Internet TV vs. OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-09-05, 09:41 AM   #1
goforit
Veteran

Default Internet TV vs. OTA

Will Internet TV eventually take over other sources (i.e., OTA, cable/sat.)? This article below provides an update on internet TV and discusses how it has the potential of being more interactive than other mediums, but is currently hindered in quality. If Internet TV ever reaches OTA quality, other mediums may be redundant. Is it inevitable that all media will be experienced through the Internet/PC and in HD quality? Seems like my antennas may become obselete. I wonder what will happen...

Article:

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/628468
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-05, 09:47 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

17 Mbps for HD quality over the net? Not in my lifetime!
Old 2009-09-05, 11:41 AM   #3
kooguy

I doubt Bell or Rogers will ever remove the cap limit....
Old 2009-09-05, 02:37 PM   #4
mr weather
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooguy View Post
I doubt Bell or Rogers will ever remove the cap limit....
That is so true you have no idea...

Internet TV with the picture quality of current OTA HD will require fibre to the home and incredible fat pipes to support the required bandwidth. Who pays for that?
Old 2009-09-05, 02:54 PM   #5
ScaryBob
Veteran

Thumbs down

Bell is planning to deliver TCP/IP TV with fibre on the street and DSL2 to the home. Rogers has similar plans for HD VOD. Very high speed internet capable of delivering HD internet TV can be done but the problem is that internet TV competes with Bell's and Rogers' TV business units. That is the reason for low usage caps. As long as this conflict of interest exists, Canada will remain a high speed internet ghetto. To protect their own business interests, Bell and Rogers hold Canadians hostage while the rest of the world advances into the 21st century..
Old 2009-09-05, 04:50 PM   #6
recneps77
Veteran

Yep.
Not happening in Canada until someone brings FTTH without a side business in TV via other distribution methods.
Even then, OTA would probably remain for most markets.
Old 2009-09-06, 09:47 AM   #7
classicsat
Veteran

Quote:
Bell is planning to deliver TCP/IP TV with fibre on the street and DSL2 to the home.
That is still traditional pay TV though, and not Internet TV in the spirit of the article.

For Intenret TV to take off as a practical replacement for traditional TV, providers will have to really upgrade their networks and drop their caps to support the TV bandwith, and the rightsholders will need to put all of their content online, and for us Canadians, would need to include Canadian online rights, or force Canadian rightsholders to run the programs online.
Old 2009-09-06, 10:41 AM   #8
mr weather
Veteran

And that will never happen. Too many stakeholders. Too much meddling by CRTC.
Old 2009-09-06, 11:35 AM   #9
hugh
Member #1

It's not happening anywhere anytime soon.

Even if you had unlimited bandwidth into your home, Who is going to pay for the servers that serve up 19.4 Mbps streams to every one who requests it?

Imagine 50 or 100 million households clicking onto the link for the Superbowl or Academy awards. How many servers would you need to handle that?

I never understand how people can think that will ever happen.

My feeling is people really don't understand how "broadcasting" and the internet works!
Old 2009-09-06, 11:58 AM   #10
PlayitSimple

Just for clarification purposes, what would Telus, MTS & Sasktel TV services be considered- aren't those Internet TV services??

As for Bell and their IPTV service, I will believe when I see it. If I am not mistaken they have already invested millions maybe billions to launch an IPTV service only to put it on the backburner- idiots! Ontario & Quebec (the two largest provinces by population) are the only ones without such a service, its a disgrace frankly. Of course it will probably be the same as Bell TV (in terms of pricing/packaging) so if that's the case then I don't care if it ever launches. I believe other companies have license to launch IPTV in Ontario, Novus is one of them, why is no one launching anything- are they all waiting for craphole Bell to upgrade their infrastructure??
Old 2009-09-06, 06:32 PM   #11
recneps77
Veteran

The other guys can't deploy because there's just too much red tape to get permission to lay fibre in municipalities. And that's IF those cities are not in bed with Bell/Rogers and actually allow other companies to come in...

Paid IPTV is a whole other story though, as you have proprietary boxes and encryption to go with them. You can bet there will be zero free offerings in any form of IPTV deployed by bell or rogers. (Do we get QAM now? No.)
The main question in OP is if we will see a transition from wireless transmissions to internet 'broadcasts' for OTA.
Probably not. At least not if Bell/Rogers are involved.
The closest we'll see are the "watch" sites put up by broadcasters. But those are usually just major shows, and no news/live feeds. Not to mention poor quality for most.
Old 2009-09-07, 07:02 AM   #12
mr weather
Veteran

Do municipalities play games with franchise rules like they do in the US? If not there should be no legal reason for a third party not to lay fibre.

Still, that's an incredibly expensive proposition. Reality is it probably will never happen.
Old 2009-09-10, 01:53 PM   #13
tvlurker
Veteran

Quote:
Do municipalities play games with franchise rules like they do in the US? If not there should be no legal reason for a third party not to lay fibre.
It's a federal responsibility here, since it has to do with telecommunications.
AFAIK, the cities are not involved. And the Feds have gotten involved if the power company or telco won't give pole rights or apartment wiring rights to a competing carrier. Of course, that was before the free market idealogues took over.
Old 2009-09-10, 02:12 PM   #14
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
Just for clarification purposes, what would Telus, MTS & Sasktel TV services be considered- aren't those Internet TV services??
Sasktel etc are IPTV providers but its not Internet TV in the sense that most people think of, which is, click on a link and you tune into a video.

IPTV providers multicast streams out through a private network. The private operators are broadcast distributors who get that programming from broadcasters and then distribute them to subscribers. Essentially the same idea as a cable operator or satellite distributor.

With Internet TV, there is no middleman and you are on a public network (the internet). Go to a site, click on a link and you are watching a stream from that website. The internet can't support millions of people streaming broadcast quality HD streams

I'm not sure why folks are hung up on FTTH because even if you had fibre in every home, the networks could never afford to serve up broadcast quality tv streams via the internet.
Old 2009-09-10, 02:52 PM   #15
mr weather
Veteran

Can you say "exaflood"?