Across CANADA - CTV stations to be discontinued? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-08-29, 05:12 PM   #1
cm023

Question Are some of CTV repeaters for sure going to be shutting down?

So I never really herd if the Repeaters they requested to be shut down, were for sure going to be shut down. I'm really wondering about the Channel 2 CKCO repeater in Wiarton (near our cottage).

My Grandma (who is up here almost all the time) is devoted to the CKCO news and the channel is not on Shaw Direct also our other 2 tv's with set top antennas, its the only channel they can receive.

Our main tv up here is on the Roof Antenna and we have Shaw Direct for the summer so it's not completely the end of the world. I'm just more curious then anything.

I herd AUG 31st was the date they could do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-08-29, 10:31 PM   #2
mjjl

Although CTV did not apply to renew the licenses for certain transmitters including CKCO-TV-2 Wiarton, the CRTC did renew the licenses for all transmitters. It is my guess the transmitters will remain on the air until the DTV transition in 2011.
Old 2009-08-31, 10:52 AM   #3
Blackburst

Well, we'll see tomorrow of any of those re-transmitters shut down.

Can folks post here if any of them shutdown in the next day or two.
Old 2009-09-01, 10:01 AM   #4
Blackburst

Okay...looks like the CJOH-TV Channel 8 retransmitter in Cornwall,ON has not shut down. It was still on the air as of this morning.
Old 2009-09-01, 11:05 AM   #5
mjjl

I received a report from Belleville that CJOH-TV-6 Deseronto was still on the air early this morning.
Old 2009-09-01, 03:39 PM   #6
Kenair
Rookie

I just checked and TV-2 Wiarton is still on the air.
Old 2009-09-02, 09:26 PM   #7
Jase88

If you're concerned about losing OTA signals, I would encourage you to write the station. It's important that they hear from their audience.

This is why I always make a point of contacting a station if something is wrong with their broadcast. They need to know people are indeed watching OTA.
Old 2009-09-03, 04:45 PM   #8
jiminct
Rookie

Default Is CJOH in Deseronto and Cornwall still running?

We are at 9-3-09, so if they arent turned off...
Old 2009-09-04, 01:30 PM   #9
GeoStar

I thought ctv 13 prided itself on community access to the local market..... and no ota dtv seems to fly in the face of that policy

Not everyone can have cable/ satellite etc for whatever reason , guess the comunitee members will have to fess up to all the money they haven't paid their sponsers over the years and get new sets, new converter boxes faster isp access etc yuk :/
Old 2009-09-04, 03:41 PM   #10
Jase88

CTV Toronto has one of the strongest digital stations available; it's easily received throughout Kitchener-Waterloo with a simple UHF rooftop antenna.
Old 2009-09-04, 08:11 PM   #11
mjjl

Quote:
I thought ctv 13 prided itself on community access to the local market..... and no ota dtv seems to fly in the face of that policy
That was the CJOH of a different era. Today it's all about profits for the shareholders in Toronto. CJOH can do what it wants as far as its local news coverage goes (and even that's questionable nowadays with increasing influence from Toronto), but decisions on digital transmitters, programming, and such are up to the suits in Toronto who feel responsible only to shareholders.
Old 2009-09-11, 07:50 PM   #12
bcgirl
Rookie

Default Across CANADA - CTV stations to be discontinued?

I've been researching what's going on with OTA during the digital transition and it looks very bleak for everyone not living in one of the 5 (?) major cities in Canada. Came across a list of CTV stations that will not be renewed this fall (read: being taken off air). Just in time to miss the Olympics (CTV being the sole broadcaster of the games?) Complaints sent to the station may help, but there seems to be a bigger issue at work here....Check the list to see if you'll be affected:

CKAM-TV Upsalquitch Lake, NB; CKX-TV-3 McCreary, MB; CKCD-TV Campbellton, NB; CKYP-TV The Pas, MB; CKCW-TV-2 St. Edward, PE; CKYF-TV Flin Flon, MB; CJCH-TV-4 Bridgetown, NS; CKYS-TV Snow Lake, MB; CJCB-TV-4 New Glasgow, NS; CKYT-TV Thompson, MB; CJOH-TV-6 Deseronto, ON; CIPA-TV-2 Big River, SK; CJOH-TV-8 Lancaster, ON; CKCK-TV-7 Fort Qu’Appelle, SK; CJOH-TV-47 Pembroke, ON; CICC-TV-3 Hudson Bay, SK; CFTO-TV-21 Severn Falls, ON; CIWH-TV-1 Humboldt, SK; CFTO-TV-54 Bobcaygeon, ON CFCN-TV-4 Burmis, AB; CICI-TV-1 Elliot Lake, ON CFCN-TV-6 Drumheller, AB; CITO-TV-1 Kapuskasing, ON; CFCN-TV-7 Bassano, AB; CITO-TV-2 Kearns, ON; CFCN-TV-11 Sparwood, BC; CITO-TV-3 Hearst/Hallebourg,ON; CFCN-TV-12 Moyie, BC; CITO-TV-4 Chapleau, ON CFCN-TV-13 Pigeon Mountain, AB; CHBX-TV-1 Wawa, ON; CFCN-TV-16 Oyen, AB; CKNY-TV-11 Dwight, ON; CFCN-TV-17 Waterton Park, AB; CKCO-TV-2 Wiarton, ON; CFCN-TV-18 Coleman, AB; CKVR-1 LP Parry Sound, ON; CFRN-TV-7 Lougheed, AB; CKNX-TV Wingham ON; FRN-TV-10 Rocky Mountain House, AB; CHWI-TV-60 Windsor, ON; CFRN-TV-12 Athabasca, AB; CKX-TV-1 Foxwarren, MB; CFCN-TV-15 Invermere, BC; CKX-TV-2 Melita, MB
Old 2009-09-11, 08:55 PM   #13
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie

Digital OTA will be wide spread across Canada

W9WI.com/Canadian permanent DTV allotments

http://www.w9wi.com/newweb/canada-dtv.html
Old 2009-09-11, 10:13 PM   #14
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Use the Industry Canada listings for Canadian stations since the U.S. ones that are based on the FCC have incorrect info:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

bcgirl, where exactly did you find that list?
Old 2009-09-11, 10:53 PM   #15
tablo

Maybe this: http://www.ctv.ca/generic/WebSpecial...ansmitters.pdf could be the one...