Cable Box Issues (educational purposes) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2014-01-23, 07:27 PM   #1
jordanwhite
Rookie

Default Cable Box Issues (educational purposes)

Hey there,
I have a cable box on the side of my house. it is currently disconnected from cable company and my OTA antenna runs inside of the box/through the box. It has a little lock on it. I believe it is called a Cable Lock Termination. I have purchased a tool online at Ebay....

when I pull back t he handle, insert it, spin it slowly, it doesn't grab anything. I looked visually inside and it looks like it would be the appropriate tool for the job. But is it possible that's its seized? or frozen? I cant get the inside to move no matter what I do. Is there a trick i'm maybe missing when using this tool?

All in all the reason I'm trying to do this is so I can add a splitter for my antenna

Last edited by Jase88; 2014-01-23 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Removed link
jordanwhite is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-01-23, 08:22 PM   #2
Jase88

While locking coax terminator tools are obviously available to be bought, note that using such a tool for accessing cable company-owned enclosures--particularly with the intention of pirating service--is illegal and discussion of such is prohibited in the forums.

Note that while you may not subscribe to any cable services, cable signal is almost always active within this enclosure. The obvious risk here is that OTA signal and cable signals within the same box could be accidentally combined, causing serious issues, such as cable signal "leakage" into the air. The opposite also occurs: OTA signal ingress into the cable plant. Cable companies are legally required to monitor for signal leakage from their plant and fix it without delay.

However, assuming that you somehow own the enclosure, and the locking terminator belongs to you, and there is no active cable line, then this is the procedure for using the tool:

When you pull back the handle, two flanges at the end should retract. At this point you insert the tool end into the locking terminator. You then release the handle, which deploys the tool flanges inside of the terminator. You should now be able to rotate and unlock the terminator.

If the tool cannot rotate easily when inserted into the terminator (with flanges deployed), do not force it. You will damage the tool. The terminator is likely frozen or otherwise seized. Try spraying WD40 into the terminator, or safely warming the box and try again.
Old 2014-01-24, 08:07 PM   #3
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

If you get in there, I would separate out your OTA coax cable(s).

Run it separately and away from the Cable Company stuff.

Get your OTA cables completely separate, completely outside of the Cable Company box. Don't strap them together and don't run them together either.

Label your OTA cables etc too - so they don't get mixed up with the Cable stuff.

Mount your own separate/different outside box if you need one.
Drill your own entrance hole into your house and run the OTA cable(s) there.

[ it can be beside and near the Cable Co box / entrance - but just so long as it is separate, maybe even labeled somehow so it is clear what is what ]

( I know this might sound excessive or troublesome, but that is just some personal advice I can try and give )

The cable company does all kinds of different stuff inside their box - for this that or the other reason - like for providing internet service / or phone service or whatever ... and you don't want that getting involved or mixed up, or right immediately beside and touching with your OTA cables / system / antennas systems and cables / whatever else is on your OTA setup.

Have a little bit of separation there - for a little space, and clarity of function / less possible confusion.

... and don't let the Cable co run their cables in your through your OTA holes or OTA box either ... Advise them to keep their stuff somewhat separate from yours ... drill their own holes, run their own cables, not try to reuse or use any of your OTA cables. Keep an eye on what they do ... or try or attempt to do [ Supervision ].

Again - just my personal thoughts and ideas on this subject ... but I think that is OK advice.
mrvanwinkles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-01-24, 11:12 PM   #4
Jase88

^^^ Actually, I don't recommend touching the cable company lines/equipment whatsoever--they typically own the box and it's contents. Unlike most POTS providers, cable companies assert ownership of all cable lines and equipment up to the set/modem (if not rented), etc. The demarcation point is where their line terminates at your equipment and not at the CSE (Customer Security/Service Enclosure).

Cable companies often install drop amps, splitters, filters and other equipment within the enclosure. You never know what a cable tech will do if he/she encounters your OTA stuff within.

Locking coax terminators and their associated tools are not proprietary. Anyone can legally own and use them. But this doesn't give a homeowner authority to access or utilize the CSE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.