliged to pay Canadian television licensees in order to reach the same potential audience".

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1994%5CDB94-793.htm
This is another example of where Canadian broadcasters get special treatment which no other industry would ever receive. Not only do cable/satellite customers get screwed out of watching what they pay for, Canadian businesses are forced to pay more for advertising than they should have to. I wonder what would happen if the cable companies started up the Commercial Channel which would show nothing but commercials for *Canadian* companies or companies that operate in Canada? Companies would be able to air extended commercials and ad rates would be determined by viewership levels. I wonder how hard the broadcasters would fight this? I'd love to see Shaw, etc. do this just to take money away from those greedy bastards that run Global, etc. I'd watch this channel just so that they would lose more money.