External Hard Drive Problems and Discussion - See Facts Link in Post 1. - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2010-02-25, 05:15 PM   #166
FunkyTown

It's strange because last night I transferred 3 hours of HD content to the EHD. It transferred flawlessly. Then I watched a full episode of a 1 hour show.

Since I removed the 2 SD shows, I've had no more trouble. It may not have been due to those shows being SD. Perhaps the recording was corrupted and it corrupted my EHD. I don't know what the answer is. If you've formatted and only archived one HD show, then it makes even less sense.

The only thing I am sure of is the v184/185 update seems to have caused this, and it seems random. Only certain people are affected by it. The other bizarre thing is that you can plug the EHD into the 9241 even though the drive was formatted by a 9242 and the recordings are from a 9242. The 9241 will read and even restore them. The 9241 even restored the SD shows that I had, even though the 9242 turned the EHD off after only a couple of minutes into the restore or viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-25, 10:39 PM   #167
yebogogo64
Rookie

Default 6131 and ehd

Maxtor 640 ehd is not compatible.
WD 1 terrabyte 5400 rpm works like a charm - about 130 HD hours and 1000 SD hours
Bell and The Source play ignorant when you ask them about the brand name EHD they use, but it looks like a WD.
I'm told the rpm speed is not the issue here as the USB only transfers 480mbs and a faster spin rate makes no difference.
I believe the La Cie drives are compatible
Old 2010-02-25, 10:50 PM   #168
FunkyTown

Both drives that I tried were WD. The 1 Tb drive worked great until v184. I replaced it with a WD 250 gb drive and it made no difference. The EHD continued to shutdown on me. I thought maybe it was the EHD enclosure I was using. Someone else has the same enclosure and they're having zero problems. I don't really trust it because I know something is wrong. At least I can restore the recordings with my 9241. Hopefully Bell will fix this issue with the 9242 EHD's.
Old 2010-02-26, 12:38 PM   #169
Daveysew

Default WD WD10EARS / WD15EARS Spec Changes

When I bought my WD15EARS (caviar green 1.5TB) hard drive it was listed as a 7200 rpm drive both on tigerdirect.ca and on Western Digital's website, it's now listed as Intellipower and may or may not with with Bell TV. I was recommended to go with a Caviar Black drive to guarantee compatibility with Bell TV. That being said tigerdirect.ca offered to RMA the WD15EARS and pay for the return shipping and no charge ship me a Caviar Black drive. Pretty good in my opinion when they really didn't do anything wrong in the first place.

dave
Old 2010-02-26, 01:17 PM   #170
jeff_8180
Rookie

Default 9242 Internal HardDrive fail

My 9242 went into a continious rebooting phase a couple of days ago so I thought the HD-PVR was dead. I decided to unplug the internal Harddrive and then it worked fine. Problem 1 fixed.

Problem 2 starts. I bought an external HD yesterday (Lacie 1TB) and plugged it in, it asked to be formatted to which I said yes, it formatted and rebooted then asked to be formatted again, I did this about 4 times and still wouldn't recongnize that it was formatted.
I plugged the EHD into my laptop and formatted it with windows and it works fine, so the EHD seem to be fine

Is 1TB too large for the 9242 or could it be the brand?
Old 2010-02-26, 04:19 PM   #171
jeff_8180
Rookie

I just put in a 320gb iPro and same thing.
Just keeps asking to format, then restarts, format, restart, etc...

I had an EHD hooked up to this unit about a year ago and it worked fine.

Any suggestions what could be wrong?
Old 2010-02-26, 05:16 PM   #172
FunkyTown

There seems to be various bugs surfacing with the EHDs and the 9242. People are reporting their EHDs shutting down constantly, others are having issues with an error stating, "You must get Bell to activate your hard drive" and Bell doesn't seem to know what this is. Some are unable to format the EHD. Some of us run into problems after archiving SD content.

I have a 1 TB drive that used to work. Now with 9242 firmware v185 the 1 tb doesn't work well and I've got trouble with my 250 Gb drive too.
Old 2010-03-01, 09:57 AM   #173
jeff_8180
Rookie

I tried both EHD in my 6131, both formatted with no problems so at least I know the EHD's are Good. I'm wondering if my problem is relating to the internal HD crashing. When I opened up the case I just unplugged the IHD from the main board.
Are there any other settings that I need to change to tell the 9242 that the IHD is no longer in use?

Just a thought...

I'm going to call tech support tonight.
I'll keep you informed.
Old 2010-03-01, 05:19 PM   #174
FunkyTown

My EHD shut down last night any time I tried to access it on the 9242. I had no SD content on it. So it's not SD content causing the issue. Plugging it into the 9241 I was able to restore the entire EHD back to being empty. Now it works again in the 9242. I give up on this one. All I know is I had no problems for months with this drive. After firmware v184 the entire situation has changed from excellent to horrible.
Old 2010-03-02, 12:26 PM   #175
jeff_8180
Rookie

After an hour on the phone with Bell the final conclusion was there's something wrong with your receiver, would you like to buy another one since you aren't renting and it's 16 months old (That has already been replaced once within that time frame)? Ha! Ha!
So right now I have an HD PVR with no PVR funtionality, I got one expensive HD receiver.
While on the phone with them my version was V183 and after doing a Factory Default and a reboot I went to V185. They must know that there's something up EHD, 9242 and their versions... Now, I'm able to format the EHD but can't use it. "Data not available at this time".

One frustrated customer...I know, join the club.
Old 2010-03-02, 04:46 PM   #176
FunkyTown

I bought a new 9242 in September at the Source. When I got it home, I noticed the buttons inside the case on the left were all recessed inside the PVR. I could not press them. It was already plugged in when I noticed this, and the fan was making a terrible noise. I called Bell and they said to call the Source to get it exchanged. I did, and the Source exchanged it for me. Then last month (February), Bell replaced that one. So I'm on my 3rd 9242 since September. The last 2 PVRs had a problem with the EHD. Not exactly the same issue though.

- One would state, "Bell must activate this feature. Call 1-888-sky-dish.
- The other message is, "Your USB device has been removed from the PVR" - the EHD is off when this happens.

It continuously shuts itself off. So I replaced the hard drive to a completely different one. Instead of a 1 TB I'm now using a 250 Gb - same exact problem - shuts off after a minute or so of using it. None of the EHD problems existed before V184 and now V185. They appear to have compromised their once working EHD functionality with this new firmware.
Old 2010-03-02, 05:20 PM   #177
volklman
Rookie

i was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to my issue.i have a 9241 and i was hoping to move some of my recordings to an external drive i have.the receiver recognizes it but when i click on usb storage all it does is then show an option for photos,all i had on there was tv shows and movies.i decided to format it on my mac but nothing really changed,no option of formatting it through the receiver.the EHD is a 3.2 sata @ 5400 which i thought might be the problem but i do see other posters with the same rpm.any help would be great.
Old 2010-03-02, 10:29 PM   #178
volklman
Rookie

make that a 2.5 sata drive.thinking now that i could use more storage anyway and will search for a drive that will pair well with the 9241.
Old 2010-03-04, 10:20 AM   #179
sn469
Rookie

can i watch movies from a bell external drive if i cancell bell?
Old 2010-03-04, 10:44 AM   #180
sn469
Rookie

sorry , to add to last post im cancelling bell to go to shaw , i have a 1TB full of ufc fights will i be able to watch them ever again?