Pace Summit (DC758D) thread - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2009-10-21, 02:25 PM   #61
xclaw
Rookie

Hey all,

Just picked up the DC758D myself and have a quick question. My Sony Bravia TV is capable of 1080p and 1080p24 according to the manual however in the DC758D display capability menu I can only set yes/no for 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p. Yet the DC758D manual shows a picture of being able to change all those settings along with 1080p24 and 1080p30, would this be a discrepancy with the manual with regards to the unit or is there a way to get these display options available?

The unit is hooked up via hdmi and I've disabled the hdmi auto detect option thinking perhaps it was causing an issue to no avail.

Anyone encounter this or have some tips I could try?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-10-21, 03:34 PM   #62

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

There are no 1080P broadcasts, so the option may not be available at this time. See the following relevant FAQs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129 HDTV Formats

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543 On Upconversion

And the following useful post - FAQs, Search tips, optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2009-10-21, 04:10 PM   #63
thokor

I picked one up 2 weeks ago and have only had one small issue. When I turned it on Sunday morning I had a popup that’s said " your hard drive is 100% full please delete one or more recordings" . I only had 3 one hour recordings on it though. for some strange reason it lost the ability to read the external sata drive , I had to do the unplug all , plug in drive, plug in PVR routine to get it to work again ( I actually had to do the routine twice to get it to see the drive again)

Anyone else had an issue of it not seeing the drive?
Old 2009-10-21, 04:19 PM   #64

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Sometimes this sort of thing happens if there is a short power failure. The eHDD is not "up" by the time the PVR looks for it.

I usually recommend that people have a small UPS (say 500 VA) with the PVR and the eHDD plugged into the battery protected side. All other equipment into the surge only side. This sort of UPS can often be picked up for about $50 or less on sale.

This even allows you to record programmes during a power failure, provided your cable signal is "live", which it often is if the power failure is local.

Sometimes there are simply "glitches" that occur with this sort of equipment. A reboot or reconnection usually solves it as you found out.
Old 2009-10-23, 10:35 AM   #65
thokor

Quote:
I have a question regarding the TV Display Capabilities menu - I have a 720P TV so do I select "no" for 480i/p so the box only outputs at HD resolution or do I select "yes" to all and let the box transmit the source content as is? I'm a little confused about this because I want the least amount of 'processing' with the signal and want the best possible picture quality - or does it even make a difference?
Curious about this also. I went in and turned them off one at a time and it didn't seem to make any difference. The HD was still 1080i and the lower channels were still 480i according to the little lights on the fromnt of th box.
Old 2009-10-23, 11:34 AM   #66

Usually the "passthrough" option provides the best PQ, but it really depends on the quality of the upconversion done by the TV vs the quality by the STB. Many people see little difference. Read the FAQs listed in post 62.
Old 2009-10-24, 11:43 PM   #67
Waldon
Rookie

I hooked up a Pace DC758D with the Western Digital hard drive last night and everything seems to be OK.

The only wrinkle is that the hard drive doesn't spin down when I turn the terminal off. I'm new to digital PVR's but the external drives hooked up to my computer spin down when I turn the computer off so I would expect the same thing to happen here. Am I right about this?

The setup instructions for the terminal contain a menu item called Hard Disk Sleep Mode with the description: "To turn off power to any attached external hard disk when the set-top is in Standby mode. Hard disc switches on to make recordings" The factory default setting for this is 'on'.

Shaw tech. support couldn't give me any answers about this, so I would really appreciate any feedback and advice.
Old 2009-10-30, 05:38 AM   #68
kud0s

Any idea how long the box takes to format a hard drive? I have been on

front Panel = C99C
TV = Formatting hard drive. For a while now. I figured it would be a quick format, but does this actually do low level stuff?

How long should I wait before I give up?
Old 2009-10-31, 02:30 PM   #69
Favelle

Default Pace 758D....IR receiver?

What the heck is that for? Isn't it built into the unit like every other STB in the world?
Old 2009-10-31, 11:25 PM   #70
travisc
Veteran

I believe Pace has found that certain TVs can interfere with IR functionality on the box, so you can add an external IR "eye" that you can place farther away from the box.
Old 2009-11-01, 12:19 AM   #71

Or inside a cabinet or other spot so the unit is out of the way with only the "eye" visible for IR.
Old 2009-11-01, 01:36 AM   #72
whiteguitar
Rookie

Default PACE 758D Freezing Using Non-Shaw External HD

Hello, Everyone.

I'm hoping somebody could help me out. Based on the previous postings here, I went ahead and got myself a PACE DC758D from shaw, and used a Western Digital 500GB HD with a Vantec eSATA enclosure (cause really, who wants to dish out $200 to SHAW for a 1TB external HD).

Everything worked great in the beginning. The 758D recognized the external HD and I was recording shows happily, but lately the cable box started freezing during playback of my recorded shows, and it's also freezing during recording of my shows while I'm watching another channel. It would reboot by itself after freezing, and I would lose all my guide listings, and I would have to wait for all my guide listings to download again.

I called up SHAW technical and they said that it was my Non-Shaw external HD that could be causing the freezing because the "configuration" on my WD/Vantec drive is not the same as their SHAW external PVR drive, and that could be causing a conflict with the cable box, thus freezing. Does anybody have the same experiences with their Non-SHAW external HD? Any advice and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by whiteguitar; 2009-11-01 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 2009-11-01, 01:47 AM   #73

Please supply the exact model numbers for the HDD and the enclosure.

Is your signal strength, S/N Ratio good?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274
Old 2009-11-02, 08:28 PM   #74
NormB
Rookie

Default Deleting a scheduled, un-named series recording

I have a DC758D and am quite pleased with it overall.

I have only one puzzling thing that I can't seem to sort out. Sometime in the first few days of owning the box I scheduled a series recording from midnight to 2:00 am for each Saturday in the future. Now I would like to delete this scheduled series but can't find anywhere that allows me to do so. It does not show up under the scheduled series tab. Looking under the future recordings tab, if I do an <enter> on the apropriate time/channel slot in the future the menu options that are then shown on the bottom of the screen do not (as with other series) include a delete option. I'm stuck.

Not a big deal by itself, but for some reason when this this un-named time slot record command does record an issue arises. The recording is done properly, but instead of shutting down afterwards the box somehow thinks that it is still recording--forever--or at least until manually told to stop. It is not recording during this period.

This is a bit of a pain, especially as I'll be out of town for a while and would prefer the box be on standby when not recording when I'm gone.
Old 2009-11-03, 01:13 PM   #75
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by kud0s View Post
Any idea how long the box takes to format a hard drive? I have been on

front Panel = C99C
TV = Formatting hard drive. For a while now. I figured it would be a quick format, but does this actually do low level stuff?

How long should I wait before I give up?
Should only take 1 to 2 minutes for the drive to sync with the DCT. At least that's all it's taken for me with several connections like this.