Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

No TV Guide in MCE of Windows 7?

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  shmish 
#1 ·
Today I turned on MCE to check TV guide, but all guide has gone! I used Peter's hack file to get guide, and it worked fine.

I only didn't use MCE for two days, not all guide has gone. And I can't find the "download guide now" option in Settings/TV/Guide. I remember there was such an option before.

Help!!!

#2 ·
Have you looked in the Event Logs (both system and media center)? Maybe there is some mention of what is causing this? I just checked my guide and my logs. Everything updated this morning. Worst case scenerio, you might want to clear your EPG and start again (look in hack7mc).

#3 ·
Last time, I fiixed it by logging in as admin, and starting from beginning, scanning channels, match guide, etc. And then I got guide back.

Today my friend told me he has same problem. So I went to check the guide updating in MCE. I tried to update guide manually, but it said MCE can't download guide. I switched to admin user again, still can't download guide. After Sept 22 there is no data for all channels.

I doubt there is something incorrect in the hack MCE made by Peter N. I wonder if anyone else has same problem? Nobody wants to do that things every two weeks, right?

#5 ·
Nope, I didn't use customized file. I am in GTA, so I chose 4.Toronto when I hack the guide.

I am using 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Normally I log in with another user instead of admin. But I can't even scan channels.

#6 ·
When I tried to "get latest guide" from "settings/TV/Guide", I got this message.

I right click the MCE icon, but there is no Log menu.

My friend said he even has no "get latest guide" option.

#7 ·
Good news, there’s a fix to this problem.

I discovered that I had the same issue after using Peter’s hack, which is a great solution for OTA digital in Canada.

When I ran the hack, I set up the following for myself:
  • Hauppauge HD-PVR with DVBLink for HDPVR so that I could use my Shaw Digital Cable set top box.
  • ATI TV Wonder card for OTA digital.
When I was configuring the ATI for Digital Antenna in MC, MC notified me that there were no guide listings for this tuner. The DVBLink tuner is faked out as a satellite tuner, so in this case neither will use the Shaw Vancouver Digital listings. The end result is if you go to Tasks, Settings, TV, Guide, you will notice that the “Get Latest Guide Listings” is now missing. Thus, MC will no longer get the guide listings for you.

I tried adding a step by faking out that that I was using the ATI analog tuner and using it on Cable. It did add the guide back and the “Get Latest Guide Listings”, however it was no longer retrieving the digital cable listings.

After using Google and discovering that you have the same issue, I searched to see how I could add the “Get Latest Guide Listings” back in the guide. I then found a tool that solves the guide issue.

Download and install Guide Tool from the following site:
http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

Some basic instructions on Guide Tool can be found here:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/07/managing-tv-listings-with-guide-tool.html

With Media Center open, run the Guide Tool as Administrator or disable User Access Control, like I did. After setting up your Lineup in Guide Tool, merging the tuners with the None option, you will discover that “Get Latest Guide Listings” is back and you can now download the Guide info again. I then used MC to Edit Channels and copy the guide listings to the 3 digital channels I have.

It works perfectly now. :D

#8 ·
Yes, it seems work. Thank you very much!!!

I am not sure if that application just needs work once, or I have to open it everytime with MC, or once every two weeks?

#9 ·
Guide Tool configures Media Center to use the Guide Lineup you selected and enable “Get Latest Guide Listings” it if it's disabled. It has other features, but that's all I used it for. After that, the rest can be done in MC.

The only time it would need to be run again, is if you needed to change your Guide Lineup, or had to run your TV Signal setup again to add or change a tuner.

#11 ·
I had been using DVBLink and HD-PVR for a few weeks now without issue. It didn't disable the Guide updates and everything was updating as expected.

It wasn't until I added the Digital Tuner - Antenna to MC that the issue started. The MC tuner setup notified me that for the digital tuner that there was no Guide information for my area (Vancouver). That is when the Guide updates got disabled. I had run your script for Vancouver, before running the setup. I suspect that MC disabled it as it didn't think it was needed. Since I hadn't added an Analog Tuner - Cable, it didn't put the guide back.

I suspect that there are 2 scenarios where the guide updates would be disabled.
  • When you set up a Digital Tuner with Antenna and nothing else.
  • When you set up a Digital Tuner with DVBLink and HD-PVR.
MC considers these scenarios as not having any available guide information. DVBLink on it's own must have some sort of hack to prevent the setup from thinking it needs to disable the guide updates.

#12 ·
I am using Hauppauge 950 USB Stick.

Pnear, would you please correct the bug in your crack for enabling ATSC in Canada? The channel CTV is in 9.1, not CITYTV.

The only thing making the guide tool non perfect is that it has no guide for 2.2,2.3,17.2,17.3, etc. And maybe some other available US channels in GTA.

#13 ·
lunear:

Have you tried assigning the guide info to the digital channel?

Tasks/Settings/TV/Guide/Edit Channels
  • Click on the digital channel missing guide info
  • Click "Edit Listings" for the channel
  • Choose "Sort by Number" and scroll through until you find the standard channel that matches the digital channel and click on it
  • Click on "Copy listings from channel <x> to channel <x.x>
Repeat the steps above for all the digital channels you want to match up guide info with and then save them.

#14 ·
Thank you very muc, Joe.

I didn't try like that since I thought that application is different with PNear's crack. But when I tried to edit guide for channel, I found there are 826 channels available to get guide. It's really AMAZING! Now I think no channels will have no guide. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.