Advice for New Hampshire fringe area? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-09-21, 04:08 PM   #1
urbanantenna
Rookie

Question Advice for New Hampshire fringe area?

I now have an extreme fringe area that I like advice for. I know a station with a negative dB is pretty weak. My questions are, if I give in and get a rotator for this place, what are the chances of getting in a station rated -1.9db to -3db (station 9.1) with a Winegard hd8200u or antennacraft hd1850?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8ecdc8b95a4999

I was experimenting, and I can get 8.1, and 11.1 quite well with a homemade 4 bay bowtie (which has no reflector) on the roof. The only other station I would like to get in 9.1. I am thinking about getting 2 antennacraft u4000's (pointed in different directions) with a signal combiner to avoid using a rotator since this will be connected to a couple TVs and I read they perform well with VHF-High. I may choose a u4000 over a u8000 because it is less directional and only slightly less gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-22, 12:29 PM   #2
DdDave

I regularily pick up a station that tvfools lists at -26.6 (and not only during tropo), so I think you have to take the tvfool results with a grain of salt and put up the antenna and try it out. I have a bunch of stations in the -5 to -10 range that come in with no issues.

I think you should be able to get anything up to -10 if your antenna is outside and pointing at the station. I'm not overly familiar with those 2 models, so maybe someone else can comment on their quality.
Old 2009-09-22, 03:39 PM   #3
Jase88

Just get the antennas as high as you can. A tower is recommended.