External Hard Drive Problems and Discussion - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Page 47 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2012-03-04, 02:31 PM   #691
dirtroad

You can use an EHD with more than receiver of the same model, but it has to be on the same account. Was the receiver they were recorded/transferred from in your name or in the name of someone else?
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-04, 02:40 PM   #692
MaidenCanada
Rookie

It was in my landlords name.

Is there a way I can get him to authorize it or something?
Old 2012-03-04, 02:50 PM   #693
dirtroad

I doubt that can be done, the software recognizes that it it registered to a different account and wants to reformat it, which you have found out. I have not heard of anyway around this. I'm not sure if there is anything Bell can do for you either.
Old 2012-03-04, 03:17 PM   #694
MaidenCanada
Rookie

Thanks for your help.

Would have been nice if they'd tell you that somewhere before I wasted time transferring all my stuff over. Doesn't make sense if it's the same model receiver that it couldn't be done.
Old 2012-03-04, 03:21 PM   #695

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

This is designed to allow you to archive, however, it doesn't allow you to "share" say with friends. It works fine on one account. Just as an FYI, here's the eHDD facts thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=100773
Old 2012-03-05, 01:28 PM   #696
giovanni

Just wanted to ask a few questions regarding connecting an external hard drive to my 9242 receiver...

- does the hard drive need to be a specific format (Fat32 or NTFS)?

- do the movie files on the external hard drive need to be a specific format?

- can I use the secondary TV out for viewing the external hard drive?

I recently got it working properly (kept rebooting) But it has been working fine for a few months now, so I am a bit sceptical to hooking something up to it.
Old 2012-03-05, 01:33 PM   #697

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Your post was moved to this existing thread. There's also a sticky on EHD facts in this forum (link in post above yours)
Old 2012-03-23, 11:06 PM   #698
RetroCanada

Default How do I transfer archived material from one ehd to another?

I've only been able to read that Linux can be used to copy files from one ehd to another being used on the same pvr. I have a rather small 500 Gb hdd that's getting full. I'd like to migrate and backup those archives on a 2Tb ehd. Can someone lead me through the process in some detail?

Thank you.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:57 AM   #699
jdevlin

You could also do it with the PVR.
Restore the program to the PVR.
Install new drive and archive again.
You will only have a copy on the new drive. No actual backups.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:20 PM   #700
hbhectare
Rookie

Angry Hard Drive is not recognized after reconnect to pvr

Hi:

We have two pvr's on the same Belll account, a 9241 which I have an EHD connected to and a 9242. I had read that I could transfer the EHD between pvr's if they were on the same account so I tried that today to archive some recordings on the other pvr.

When I attached it to the 9242 under menu/multimedia/#3 it stated "No device detected." So I reattached to our 9241 pvr and unfortunately I received the same message "No device detected." This EHD has worked perfectly for several months. I tried the reconnecting a few times and even rebooted the pvr as well as disconnected the power and reconnected to no avail.

Does anyone have advice about how to get the pvr to rededect my external hard drive? I have over 30 hours archived on it. I have turned the power off of the EHD several times but this was the first time that I actually disconnected the USB cable. Just as a test I plugged the EDH into my laptop and an error came up about the USB unable to attach (because is not formatted for Windows) but at least that proves that the cable is still OK.

Cheers
Old 2012-04-03, 11:47 PM   #701
paulohotline

Hello, is it possible to unplug an EHD from the 6131 receiver and reconnect without having issues? I thought you could but am having 2nd thoughts now, read below...

I accidentally unplugged my 2TB EHD hitachi with over 160 hours of Jets hockeys games (all the games so far this season) this afternoon. When plugging it back the receiver asked to reboot. After the boot-up, it would ask to format the drive. No amount of rebooting will fix this problem, it will not recognize the drive and keeps asking to format.

Is my recorded content pooched here? Bell tech support is of no use, they want me to reformat the drive to connect it, I don't want to lose my recordings.

Any suggestions?

TIA Paulo
Old 2012-04-04, 01:05 PM   #702
dirtroad

Normally you can plug in and unplug an EHD from a 6131. It has to reboot as the EPG (electronic program guide) is stored on the 6131 when no drive is connected, and on the EHD when it is.

I don't know how you may get your Jets games back, but if I may suggest, try another EHD first to see if it is the 6131 that is the issue rather than the EHD. Maybe, put your 2TB away for awhile, someone may come up with a fix.

Do you own any other 6131's?
Old 2012-04-04, 05:46 PM   #703
paulohotline

Hey Dirt, I do have another 6131, but it has its own EHD that my wife uses for her shows. (god forbid I unplug that unit and it won't work!!!)

I think the 2TB is faulty, its making clicking sounds when I put my ear near it. So I may have to bite the built and lose my 1st Jets season to bad hardware and RMA it! NOOOOO.

So in summary you can:

1) turn off and remove an EHD from the 6131 and plug it back in at a later time and it should detect no problem with your content after a reboot by the 6131.

2) You can unplug an EHD into a 2nd 6131 on your account and it will reboot and your content will be visible and accessible?

This really sucks! TIA for your response.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:44 AM   #704
dirtroad

paulohotline, the EHD's from same model and from the same account "should be interchangeable" , and your wife "should be understanding" if you lose all her recordings on her EHD. "Should" it fail maybe you can blame it on the solar flares recently!
Old 2012-04-06, 11:00 AM   #705
poorcomputerboy

Default 9242 crashing once accessing external hard drive

I was wondering if I could get some advise. I have a 9242 and all is working well and I have a external hard drive attached. I went away on holidays and returned and when to access the external drive and everytime I do it crashes my whole 9242 and re-boots the box. Without accessing that external drive all is fine. Once I go to access the external I can hear the drive working and all sounds fine as if the disk is being read it then just gets to a part and stops and about 15 to 20 seconds later the whole system reboots. I know BEV uses there only file system is there a program I can download or something to recognize the disk to do a "checkdisk" or something to see if there is a problem with maybe the file systems or anything. If not my next question as its 2tb hard drive how can I copy the content over to another drive that I can plug in to my BEV box for it to recognize the new drive with all the shows I have on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.