Mythtv - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2010-05-10, 02:20 PM   #181
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

mlord, are your patches making it upstream into the project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-10, 05:20 PM   #182
mlord
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Thanks! I can't remember the name of the theme I am using, but it is the only one that has a 4:3 version, so it is probably slightly different from yours.
Okay. Well the basic thing to do, is to add that line to any "buttonlist" declarations in the theme.

Cheers.
Old 2010-05-10, 05:24 PM   #183
mlord
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
mlord, are your patches making it upstream into the project?
Nope. They run a very closed development community, designed to shun outsiders as much as possible while still calling themselves "open source".

And my patches are written to be minimally intrusive (so I can keep them up to date easily), rather than "design correct".

SWMBO and I discussed this last night -- I do see exactly how to redo the patches so that they should be "acceptable", but the job of feeding them into the maintainers still incurs a massive startup effort, and requires subscribing to mailing lists, issue tracking systems, etc..

I do enough of that already for my paid and volunteer efforts currently.

Cheers
Old 2010-05-10, 07:33 PM   #184
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Are all your patches against the Mythbuntu theme? If so, we could fork a new theme and say to heck with them.
Old 2010-05-10, 08:29 PM   #185
mlord
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Are all your patches against the Mythbuntu theme? If so, we could fork a new theme and say to heck with them.
No, most of my (small) patches are against the mythtv-0.23 code base.

There are 3-4 against the Mythbuntu theme, though -- somebody _could_ try pushing those to launchpad at Ubuntu.com.

I used to be rather diligent about reporting bugs to Ubuntu.. but absolutely none of them were ever fixed, and all they ever did was sit on them for two years, before suddenly closing them and asking that I resubmit if still b0rked.

Duh.
Old 2010-05-10, 08:43 PM   #186
mlord
Veteran

The current patch collection. Mostly all WAF/usability fixes:
Code:
01_menu_ui_no_scrolling.patch           Fix main menu to show all six items at once.
02_schedule_ui_more_at_once.patch       Show more channels/timeslots at once in EPG.
04_recordings_left_right_arrows.patch   Re-enable left/right arrow keys in "Watch Recordings".
05_mythvideo_left_right_arrows.patch    Re-enable left/right arrow keys in mythvideo
06_mythvideo_up_down_arrows.patch       Re-enable up/down wraparound in mythvideo
07_scheduled_left_right_arrows.patch    Re-enable left/right arrow keys in "Upcoming".
08_previously_left_right_arrows.patch   Re-enable left/right arrow keys in "Previous Recorded".
09_progfind_left_right_arrows.patch     Fix b0rked left/right arrows in "Program Finder".
10_schedule_ui_buttonlist_fixes.patch   Re-enable wrap-around within fields in "Schedule Recordings".
15_vdpau_no_usleep2000.patch            Nuke needless 2msec delay from VDPAU code.
17_allow_slow_dvd_read_speed.patch      Allow selecting 1X/auto DVD-read speeds.
21_mythweb_channelicon.patch            Fix humongous channel icons in mythweb.
28_signalmon_tunername_display.patch    Show name of current tuner in "Signal Monitor".
29_dont_find_grabbers.patch             Get rid of 15-second "Finding Grabbers" delay from mythtv-setup.

16 files changed, 194 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)
Old 2010-05-11, 04:14 PM   #187
DHR

mlord:

I just bumped into this useful but long thread. I'm very sad that you aren't able to upstream your fixes. At least you've got the ear of the cx18 driver author.

This single forum thread seems very useful but not easy to organize. How about a thread per topic? How about posting some of this to the most appropriate lists or fora? I do appreciate your additions to the wiki page on the HVR-1600.
Old 2010-05-11, 04:40 PM   #188
mlord
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
This single forum thread seems very useful but not easy to organize. How about a thread per topic?
That's more up to the moderators. I have trouble guessing their preferences -- some prefer new threads for new subtopics, others prefer posting to existing threads whenever possible.

