FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming.... - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-02-08, 01:43 PM   #61
scrooloose
Veteran

"To this end, the Commission clearly supports in principle the offering of a package of local conventional television signals at no monthly charge to the viewers, and is predisposed to take the necessary steps to permit this to occur. Further, as stated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-406, the Commission recognizes the merits of satellite delivery models as mechanisms for the provision of such packages."

Sounds more like a general YES to the offering Bell had made earlier. It doesn't sound specific to FreeHD.

-Mike
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-08, 02:11 PM   #62
julie_rose_

their something i do not understand when i read the new press released by the crtc because i have read it in both language. they said they approuved in some part. what is the other part that they haven't approuved yet?
julie_rose_ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 03:17 PM   #63
billhome

I would definitely take such a basic package, if my locals broadcast in HD (which they currently do not), if a PVR is available for no monthly charges, and the CRTC doesn't hit me with another tax to make it happen. I am willing to buy everything up-front. It is to Bell/Shaw/Roger's advantage to kiss ass so the local broadcasters never transition to HD.
billhome is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 05:50 PM   #64
PlayitSimple

Quote:
what is the other part that they haven't approuved yet?
What they did not make a decision on is the part about FreeHD offering a package of local channels free. The reason being is that they haven't ruled yet on the whole FFC/value for signal issue and that may have an impact on this issue. Also the CRTC hasn't ruled on the digital transition of OTA channels yet, no firm rules on whether every channel will be converted to digital or only those in major markets.

As for this FreeHD service, while I like the concept of a freeview service being available here like the one in the UK, I think this is not much different then Bell and Shaw at the end of the day. They say they will offer local channels for free and I quote:

Quote:
FreeHD Canada will offer
a free ‘Local Program Package’ of 15-20 Canadian television channels from within their region – in HD as they
become available – and free to any consumer with a FreeHD Canada receive system
Notice the part in bold, in order to access these free locals you have to
buy a dish and receiver from them which as has been posted above will reportedly cost around $300 bucks. Those who watch OTA TV are people who don't watch very much TV or can't afford the high cost of cable/satellite. Using this logic then, how many of those individuals will have the money to shell out to buy this equipment?!

Not sure if this will launch but I hope at the very least the effect of its approval by the CRTC will get Bell and Shaw to offer something similar with their service namely offering a package of locals free of charge.
PlayitSimple is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 06:01 PM   #65
Blackburst

I can't understand what the difference will be between them and Bell TV & Shaw Direct.

And why would you want to pay for their hardware anyway. You might as well go for Bell TV or Shaw Direct. Makes no sense. Even if they came onto the market, Bell TV and Shaw Direct would adjust their packages in order not to loose clients.

In the end everything will be HD anyway. If you get HD OTA you have no reason to purchase this service. If you have Bell TV / Shaw Direct, they will respond with new HD packages for you. What a waste of time and money.
Blackburst is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 07:19 PM   #66
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburst View Post
I can't understand what the difference will be between them and Bell TV & Shaw Direct.
The difference will be better HD picture quality.
peano is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 07:21 PM   #67
CrazyInSane

Whether I go for this will depend on how simsubbing will work/be implemented with FreeHD
CrazyInSane is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 07:58 PM   #68
billhome

"I can't understand what the difference will be between them and Bell TV & Shaw Direct."

The difference is that Bell & Shaw gives nothing away for free. Try calling them today and say you want to get your local channels for free, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of response you get.

It will also be good to get a BDU that is not part of the existing cartel system.
Old 2010-02-08, 08:04 PM   #69
scrooloose
Veteran

Despite the FREE in FreeHD, I suspect they'll be in the business to make money too, most everyone is. And who knows about picture quality. Do you think FreeHD has the money to uplink these few channels, or would they just leach off of an existing BDU?

-Mike
Old 2010-02-08, 08:09 PM   #70
billhome

"Despite the FREE in FreeHD, I suspect they'll be in the business to make money too, most everyone is."

A company can make money by giving consumers what they want, or in the case of a cartel system, they make money by sc***ing consumers. At least I hope FreeHD is in the former camp, because I know where Bell, etc. lies.
Old 2010-02-08, 08:45 PM   #71
Blackburst

If this whole thing goes through, I think you'll be shocked when you find out that just becuase they have the word "free" in their name, that doesn't mean free. You will have to pony up some money for it.

And I'm sure, the CRTC will require them to carry all those useless must carry speciality channels that they require the BDU's to do.

After all, they will still be offering a service. With a central processing area pumping out those signals. Just like the BDU's.

They even let it slip by proposing to offer a English and French package. Sorry but that is a service. Over the Air means you get what is over the air. No package. No package name. No package catagories. OTA in Montreal means access to English, French & Multiligual TV.
How does their proposal fit with such a market?
Blackburst is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 09:01 PM   #72
smootherator

The proposal is solid and I surely will buy the system to get the channels. A one time fee is way better than paying monthly for essentially OTA free channels.

If I pay 300 and I get my locals for a year in HD it is already worth it to me...everything after that is gravy.
Right now most HD receivers are between 100 and 500 dollars.

For people who live outside of major cities or far from the american border there is very little choice to be had and certainly nothing free.

Their plan is to offer only HD channels and none in SD.

I welcome competition..the more the merrier.
smootherator is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 09:59 PM   #73
merve04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburst View Post
In the end everything will be HD anyway. If you get HD OTA you have no reason to purchase this service. If you have Bell TV / Shaw Direct, they will respond with new HD packages for you. What a waste of time and money.
In order for those two companies to add more HD channels, they need a motive. FreeHD would be one, they would make necessary ajustments not to lose customers. Until then, why would you see them doing much if anything without competition??
merve04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 11:40 PM   #74
Reed Solomon

another positive use would be for people who go to their cabin or whatnot. don't really need more than basic channels at the cabin (which you aren't going to get OTA in any meaningful way, usually)

I'd pay $300 for it. Maybe they can throw in the environment canada channel
Reed Solomon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-08, 11:57 PM   #75
vjose78

You'll be lucky to the Weather Network on FreeHD if it really is only HD channels. Only problem is there are only so many HD specialty channels currently available.

Reed - Your in West K? Small world me too!
vjose78 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.