Building a DBGH v1 mesh reflector - PVC type 1/2" or 3/4"? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-09-18, 07:44 AM   #1
Fastrack

Question Building a DBGH v1 mesh reflector - PVC type 1/2" or 3/4"?

Hi,

Currently I have a CH4228 and I want to build one of these as it looks better where the channels are weak for me right now - I've been reading the forum since the GH came out and just haven't have time.

Around me in Toronto, Ontario I can't find PVC crosses for the life of me so I'm gonna hack something for that (If someone knows a place that sells PVC crosses let me know). And the ONLY place that sells Sch40 PVC is Lowes! HD, Rona, Home Hardware only have CPVC which is VERY thin compared to PVC (I think they use the outside diameter for CPVC), and isn't cheap. I've also checked some plumber suppliers and they looked at me like I was nuts asking for PVC.

This antenna will be outside on a tripod mount attached to a rotor. And a 1" fence top rail for the main shaft. I was going to use these plans:
http://www.casano.com/projects/hoverman/index.html - which looks exactly like 300Ohms.

But now I've read 3/4" is a lot of wind load (weight etc..). Would I be better to use 1/2" PVC? I plan to make the antenna exactly like the plans above and use u-clamps to attach it to the 1" fence post.

Any viewpoints on this would be great. I already bought all the 3/4" PVC parts except the crosses, but they can be returned. And this came to $60 not including the mesh.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-18, 09:46 AM   #2
wildwillie

have you checked out canadian tire ,I went to the electrical department and found some electrical ground cable there with 6 strans of copper wire in it (2 meters ran me about 8.00)which i used the drill trick to straighten it. Also found some grey 1/2 inch PVC 10 foot lenghts rite across the way behind me. I went to the TSC store and picked up the 90 degree and T's plus they had plastic nuts and bolts . I think in total it ran me less then 25.00

You can off set the T's for the fram build if cross's can not be had.
Old 2009-09-18, 10:13 AM   #3
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
. And the ONLY place that sells Sch40 PVC is Lowes!
Look in the electrical dept for the cheaper grey stuff. Its UV resistant to boot.
Quote:
Would I be better to use 1/2" PVC?
Cheaper, lighter and IMO, strong enough when everything is put together.
Old 2009-09-18, 10:43 AM   #4
Fastrack

Thanks 300ohm,

I already read your post about that and bought sch40 fittings and the grey sch40 electrical pipe! (half the price)! $8 for sch40 water pipe and $4.50 for the electrical. Yes we get ripped off in Canada. lol

Ben
Old 2009-09-18, 10:46 AM   #5
300ohm
Veteran

Yeah, pretty big difference.
Old 2009-09-18, 11:06 AM   #6
Fastrack

wildwillie I did not know that electrical PVC pipe was made in 1/2" size! I'll check it out. Maybe I missed it as I had my mind set on using 3/4"!

For the actual antenna I bought up #8 ground wire from Radio Shack (the source) - 40' for like $3.00 sweet deal. This was about 10 months ago, I have 3 or 4 of these.

I guess it's time to return the 3/4" pipe and fittings I already had bought ALL the fittings in CPVC and had to return those. What a pain

What is the TSC store? I'm not familar with that short form Were you able to get crosses?
Old 2009-09-18, 02:03 PM   #7
300ohm
Veteran

Yeah, gray electrical sch 40 pvc comes in 1/2" and is only 85 cents for a 10 ft piece here at Home Depot. No good for drinking from, but for garden use, its OK too.
Old 2009-09-18, 03:54 PM   #8
Vorg

If you have a problem with the pipe warping at all, we were thinking about "quick-fix", also called "fix-all". It's a powder you mix with water for repairing walls. When it cures (starts getting too hard to work with in a few minutes) it becomes tempered like porcelain. Would add a little weight, but not a lot and should keep the pipe from warping. This would be a bigger problem it hot areas, plastic pipe don't like heat or sun. Unprotected PVC turns black, warps and twist in the hot sun like you took a torch to it. You would need to seal the pipe though after it has fully cured because getting it wet after wards causes the stuff to break down.

When mixing, add enough water to make it creamy and it will flow nice.
Old 2009-09-18, 04:57 PM   #9
wildwillie

Nope no luck on the cross pieces and TSC is were all the local farmers go to get feed supplies and other stuff .To the life of me i cannot remembers its full name Ares is located in chatham down by the walmart
Old 2009-09-18, 06:11 PM   #10
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
To the life of me i cannot remembers its full name Ares is located in chatham down by the walmart
Heh, TSC = Tractor Supply Company and mine is also located across from a Wal-Mart.

Also, use the black UV resistant wire ties found at Walmart auto dept, $2.84/100, to secure the mesh. White nylon isnt UV resistant.
Old 2009-09-18, 07:48 PM   #11
dcartier

I previously purchased PVC fittings from a company called Plastics Canada in Oakville. They carried both sch 40 and sch 80 versions and had all manner of fittings including the + fittings you are looking for.

This was about 15 years ago so I am not sure if they are still around but it may be worth a look in the yellow pages.

Dennis