As for MythTV-0.23 --> with my usability patches in place on top of the Mythbuntu theme, I really, really like the new look and functionality of this release. Mind you, I build my own from source code (svn), rather than using the Mythbuntu builds.

And yes.. it's official.. MythTV-0.23 is now out of beta.
Old 2010-05-12, 12:14 AM   #189
DHR

Interestingly, my posting was truncated. Not that the rest was that important. I mentioned a posting I made to the mythtv-users list yesterday and a hope that I'd see mlord at the Linux Symposium in a couple of months. I wonder what happened.
Old 2010-05-12, 09:59 AM   #190
mlord
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
I mentioned a posting I made to the mythtv-users list yesterday and a hope that I'd see mlord at the Linux Symposium in a couple of months.
Well, I'll be there of course.

I'm giving a tutorial on controlling stuff over USB, with some of my OTA antenna switches and other custom MythTV hardware hacks for show-and-tell, among other stuff. The tutorial is intended to be hands-on, but things could be tricky if over a hundred people show up for it again.

Can you PM me with a pointer to your mythtv-users post?
Old 2010-05-12, 10:32 AM   #191
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Is there an easy way to change the title/episode name in MythTV 0.22? Apparently this feature was added in 0.21 (highlight the recording, press I, select "Recording Options", and select "Change Recording Title"), but I can't seem to find the "Change Recording Title" option in 0.22?
I must have been blind the previous times I looked for it (or more likely half asleep) as I saw it there the other day, staring me right in the face. Sorry about that.
Old 2010-06-08, 03:24 PM   #192
shc78
Rookie

Default mythtv and rogers

I'm a newbie to htpc and to this site so i apologize for any stupid questions. I want to build my own hd-pvr as i hate paying any more than i have to, especially to the evil empire (rogers).

Mythtv sounds like a promising start but i have a few questions regarding its setup\configuration:
1) can i record hd programs from a rogers hd-stb (the non-pvr version) to my mythtv computer? or do i need the pvr version of the stb?

2) If i wanted to watch live digital tv i assume i would need a tv-tuner card, would that mean i would need to connect the rogers hd-stb to my myth tv computer via component?

3) if you can record all your shows using mythtv why do some people have a hauppage pvr and computer?
Old 2010-06-08, 04:31 PM   #193
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

shc78, Yes you can record HD programs from a Rogers STB. There are two options for this.
  1. If your STB has a firewire port, and if you can hack to box to enable it, and if you can find a linux driver for the box and if you can get everything working (often easier said than done), you can record the digital signal without converting it to analog first.
  2. Otherwise your best option is to use an Hauppauge HD-PVR to encode the component video output of the HD STB and send it to your PC.

You can't use a standard tuner card to record the HD video from Rogers as they encrypt their digital channels, requiring you to use their digital box. You don't say where you are located, but you could connect an antenna to a tuner card and receive all the local HD broadcasts (if you have any yet). This will give you a much better picture than Rogers gives you and allow you to record more than one channel at a time by saving the STB for the specialty channels that aren't available OTA (or if you can live without them, dump Rogers all together and go OTA only).

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Old 2010-08-27, 10:47 AM   #194
roger1818
Veteran

One thing that has been bothering me is that while the volume of the analog channels recorded with MythTV matches the volume of live TV (using the TV's tuner), the digital (ATSC) channels are much quieter. Is there a way I can give the digital channels an extra boost in volume? I am using an HVR-1600 if that is useful.
Old 2010-08-31, 03:42 PM   #195
rpr

Not at the moment. There might be some work done in the trunk version to address this, but I haven't seen anything. I used to have a script that would turn the volume down on the capture side, but I let that slip a long time ago, and I doubt it would even work. Then I hacked the code to NOT adjust the volume on the analog recording devices, but again I let that slip. I don't have any current method to adjust for it.