Can you get Free to Air Channels with ExpressVu? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2004

Old 2004-02-15, 07:44 PM   #1
rickhd

Default Can you get Free to Air Channels with ExpressVu?

I do not fully understand how this works or what you need. By what I understand there are some Free to Air channels some in high def and with a suitable receiver you can receive these channels.

If I attached one of these receivers to my Express Vu dish without changing the direction of the dish would I receive anything?
rickhd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2004-02-16, 01:15 PM   #2
classicsat
Veteran

Probably not the Bell HD channels. You might get some unencrypted Bell channels.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-02-18, 10:11 AM   #3
chenrikson

You will get the "free" tv channels - ie. how to use your remote, etc. You will also get the full range of the Galaxie and other audio feeds (they are not encrypted).

Craig
chenrikson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-02-18, 03:42 PM   #4
starchoice
Veteran

If they're not encrypted, how come they are not received on the BEV receiver without a subscription or are you saying that they are FTA directly from the source?
starchoice is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-02-18, 06:50 PM   #5
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice
If they're not encrypted, how come they are not received on the BEV receiver without a subscription or are you saying that they are FTA directly from the source?
They can't be received on a BEV receiver due to the proprietary software in the receiver/card. They just can't be viewed or heard without subscription, because that's what how the receiver is programmed.
If you use a standard FTA DVB receiver (not very popular in North America), you will be able to get those audio channels without problems.
Arthur Dent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-02-18, 11:00 PM   #6
Donnybrook

Default Re: Can you get Free to Air Channels with ExpressVu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhd
I do not fully understand how this works or what you need. By what I understand there are some Free to Air channels some in high def and with a suitable receiver you can receive these channels.
DVB open keyed and FTA broadcasts are generally on Ku band - not DBS. You need FTA receiver and Ku band LNBF like Star Choice uses.

Last edited by hugh; 2005-03-23 at 02:41 PM.
Donnybrook is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2004-02-19, 10:48 AM   #7
Tony M

I have a DVB receiver with a line running from the 91 feed. You can use the DBS LNB for the music feeds..You have the capability of getting in the clear

all the 900 channels

The other channels wiould say "scrambled"
Tony M is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-05, 05:49 PM   #8
tdti1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhd

If I attached one of these receivers to my Express Vu dish without changing the direction of the dish would I receive anything?
I don't no about HD, but I have a c/ku/dbs feed and I scaned bell and dishnetwork most of the music channels are open on both on dish nasa is there on bell not much that I recall.
tdti1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-01-06, 12:01 PM   #9
classicsat
Veteran

Other way round, NASA is on Dish. On Bell, the Galaxie channels are encrypted, on Dish the Sirius channels are.
Old 2005-03-23, 02:36 PM   #10
SteveT

I've inherited a Bell dish and 3100 receiver with a new condo purchase. Although I'm going to transfer the dish account over and do a basic $25 activation initially, over the long term, I've pretty much decided to go with digital cable.

So, I have a couple of questions. I apologize in advance if these repeat parts of other posts on the forum.
  1. With no mods at all, what can I get with this system once I tell Bell to close my account?
  2. Will any FTA broadcasts come in or will the receiver be completely de-activated?
  3. If I buy an FTA receiver of some kind, can I just hook it up to the dish wire and pick up anything?
  4. If I buy an FTA receiver and reposition the BEV dish, will I be able to pick up anything using this dish (it's an 18" or 24"—I won't have the new condo for another few weeks)? If so, what would be the best choice?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve.
SteveT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-03-23, 02:42 PM   #11
ken0042
Premium Supporter

I think the only thing FTA right now is Bell's "How use your receiver." I think that channel still comes in on a de-activated receiver though.

To use a Bell dish with a FTA receiver pretty much defeats the purpose. The Bell dish is fixed; whereas the FTA dishes are motorized to pick up many different satellites.

FTA is really more of a hobby; not reliable way to get free TV. If it was that reliable, more people would be using it.
ken0042 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-03-23, 03:15 PM   #12
SteveT

Ok, just thought I would check. I have fond memories of visiting a cousin in Nova Scotia with a satellite dish back in the early 80s and staying up all night a couple of times just channel surfing. It was so fascinating. Since the current condo owner is offering to leave his fully configured BEV system for no extra charge, I thought I might as well keep it. Although logically I'll probably never use it much, having the extra time-shifting channels, etc., when compared to Videotron's digital cable, etc., will be cool. Once I get over that novelty, I'll probably deactivate it and sell the system or give it to a family member who might want it. I was just trying to find some use for it.
SteveT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-03-26, 10:36 PM   #13
classicsat
Veteran

A DBS receiver is no fun. Now if you get a real FTA receiver, and disg, you can have some of the fun and glory of a C-band system.

You might be ablt ro repoint the disg to echostar 119, and get NASA, and a holoday music channel.
Old 2005-04-04, 10:19 AM   #14
croat

or dish 110 to get Gol TV. if you are soccer fanatic this the channel for you
Soccer 24/7
croat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-04-04, 10:29 AM   #15
croat

lsiten to this. I have a dish pointed at IA5 @ 97W for Croatian Programming. I like trying things out so I went and hooked up Bell receiver to it. Guess what I got some channels. Some arabic ones
I did some research and I've found out that there used to be service on that satelite by Echostar. It was called SkyVista. It doesn't exist anymore but there are still few channels left which use the same symbol rate from back then. Since symbol rate was set by Echostar and Bell's receivers are made by Echostar, this makes sense. Give it a try
You can actually use any Bell or Dish receiver set to TP 13 to find signal on IA5@97. Just make sure you have true linear LNB (10750 settings) as universal ku band lnb will not work for finding signal but it will work if you already have the dish pointed to IA5.

neat eh?
croat is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.