New Pace/Shaw equipment launching Sept 30th - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2009-10-20, 11:40 AM   #61
Mysticode
Rookie

Ah thank you for your responses. I guess this just catches me off guard that Shaw would switch their hardware strategy, so that user's can now upgrade to PVR features just by buying an expander (or by supplying your own expander/eSata enclosure) after they have already bought the set top box. Boggles my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-10-23, 01:15 AM   #62
das75

Keep seeing that the Whistler supports analog, is it that that the Summit does not?

What I'm wondering is analog channels be viewed/recorded through the Pace Summit?

See in my area, the local CBC channel shows as Basic Cable, no CBC is under Digital TV and only other CBC is HD Basic but from Toronto.

And might of missed it but can the Expander be added to the Whistler?
Old 2009-10-23, 12:12 PM   #63
Dr.Dave

das75, in major cities (including Edmonton) Shaw transmits the analog channels in digital as well, so you will be able to receive them on an all-digital box.
Old 2009-10-26, 01:19 PM   #64
sjrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticode View Post
I guess this just catches me off guard that Shaw would switch their hardware strategy, so that user's can now upgrade to PVR features just by buying an expander (or by supplying your own expander/eSata enclosure) after they have already bought the set top box. Boggles my mind
To a large part, this is the hardware manufacturers' strategy/limitation. Motorola never added an eSATA port to the DCT6200 because it was never meant to be/become a PVR. Pace became a game-changer when they came along with the Summit. Now, Motorola will have to play catch-up as Pace has shown they can be an industry trend setter/leader.
Old 2009-10-26, 01:42 PM   #65
sjrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by das75 View Post
Keep seeing that the Whistler supports analog, is it that that the Summit does not?

What I'm wondering is analog channels be viewed/recorded through the Pace Summit?

And might of missed it but can the Expander be added to the Whistler?
Whistler is sold in markets which are not yet all-digital. If you're in a market which has all-digital, then the Summit will most likely be available, and you'll get all the channels in the line-up in digital format, as Shaw simulcasts analog channels in digital, and puts you on an all-digital map. The Summit does not have an analog tuner, but it becomes a moot point where an all-digital map is available.

The Whistler is eSATA-enabled, so you can add an Expander to the Whistler (as you can with all Pace set-tops within Shaw's roster).
Old 2009-11-07, 02:27 AM   #66
mike70sk

I currently rent a Motorola hd pvr for 10 bucks a month (that's the price in Saskatchewan, might cost more in other markets, but Shaw and sasktel are competing fiercely and ofourcse shaw wants to keep the price higher in other markets so they grab all the crash. unless im wrong about the price, but that's what i gathered from a previous post.

Amway, its 160 gig, which can fill up fast with hd content. i would like the extender, not sure if it works with my Motorola or not?

The other option would be buy the pvr ready pace box (assuming it works here in Saskatoon) and add the expander.

Not sure if it would be cost effective to buy it outright. i would save 10 a month, but then i would have to put out all the money upfront and then when the warranty expires when i buy it. if i keep renting it i have warranty forever.

I'm open for opinions what do you think would be more cost effective?

I wouldn't have even considered buying a box when i started renting cus they were like 750 bux, but now with the lower price and a tarabite of space it seems appealing.

I guess another thing to consider is that this is all new, we don't know if there are bugs galore coming with this products

thanks

Last edited by mike70sk; 2009-11-07 at 02:32 AM. Reason: new information
Old 2009-11-09, 06:40 PM   #67
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

I say buy the Shaw PVR Expander and hook it up to the existing PVR you have. If for some reason you decide not to have a DCT down the road you have a 1TB external drive to use as you want for a PC.
Old 2009-12-21, 06:03 PM   #68
Mysticode
Rookie

Ok I have bought the normal $250 Shaw HD Pace box. This model is e-sata ready correct? And I am correct to assume I can purchase the $150 Shaw PVR Expander, or use a 3rd party e-sata HDD setup, and at that point I magically have PVR ability?
Old 2009-12-21, 06:54 PM   #69
Shaw Guru
Veteran

So long as you have a Pace Summit (currently on for $248) then that is correct.
Old 2009-12-22, 04:19 AM   #70
Mysticode
Rookie

Thanks for your reply Guru. I have connected my external HDD, and it formatted and worked perfectly. My question is now that can I safely power off my Shaw box and external HDD? Should I leave one on and the other not *(when not in use)*. The external HDD has an annoying blue light that I'd like to turn off at night, and I don't think the HDD being on 24/7 would wear down the drive no?
Old 2009-12-22, 12:27 PM   #71
Shaw Guru
Veteran

The Expander drive is designed to be on 24/7. You could turn off the DCT or the external drive however if a recording is set to come on in the middle of the night the DCT will power itself on but the external drive may not and you could miss the recording. I leave my Expander plug in all the time and just turned it around so I don't see the light. I turn off my DCT each night when I go to bed as I know if a recording starts it will turn itself on.
Old 2009-12-22, 12:36 PM   #72
Mysticode
Rookie

Oh that's really cool, I didn't know the DCT comes out of sleep mode to record something. That said, is there a reason to put it into sleep mode in the first place?
Old 2009-12-22, 02:57 PM   #73
XBrav

Well, over some period of time, the drive might wear down if you don't. However, I've been leaving my DCT-6208 powered on 24/7 for the past 3 weeks, with no issues whatsoever. I'll let you know when my hard drive explodes! lol
Old 2009-12-22, 04:07 PM   #74
Mysticode
Rookie

Which is the DCT-6208?
Old 2009-12-22, 04:35 PM   #75
XBrav

Sorry,

To clarify, it's one of the first HD PVR units available from Shaw. I'm pretty sure they are no longer available from Shaw.

Tags
pace, pvr, pvr expander, summit, whistler