Pace Summit (DC758D) thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2009-11-03, 01:15 PM   #76
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB View Post
I have a DC758D and am quite pleased with it overall.

I have only one puzzling thing that I can't seem to sort out. Sometime in the first few days of owning the box I scheduled a series recording from midnight to 2:00 am for each Saturday in the future. Now I would like to delete this scheduled series but can't find anywhere that allows me to do so. It does not show up under the scheduled series tab. Looking under the future recordings tab, if I do an <enter> on the apropriate time/channel slot in the future the menu options that are then shown on the bottom of the screen do not (as with other series) include a delete option. I'm stuck.

Not a big deal by itself, but for some reason when this this un-named time slot record command does record an issue arises. The recording is done properly, but instead of shutting down afterwards the box somehow thinks that it is still recording--forever--or at least until manually told to stop. It is not recording during this period.

This is a bit of a pain, especially as I'll be out of town for a while and would prefer the box be on standby when not recording when I'm gone.
If the options are not there to deletre the series recording you could try modifying the options so there is no more repeats. Also if you wanted a format of the drives should also clear out any series recordings which would wipe this out as well....and all of the recordings you have so far as well.
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-04, 03:36 AM   #77
bobbyk1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB View Post

I have only one puzzling thing that I can't seem to sort out. Sometime in the first few days of owning the box I scheduled a series recording from midnight to 2:00 am for each Saturday in the future. Now I would like to delete this scheduled series but can't find anywhere that allows me to do so. It does not show up under the scheduled series tab. Looking under the future recordings tab, if I do an <enter> on the apropriate time/channel slot in the future the menu options that are then shown on the bottom of the screen do not (as with other series) include a delete option. I'm stuck.
Simply go into your "future recordings" and choose "delete this recording" on the next scheduled recording for that show.
Old 2009-11-04, 10:46 AM   #78
NormB
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk1133 View Post
Simply go into your "future recordings" and choose "delete this recording" on the next scheduled recording for that show.
Ah, but I can't. In contrast to future recordings of named shows, the delete option does not show up on the little menu that appears when you click on the next scheduled recording of this time slot.

I was able to make use of the previous SGuru suggestion to shorten the series to one. It looks as if I now may only have one more of these that is going to record. Tnx
Old 2009-11-06, 03:52 PM   #79
JayZee
Rookie

Default Blank recordings

Hey guys, I picked up the DC758D a few weeks ago and works pretty good, but one thing I've seen is that it will
make a blank scheduled recording every once in a while. I checked cables amongst other things and found nothing.
Has anyone else experienced this? Its a pain to miss a show that you thought was going to be recorded.
You try to play it back and all you get is black.

Another annoying thing is that when you are fast forwarding or reverseing. When you press play at the scene you want to watch,
it jumps forward or reverse from where you are and you have to start the process over again or use the jump buttons. Drives me nuts.
Old 2009-11-07, 08:21 AM   #80
Dr.Dave

JayZee, the blank recordings could be from a channel that you don't get. If you are recording a series on network TV and you don't get the time shifting package you could end up with a blank recording if you choose "All channels".
Old 2009-11-07, 05:17 PM   #81
SkeardyKat
Rookie

I bought this model of Pace on Oct 7, and have been giving it the benefit of the doubt. From the unreliable recordings, the problems with rewinding and fast-forwarding, I have finally lost patience with it and returned it to SHAW and bought a Motorola 3416.

The 6416 phase 3 I have in my bedroom has performed flawlessly with recordings that the Pace failed to record. The shows were on at the same time and same channels. The Motorola never missed one recording , while the Pace missed some. The Pace seemed to be missing more and more as time went.

Also, both boxes were using SHAW EXPANDERS, that were switched with each other, including cable and adapter, to eliminate that possibility of hardware trouble. Both expanders worked perfectly with the Motorola and both had troubles with the Pace.

In my opinion the Pace is junk!
Old 2009-11-07, 09:10 PM   #82
kinson100
Rookie

Somewhere in the DC758D Manual it says you can back up the recorded materials in thehard drve to DVD etc . It also mentioned that other PVR could not see or delete thismaterials, As a newbie to HD DCT/PVR would like to know if a PC can see/edit them?

Thanks
Old 2009-11-08, 12:04 AM   #83

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

No, the files are encrypted. In order to copy to a DVD recorder or PC, you need to use say S-video and analogue audio in real time while playing the recording on the PVR and recording on the DVD recorder (or PC).

Another option is the Hauppauge HD PVR for HD - same process.

See the following FAQ on Recording HD:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

and the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2009-11-08, 01:38 AM   #84
paconlacellars
Rookie

Default CC or Subtitles, audio

I have a Samsung LCD (Series 550) connected to the Pace Summit. I am very happy with the quality of the image but have two questions that Shaw has been sofar, unable to answer:
1. On many (if not all) channels the sound does not match the lips (out by about 1/4-1/2 sec);
2. The CC and/or subtitles are not visible onscreen. I have set them up as per the manual but nothing on the screen. I am wondering if they are only available through an RF connection and not the HDMI I am using. Any ideas?
Old 2009-11-08, 09:53 AM   #85

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

1. See the following synch post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...26&postcount=2

2. For CC, the STB must do the CC (for HD channels/signals), not the TV. Once the STB is doing the CC, it doesn't matter what connection is used because the CC is now part of the signal going to the TV. The CC option is activated in the STB menu.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

For SD channels, the TV can do the CC if you feed it a 480i signal, however, as you mention, often TVs can't CC certain connection types like HDMI.

See also the following post, useful for those new to this forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2009-11-08, 10:54 AM   #86
das75

spec say Dual tuner, does that mean I can record two programs at the same time or just watch one, while recording a second?
Old 2009-11-08, 02:00 PM   #87
yvr76

You can either:

- watch 1 program, and record another
- record 2 programs at once (and watch one of the recordings in progress)
- record 2 programs at once, and watch a previously recorded program at the same time
Old 2009-11-08, 04:23 PM   #88
hebe4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paconlacellars View Post
I have a Samsung LCD (Series 550) connected to the Pace Summit. I am very happy with the quality of the image but have two questions that Shaw has been sofar, unable to answer:
1. On many (if not all) channels the sound does not match the lips (out by about 1/4-1/2 sec);

When this happens (also with video judder), I hit pause for a few seconds and then live. You may also need to power off/on again.
Old 2009-11-08, 06:07 PM   #89
Rookie

Default Auto Aspect Ratio for HD channels?

I know on the motorola box's you can set something in the menu so that if your watching an HD channel thats a non HD show that it will auto zoom the image to fill the screen, on the PACE unit that i have DC758D, i cant seem to find a menu or option to do this?

So that it will be fullscreen on the TV instead of the weird shrinked look.
Old 2009-11-08, 06:09 PM   #90

You can only do what you state for SD channels (4:3 override on the Motorolas), or send 480i/p to a TV which then does the stretch. The HD channels with upconverted 4:3 programming will not be "auto stretched", unless you have a TV that has that option.