New Pace/Shaw equipment launching Sept 30th - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2009-09-24, 07:44 PM   #1
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400
Default New Pace/Shaw equipment launching Sept 30th

On Sept 30th Shaw will be launching 3 new products.

Pace Whistler: A dual tuner 160GB PVR with analogue tuner which will be available for rent in all markets (replacing Pace Aspen and Tahoe rentals) and available for purchase in non-all digital markets as the current model of PVR for sale.

Shaw PVR Expander: a 1TB hard drive that can be attached to any existing Pace PVR and (once an upgrade completes in late October) most Motorola PVRs (those with sata connections)

Pace Summit: An HD DCT that by itself replaces the Motorola 6200 (non-pvr hd dct) however with a Shaw PVR Expander it becomes a dual tuner PVR with 1TB of storage. This will be sold as a 2-in-1 unit (along with the PVR Expander) and will be the current PVR available for sale in all digital markets going forward after Sept 30th.

Now that is not to say that Shaw will be getting out of using Motorola products but Pace will be the units for sale for the near future. (pure speculation on my part here) I think Motorola will eventually come out with a bigger and better product that Shaw may launch but right now there are no new products from them.
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-25, 04:15 AM   #2
yvr76

Any word on pricing? It would be great if the new DVR didn't include a return to the > $500 cost.
Old 2009-09-25, 10:20 AM   #3
Mach3

This is interesting news. I have a Shaw tech coming to check my setup today so I'll be interested to find out what info he know about these new boxes. I guess this means I'll have to put up with 6412 until the new Pace Whistler box comes out. Any word on the price of the Shaw PVR Expander ?
Old 2009-09-25, 11:46 AM   #4
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
Any word on pricing? It would be great if the new DVR didn't include a return to the > $500 cost.
My apologies for not including the pricing on the original post.

Pace Whistler: $19.95 rental (in all markets) (160GB dual tuner PVR)
Pace Whistler: $498 purchase (in non-all digital markets only). (160GB dual tuner PVR)

Pace Summit with a Shaw PVR Expnader: $498 (1TB dual tuner all digital PVR)
*you get 2 devices to make the PVR.

Pace Summit: $298 HD DCT with no internal hard drive

Shaw PVR Expander: $200 (1TB ESata enable harddrive that is compatible with all Pace DCTs and will be compatible with Motorola PVRs with ESata connections)
Old 2009-09-25, 02:34 PM   #5
Dr.FeelGood

More info on the Pace Summit (DCT758D) can be found here. Looks like an Aspen, except no HDD.

Also, on the Best Buy site for the extender, it says it supports the Motorola DCX3400. Maybe Shaw will be using the DCX3200/DCX3400 sometime in the future?
Old 2009-09-25, 03:51 PM   #6
travisc
Veteran

I can't see why they'd deploy the DCX line if this Summit box works well for them.
Old 2009-09-25, 04:05 PM   #7
sduguid

The summit looks like it'll be a good deal to get into a PVR, particularly for those who already have an external drive sitting around.

My experience with the pace boxes has been that they work with pretty much any external enclosure you throw at them, though I know others haven't had the same experience.
Old 2009-09-25, 04:18 PM   #8
lgplasma

Can the Pace boxes do simultaneous recording on 2 channels like the current Motos?
Old 2009-09-25, 07:23 PM   #9
Triplesea
Rookie

My mom has a DCT 6200 from what I've read is a PVR but just has no internal hard drive. With the new shaw 1tb drive coming im hoping to be able to connect the 2 but the 6200 does not have an esata drive. Would a usb to esata adapter work or is she pretty much outta luck of being able to record on this model?
Old 2009-09-25, 07:24 PM   #10
spitoon

I'm 99.9% she is out of luck on that model.
Old 2009-09-25, 07:45 PM   #11
Mach3

Had the shaw tech out today,he looked at the shaw - 9db splitter which he replaced but after the hard reset the problems are still happening. So I'm left with a box that's out of warranty & them wanting me to pay full price for a replacement Pace box. After looking at the website I have a question on the new Pace boxes. Is the only difference between the Whistler & the Summit just the Whistler has the HDD built in ? I'm disappointed that HDD is only the 160gb but aleast we can finally expand it to something decent for TV junkie like me I guess I'll wait till the new Pace boxes come out & try to get a trial rental with maybe a discounted purchase
Old 2009-09-25, 08:31 PM   #12
Sith

Location: Surrey, Shaw DCX 3400, Samsung UN46D6000, Denon Avr-1905, Paradigm CC-170, Titans, Atoms, PDR 10 v3

Hi there,

On the bestbuy site they state the non-shaw one being in stock right now for $199 and the Shaw one coming on October 10.

Is there any reason to wait, like extra warranty or anything like that?, or is the non-shaw one the same thing and if we can get it say today, buy it and then call shaw after it's plugged in?

Thanks
Old 2009-09-26, 10:39 AM   #13
Mach3

They should be the same expect for the Shaw logo I would guess. The only other thing I can think of is if you buy it from Shaw they my just do a exchange warranty where as Bestbuy would send you directly to Western Digital
Old 2009-09-28, 02:12 PM   #14
Roastbeef

The Summit seems an odd product. Without an external HD, the second tuner is useless. I assume they think that most people will by an HD to plug into it.
Old 2009-09-28, 03:14 PM   #15
travisc
Veteran

I don't think it's an odd product at all. Price-wise it's more than competitive than something like the older DCT6200 as a standalone HD box.

Tags
pace, pvr, pvr expander, summit, whistler