FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming.... - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-10-03, 02:18 PM   #241
Pinza
Veteran

And it is only a little......lol
Pinza is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-06, 10:45 AM   #242
katburglars
Rookie

been watching this with hawk eyes since inception and with their name change and sly marketing ploys ie; customer survey on their website?

something was fishy about this whole set-up...FREE was NEVER in the works this guy knows the ins and outs of the sat industry and NO one can convince me he didnt know what was going to happen YEARS ahead..

this was nothing more than jumping in and compete witrh all other stas to MAKE money without ever offering any FREE HD line-up...like so many said no economic sense...

right now their website is down..will be interesting to see their prices since they suggested in their survey they would be much less than competitors - pffft

all this made sense at the time of their application and looked even more promising once approved BUT once they changed their name to Blusky? the jig was up, in MY mind...

i emailed them and said "good luck with "that" and shove your survey...i hate the others (shaw, bell) but hate this one even more and their not even up yet...ill stick with FTA i said to them haha
katburglars is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-06, 09:48 PM   #243
katburglars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethorn View Post
BluSky has just updated their website again. A little more info on their equipement and services.
re: post 240

where is their new info ? its all same babble but long winded - and doubt the equipment & pricing will show up on their site until at least early to mid 2012...ill wager it wont be cheap despite their claims...its all HYPE...i hope they pay for their lies

their initial application and approval was based on FREE locals (they stated 12-18 channels) depending on the region...what a crock if what i read in earlier post that they now abandonned their original plan and another post suggesting they should have to reapply now that none of this (locals) will be free? is BANG on...

the BDU's fought long and hard against this company during crtc hearings...imagine how they must feel NOW? knowing these guys are starting off on the wrong foot...i am very disappointed and was very much looking forward to the locals and THEN see if they would be worth jumping in with specialty packages...

the "digital switch" had NOTHING to do with this decision to scrap the FREE locals (if this is true) and i suspect this was all a ploy to simply get approved...so hey DAVE guess what you better secure your system cuz wanting to hack it now will be even more a project to screw you right back...expect an email from me on this, as well...we FTAers are sick and tired of liars like you
Old 2011-10-07, 08:29 AM   #244
admin

Digital Home has a zero tolerance for piracy. If you are advocating and encouraging users to engage in theft then your posts and account will be removed.
admin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-13, 04:08 PM   #245
katburglars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Digital Home has a zero tolerance for piracy. If you are advocating and encouraging users to engage in theft then your posts and account will be removed.
very sorry but mostly just venting and got carried away...i just hate cable/sat companies who continually lie and mislead...i was simply furious about the suggestion that there wont be FREEHD line up for locals as they originally came into this market with..and THAT is outright lying to the consumer IF its true.

I have so looked forward to another option especially after the digital switch and refuse to pay the outrageous prices these companies charge for the "specialty" packages

thats it, end of rant..i do enjoy the read on other matters, on this board, however

and im an FTA er NOT a thief just to set the record straight
Old 2011-10-15, 04:55 PM   #246
quickcurrent

I have just read this thread with interest.

It seems that many folks here are jumping to conclusions as to what may or may not happen with this upstart sat company. It's best if we simply wait and see what develops.

In the event that it turns out that the founder's intentions were always to lie/mislead its potential customers, then he'll have some problems making a go of this service. But, whether or not basic local service is offered at no monthly cost, the company will have to rely on income to survive especially in this competitive field.

I think the psychology behind the no charge channels is that if they offer a high quality receiver capable of 1080p and can transmit signals in that native resolution (!!!), the receiver will command a high price, and if customers are willing to pay that high price for a receiver, then many of them will likely want some additional channels for a monthly fee. Heck, if the service is exceptionally good, they may even steal many customers away from the current sat and cable providers, none of which offer native 1080p resolution.

Although not many (if any) viewers will be able to detect the difference between the various HD resolutions, psychologically everyone loves the idea of getting 1080p. I have a 1080p 60" LG screen and see no difference between an upscaled DVD and native 1080p resolution. I suppose it may be possible to notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p on two large screens side by side or on a larger screen like a 72", or on a large screen mated up with a device that has a poor quality upscaling algorithm, but not many folks would have any of these situations!

quickcurrent
quickcurrent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-15, 06:04 PM   #247
HDTV Junkee

imo, it is really advertising that will make them money. I think that they need to form a partnership with someone (example: Netflix or someone like that).

As I have posted a couple of times before, I did not think that these guys would ever get off the ground in the way that they were originaly targeting. So far, I have been proven right.

Also, as someone else has stated I think the CRTC will be having another look at their business plan and model into 2012 (for license purposes).

After speaking to the CRTC at length, both Dish Network and Direct TV have been welcomed into the Cdn market, but have chosen not to play.

I suspct the previous poster is somewhat correct in assessing the onerous restrictions that must be complied with before gaining entrance. I also think that the Cdn market in its present form is simply much too small. But, I also think that with changes at the CRTC next year, Canada will be even more open to foreign entrants.

I think that the CRTC was hoping that one of the two American companies would simply purchase an existing Cdn participant and then develop their business that way.

However, given the recent restructuring of the Cdn market (Shaw, Rogers - Cogeco), I really do not see that happening anytime soon.

And, over the medium I think that Bluesky will have a tough time making any in-roads. I wish them luck though.
HDTV Junkee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-26, 06:00 PM   #248
hugh
Member #1

Lots of confusing posts at the Blusky website removed. To be clear. The bluskyhdtv.ca URL is not functional. The site can still be seen at http://freehdcanada.com/
Old 2011-10-26, 07:09 PM   #249
hugh
Member #1

More posts removed. Please I have provided a link where you can visit the site.

If it continues to cause a problem, then please contact the company but lets not destroy this thread with back and forth over who and who can't reach the site.
Old 2011-11-11, 06:20 AM   #250
jscrimshaw

Looks like the site is back up with a new look (sort of) with a quote stating a summer 2012 launch
jscrimshaw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-11, 02:39 PM   #251
quickcurrent

It looks like the skies have turned into a vacuum for BluSky HDTV. Don't expect to tune in to any BluSky channels any time soon, LOL.
quickcurrent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-11, 02:52 PM   #252
Ken H

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcurrent View Post
It seems that many folks here are jumping to conclusions as to what may or may not happen with this upstart sat company. It's best if we simply wait and see what develops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcurrent View Post
It looks like the skies have turned into a vacuum for BluSky HDTV. Don't expect to tune in to any BluSky channels any time soon, LOL.
Well, which is it?
Ken H is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-11, 03:17 PM   #253
Lindsay649

Not jumping to any conclusion but common sense seems to indicate that this bird will not be flying.
Lindsay649 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-11, 08:13 PM   #254
CanaDawg

Well the haters sure like to come out early don't they? Thought for a minute i was in the RIM forum...

None of us is out of pocket yet and we will all be clear on what the offer is by the time we make a choice. Here is a novel idea: How about we just wait and see?
CanaDawg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-11, 08:35 PM   #255
ScaryBob
Veteran

I am not a hater but, personally, don't see BluSky getting anywhere. The initial offering, free HD, would have made an impact but it was easily neutralized by Shaw, as expected. It just doesn't make sense. The US market could not support a third HD satellite provider so how can Canada be expected to? Neither Shaw Direct or Bell TV make a profit on their consumer operations. (SD makes a profit after commercial revenues are added in.) BluSky will be negotiating with their direct competition for content. That's not an enviable situation. I would love to see BluSky be successful but I don't see a good business plan here. Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve but the track record so far does not indicate that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.