External Hard Drive Problems and Discussion - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2011-02-07, 09:46 PM   #436
Preston_on
Rookie

Default Need help in transfer of PVR recordings to a new harddrive

I just upgraded to a 1T drive from my current 250G. What I want to do is transfer my recordings from the 250G to the 1T. Can I put both drives on my computer and clone one to the other with Acronis? My reciever is a 6131.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-07, 10:01 PM   #437
Pinza
Veteran

Not sure about Acronis, never used it.

I do know that people have used a live Linux CD Distro to move files around.
Old 2011-02-08, 06:17 AM   #438
wrhfinancial
Rookie

I was not able to re format the EHD I had with my 6131 so I bought a new EHD
The receiver recognized the EHD but it keeps trying to reformat the drive and
Won't work
Any suggestions
What am I doing wrong?

Wayne
Old 2011-02-09, 02:19 AM   #439
Flexin
Rookie

I looked through part of this thread but didn't see my issue(its a big thread). I have a 6131 and a Lacie 1TB drive. It has worked great. I had about 800 hours of sd recorded before having an issue. My issue is during recording it will go blank for a couple of seconds. It drives me nuts.

Another issue is that I can't stop a show from recording. Normally I have no problem with changing a channel and telling it to stop recording the other show. Now it will switch over but go back to the old channel about 30 seconds later. And still show it as recording. Its also not showing the show that recorded in the list. If I hit the PVR button twice it will show it in the list of shows to record.

Any ideas?

Thanks
James
Old 2011-02-15, 10:27 PM   #440
haywood
Rookie

sorry for the delay, I'm not a regular here but thought I would post in case others have issues with the WD

The format was very quick (minutes) when it finally worked.
Old 2011-02-17, 12:16 PM   #441
saskman

I have a Seagate external drive which I have confirmed is going to sleep by reading the associated documents on the Seagate site.

My question is that given that the drive has existing recordings on the drive, would using the Seagate Manager on a windows PC to change the sleep setting to 'no' erase all of my recordings? I know some folks have used the Manager successfully but it didn't seem clear whether they formatted the drive in windows first to use the utility.

Thanks.
Old 2011-02-25, 04:22 PM   #442
Huggy Bear
Rookie

Well, I'm switching to Shaw - $30 cheaper!
I have a 9242 w/ WD 1TB EHD.

I've looked and looked and can find no straight forward answer as to how I can get my data off of my EHD.

Any 'easy ' suggestions?

Would be very appreciated!

Huggy
Old 2011-02-25, 05:15 PM   #443
Pinza
Veteran

To get the data off, you just format the drive.

If you was hoping to watch any of the recordings on a PC, you are out of luck, they are all encrypted.

If you want to save them, you can play them back using the 9242 and then record them onto a DVD etc.
Old 2011-02-27, 05:03 PM   #444
homeslice20
Rookie

Default bell 6131 receiver and external hard drive

Hey guys/gals,

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I bought an external hard drive for my 6131 receiver to make it a pvr. Everything works good except for the fact that while I record a program I cannot switch the channel and watch something else at the same time. If I try to change the channel it says your request will stop the tv recording and switch to live tv mode. Is there anyway around this?

Mike.
Old 2011-02-27, 05:07 PM   #445
ARDUN

It's a single-tuner receiver. You can only watch or record one live program at a time. You can watch a pre-recorded show while you are recording something else.
Old 2011-02-27, 05:07 PM   #446
Pinza
Veteran

No, the 6131 is a Single Tuner Receiver so it can only handle 1 live stream at a time.

To achieve what you want, you would need a 9241.
Old 2011-03-18, 11:35 AM   #447
bellfrustration
Rookie

Default Reformatting / Reconnecting EHD to 9241

Does anyone know how to reformat EHD's on the PVR ? I have spent dozens of hours, hundreds of dollars on EHD's, many hours with many bell tech support and none of them can solve my problem. I was initially running (3) Lacie 750 GB EHD's through my 1st Expressvu 9241. The EHD's worked great for a while, until the PVR went faulty and had to be replaced. So much for "record forever". I setup my replacement 9241. When I connected up the EHD, bell assured me that it would prompt to reformat the EHD and that I would lose all the hundreds of dollars worth of data on the EHD. When connected, it does not prompt to reformat. It allows me to see the content on the EHD, and when I play it back, it plays for about 3 minutes, then the EHD disconnects. Bell tech claims this "disconnect" process is because the recorded content is encrypted to the serial # of my 1st 9241. Bell have since replaced my 2nd 9241 with a 3rd 9241, with all the same non results. Bell tech tell me that the the reformatting is a glitch and they don't know if anyone is working on it, do not have a target date for a potential fix and do and not know how they will identify to the users when a fix is in place. So, I'm sitting here with 300 hrs of HD content that I cannot access, and I cannot write any new content to these EHD's. I am running Firmware ver 187. I have also considered that the (3) 750 GB EHD may be the problem so I went out and got a brand new Lacie 2TB EHD (bell tech approved that firmware ver 187 supports this) and connected it up. It did prompt to format, which it appeared to do successfully. I archived a program to this ehd and tried to play it back. Same result as my other (3) ehd's. It plays back for about 3 minutes, then disconnects the EHD. All of the ehd will reconnect to the PVR when I shut them down and restart them, but playback always results in a disconnect and the cycle continues. I have tried (4) different USB cable sets so I don't believe that is the issue. Is anybody out there experiencing this same issue and does anyone know of a potential solution because clearly bell tech support don't ? Help !
Old 2011-03-18, 11:37 AM   #448
ScaryBob
Veteran

Connect it to a PC. Delete all the partitions with Disk Manager. The PVR will reformat it when connected again.
Old 2011-03-19, 02:05 PM   #449
dirtroad

Default Try restoring.

bellfrustration, You don't want to delete your partitions or reformat. The fact that you had the same problem with your new 2 TB I suspect it might be your new PVR (probably refurbished). Have you tried restoring a program from the 750GB Lacies to the PVR itself (move the program from the EHD to the internal HD of the PVR). Then try playing it on the PVR, maybe even disconnect the EHD. If it works then I would suspect some problem with your new PVR communicating with the EHDs.

I have had no problems with my 1 TB or 2 TB Lacie drives and my 9242's watching archived programs without restoring them, which makes me also believe the issue is with your new PVR.
Old 2011-03-27, 03:25 PM   #450
amiga1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I looked through part of this thread but didn't see my issue(its a big thread). I have a 6131 and a Lacie 1TB drive. It has worked great. I had about 800 hours of sd recorded before having an issue. My issue is during recording it will go blank for a couple of seconds. It drives me nuts.

Another issue is that I can't stop a show from recording. Normally I have no problem with changing a channel and telling it to stop recording the other show. Now it will switch over but go back to the old channel about 30 seconds later. And still show it as recording. Its also not showing the show that recorded in the list. If I hit the PVR button twice it will show it in the list of shows to record.

Any ideas?

Thanks
James
I have the same problem I think,I have a WD 1 tb EHD on a 6131 and it has stopped recording a program it has 625 hr left in sd on pvr screen,when it is scheduled to record a program , it doesn't but say it recording in the daily schedule.... the video flashes And audio cut out.
Also if it is schedule recoding and you try is switch channels you get screen to switch channels as usual but does not stop recording and it goes back to the schedule channel only way to stop it thinking it is recording is to delete timer ....weird
Any ideas???? Thanks in advance
Update....... I (cleaned up)deleted some stuff about 4 hours and it is working now......strange

Last edited by amiga1; 2011-03-27 at 03:43 PM.