External Hard Drive Problems and Discussion - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2010-01-30, 11:33 PM   #76
Daveysew

Funky Town, I heard that your WD drive was a good drive for Bell PVR's, hence my purchase of the 1.5TB version. I wonder if the recent system update has anything to do with our troubles. Hopefully ScaryBob can chime in as I believe he's got the same HD as you. I'm still getting an error message saying I've connect a USB device that is not compatible.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-01-30, 11:39 PM   #77
FunkyTown

I pulled the plug on the 9242 and the WD10EADS today for 7 hours - still the same error stating I need Bell to add the HDD feature. Prior to the V184 upgrade, I had absolutely no problems with this drive. I just realized that I moved a PPV movie over to it too.

I haven't re-formatted it yet. I am hoping by some miracle it works tomorrow.
Old 2010-01-31, 01:34 AM   #78
Interceptor

I'd phone Bell to get the HDD feature added and hopefully it will than recognize your HDD and you won't have to re-format.
Old 2010-01-31, 06:15 AM   #79
FunkyTown

I called Bell and both times they haven't heard of this. They claim that there's nothing on their side enabling them to add.

I wondered if the new firmware makes the drive appear as though it was once connected to a different PVR. In the past it would tell you this. It's possible they've updated their system to allow one PVR to use the EHD from another PVR but only upon authorization. The clerks don't seem to know anything about it. I will call again on Monday because a lot of times the people working on weekends and evenings aren't as knowledgable.

I do find it odd that nobody else on this forum is experiencing the same problem.
Old 2010-01-31, 08:33 AM   #80
gregoliver
Rookie

Is anyone having any luck resolving the EHD issues with the 9242? I have two separate EHDs, one for me (1TB Lacie) and one for the kids (1 TB IOmega).

When the firmware was upgraded to V184, initially neither EHD was working, and message said to call to activate feature. One started working while I was on the phone, and of course the Bell CSR had no idea what the problem is.

After getting off the phone, I realized my Lacie drive worked fine, but when I plugged in the IOmega drive, I received a message that the drive was configured for use with another receiver and that the EHD can only be used with one receiver at a time. Should I consider the recordings on this drive to be lost and allow the receiver to re-format or is there another way to get it working with the receiver again?

I might try and call Bell some weeknight soon, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Greg
Old 2010-01-31, 11:06 AM   #81
FunkyTown

OK so I plugged the Western Digital WD10EADS into my Mac and it recognized it, but it did not recognize the disk format. I bit the bullet and reformatted it using DOS format. It seemed to work and the Mac told me it was a 1 Tb drive. I copied a small file to the disk and it worked. Then I copied a 7 mg file to the disk and it worked. I'm able to access both files. So this proves there is nothing wrong with the hard drive. Something obviously went wrong with the V184 firmware to cause the issues I was having with my drive. It's possible the new firmware will not recognize this drive now. I will plug it back into the 9242 and see what happens.

It sucks that I lost so much stuff though. I've learned a great lesson - whatever I put on the Bell EHD may or may not survive their firmware updates.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:10 AM   #82

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

The purpose of the PVR is to time-shift. Although I can certainly understand why someone would have a large HDD and wish to put lots of stuff on it, it should never be considered secure storage. That can only be accomplished via offloading the recordings to still another device, like a DVD recorder, Hauppauge HD PVR, HTPC, etc.

One should therefore "expect" data loss on the PVR itself and not use it as the primary archive if you wish to archive.

My understanding is that with the BTV units, you can keep programming on both/several drives, but as you see, even that may not be secure since you're dealing with the same device for playback.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:25 AM   #83
FunkyTown

Most of the stuff on my EHD were things I was planning to watch during the spring and summer when shows go off the air. I had 2 recordings that I was saving until I could offload them to something else. Anyway they are ALL gone.

I just finished plugging the drive into the 9242 and it came up stating it needed to be formatted. It took about 5 minutes to reformat the drive and I was happy to at least get the drive back. The 9242 rebooted, but much to my surprise and disappointment, when it came back up, it's the same issue.

"To manage Bell TV recordings on your External Hard Drive this feature must be activated. To activate please call 1-888-SKY-DISH (759-3474)."

Calling them only leads to a waste of an hour. They have no clue about this error or what to do about it. Yet someone at Bell must have coded this error message. Someone must know what would cause this error 787 to appear.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:50 AM   #84
FunkyTown

I called them again because I had a couple of hours to spare. They've got me on hold right now. The lady I'm speaking with now thinks she found a problem with my revision number. She asked me to go to the menu, then 6 for setup, then 1 for installation, then 3 for system info then click Next and Next again. She asked for the Rev number located under DNASP. I show:

240 Rev906

She thinks it should be Rev904. Are you guys still on 904?

My upload of the new firmware happened many days after I started reading about the firmware upgrade.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:58 AM   #85
shelley354
Rookie

No- we actually ended up taking the EHD back to the store and buying one that was 500GB, turns out the 1TB was the problem, so now at least we can download our recordings.

We are still having issues with the receiver flipping out though and the level 2 Bell Techie yesterday had us adjusting backlights etc on the TV, so they are obviously aware of the problem. The level 1 guy did'nt know anything about it and I had to ask him politely to escalate me to a higher level who could tell me the truth!!!
Old 2010-01-31, 12:05 PM   #86
FunkyTown

What revision number is your firmware set to?

I've had a 1 TB drive on mine for months and it was fine. Now they are saying the Bell PVR will take up to 1.5 Tb so this makes no sense. What a pile of confusion.
Old 2010-01-31, 12:16 PM   #87
shelley354
Rookie

The Info on STB says 184- you know the one thats causing the STB to flip out!!!

I am just at a loss quite frankly. I am pleased I have managed to get the recordings off. We got a Lacie box 500GB- so its ok for our needs.

I would just like Bell to admit that they have cocked up on the 184 update cos our TV and box was working fine together before their upgrade!
Old 2010-01-31, 12:41 PM   #88
FunkyTown

If you press the menu button twice you'll get the revision number. Mine is Rev906. The Bell clerk mentioned people should be at Rev904 with the V184 firmware.
Old 2010-01-31, 05:37 PM   #89
dreadden
Rookie

Any luck getting the external HD working yet? I wonder if it only work with a 1.5 TB drive only, has anyone try that???. There are a few people with the same problem asking for activation when the external hard drive is selected. One person mentioned to me that his 9242 is at firmware 184 with rom 240 Rev 904 and still having the same problem. Let me know if you fine a solution because no one seem to know the fix right now.
Old 2010-01-31, 07:16 PM   #90
FunkyTown

I called Bell again. They said they are not getting many calls regarding the error message I'm receiving in regards to my EHD. They will be exchanging my 9242 for another one. I unhooked my 9242 and unpacked my 9241 that was in the closet. The 9241 does work with the EHD just like the 9242 used to. Mind you the 9241 is still on the old firmware V232. It may download the new firmware tonight. It should be interesting to see if the drive still works tomorrow.