New Pace/Shaw equipment launching Sept 30th - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2009-10-11, 04:48 PM   #46
kud0s

Is there any reason to not buy the new Pace?

I have a old Vantec Nextar kicking around with a 750gb drive in it. Theoritically, I would be getting a HD PVR for 298. Seems like a pretty good deal to me (can't believe I just said that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-10-12, 01:35 AM   #47
cslusarc

I am at a crossroads here. I made two purchases this weekend. I got a DCT 6200. Then I got the new Pace HD terminal. I will keep one and return the other if I don't cancel one of the orders before it ships.

Which HD terminal should I keep? The cheaper DCT6200 or the more expensive Pace HD terminal that I can upgrade later on to a HD-PVR.

Last edited by 57; 2009-10-12 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Store/pricing removed.
Old 2009-10-12, 12:09 PM   #48
lgplasma

If it were me, I'd keep the Pace. The ability to go PVR cannot be under-estimated. Even if you get a cheap enclosure and a small drive (say 250GB) for under $70 you can have a fully fledged PVR and be able to pause and rewind live TV. Its a convenience that is well worth paying the little extra for.
Old 2009-10-12, 12:44 PM   #49
Dean W

I picked up the Pace Summit and added non-Shaw branded Western Digital 1TB Expander from Best Buy. Easy to set up and easy to use. I was hoping for new guide style/software, but it is the same as with my other receivers, maybe a tad faster.
Old 2009-10-16, 11:14 PM   #50
zoecat5
Rookie

So I have a 3416 that we bought last Christmas and am a little choked that I will need to pay an additional $200 to buy the expander from Shaw for a total outlay of $600 when I could get a brand new machine for $500. I suppose the difference is the 160 GB I have in the PVR I currently have versus the one they are now selling - Have I got this right?

Is there another option for an external drive that will work for less $ or should I try and get Shaw to give me a price break since I'll be out of pocket more than if I had waited a year and bought a pace now.

Thanks!
Old 2009-10-17, 12:58 AM   #51
Mysticode
Rookie

A question, with the $299 Pace DVR from Bestbuy/Shaw, can I plug in my Vantech e-sata enclosure and unlock PVR ability?
Old 2009-10-18, 03:17 AM   #52
Mysticode
Rookie

Bump, an answer would be great
Old 2009-10-18, 03:38 AM   #53
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticode View Post
A question, with the $299 Pace DVR from Bestbuy/Shaw, can I plug in my Vantech e-sata enclosure and unlock PVR ability?
Check this thread for info on 3rd party enclosures: http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=113677
Old 2009-10-18, 11:47 AM   #54
lgplasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecat5 View Post
So I have a 3416 that we bought last Christmas and am a little choked that I will need to pay an additional $200 to buy the expander from Shaw for a total outlay of $600 when I could get a brand new machine for $500. I suppose the difference is the 160 GB I have in the PVR I currently have versus the one they are now selling - Have I got this right?

Is there another option for an external drive that will work for less $ or should I try and get Shaw to give me a price break since I'll be out of pocket more than if I had waited a year and bought a pace now.

Thanks!
Yes, look in the 3rd party drive thread. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=113677
Old 2009-10-19, 03:34 PM   #55
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

zoecat5: At the time that was the top of the line model. Now a new better model has come out and you would be hard pressed at getting any compensation. It's like a PC: You could get a PC with Windows Vista and 250GB HDD and then a year later you could get one with Windows 7 and a 500GB HDD for the same price. Technology advances and we often have to pay to keep up with those advances. The good news is that the PVR you have now will work perfectly fine with the 160GB HDD that it has now. If you would like more room then a PVR Expander would be needed.

Also at the time you purchased your PVR there wasn't even the option to add an external HDD. This wasn't even available until almost 10 months after you purchased it.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:03 PM   #56
Mysticode
Rookie

Sorry that thread did not answer my question.

If one would buy the NON-PVR Pace product from Shaw, could they later on buy the Shaw extendor product or a confirmed working eSata enclosure system and simply connect it to the NON-PVR Pace product, and now have PVR functionality?

OR, do you have to buy the PVR model from Shaw in order to connect an external HDD device?
Old 2009-10-19, 08:47 PM   #57
TGokou
Rookie

The thread doesn't say that adding an external non-shaw branded will work with the Pace 758D and I don't know myself BUT since it seems to work with all the other boxes I'm guessing it would work with this box as well.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:48 PM   #58
TGokou
Rookie

Oh sorry I read your thread more carefully, yes you can buy the NON-PVR box and later on add the expander to add PVR functionality
Old 2009-10-20, 11:16 AM   #59
Mysticode
Rookie

So when you say "the expander", you mean any compatible eSata drive?
Old 2009-10-20, 11:29 AM   #60
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticode View Post
So when you say "the expander", you mean any compatible eSata drive?
The "expander" is referring to one of two things:

1) The Shaw PVR Expander sold directly by Shaw, and comes with a 3 year warranty through them
2) Western Digital My DVR Expander which is the same unit that Shaw uses, however this version is not purchased directly from Shaw and does not come with their 3 year warranty. In terms of functionality, however, they are the same unit.

Iomega and Seagate also make their own DVR expanders.

The list of compatible 3rd-party drives + eSata enclosures are still being confirmed, which is why I provided you with a link to that thread. There are a few threads in the Shaw forum discussing these topics, and this information is already provided in all of them.

Tags
pace, pvr, pvr expander, summit, whistler