How to connect outdoor antenna to tv? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-08-29, 02:08 PM   #1
SIRTIE
Rookie

Default How to connect outdoor antenna to tv?

Hello all, I have a question. How can I connect outdoor antenna to tv? My TV does not have coaxial cable connection. What do I need?
Is it possible to set it up through satellite receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-08-29, 03:38 PM   #2
ppauper

what connections does your tv have ?
and you don't have a vcr you can put it through ?
Old 2009-08-29, 07:30 PM   #3
M.Satterfield

If it has the old 2 screws for 300 ohm twinlead, just connect a BALUN to the end of your coax wire, and then hook the two leads from the BALUN to the VHF portion of the TV.

I am assuming the coax will be coming from either a satellite box or DTV tuner box that is set for either channel 3 or 4 on the VHF band.

Once it is all hooked up, tune your TV to either channel 3 or 4 (which ever one the box is set on) and you should be good to go.

HTH.

Mike
Old 2009-08-29, 07:33 PM   #4
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

It might be a new monitor-type tunerless TV too, so I'm hoping he'll post the make and model number here.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:30 AM   #5
JamesK
Veteran

If a regular TV doesn't have a coax input, it must be an antique, as coax has been standard for decades. If this is the case, you'll have to get a balun to convert from coax to the twisted pair input. If it's not an ancient TV, please describe what connections it does have.
Old 2009-08-30, 09:45 PM   #6
JamesK
Veteran

Quote:
Some luggable TVs don't have ANY connections, just one or two telescoping whips.
Perhaps, but I've had a couple of those, over the years, and both had a short piece of cable, from the antenna, coming out of the back and onto a coax connector. If you wanted to use the built in antenna, you'd leave that short cable connected. If you wanted to use an external antenna or cable, you'd unplug that short cable to make room for the connection. However, I didn't get the impression that's what he was referring to. For that matter, I didn't get much of any impression, because he didn't provide any useful info.
Old 2009-09-01, 11:54 AM   #7
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

No idea where the OP went, so I've moved some posts about vintage TVs to this great thread:

Retro Video Equipment (TVs, Antennas, Consoles, Etc.)

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-09-01 at 01:36 PM.