FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming.... - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-06-06, 10:11 AM   #226
classicsat
Veteran

It is not that they may, it is that they can.

Of course, they need to pay for that guide data itself, on a per user/household basis. They won't give that away for free if they can help it.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-06-06, 05:43 PM   #227
Fry1989

They way I see it, they're counting on one thing. If they give you your locals and networks for free, and you don't have to 30-40 dollars for basic, then that's more money you'll have available to spend on their specialty channel packages. It would make sense to include an electronic guide for that.
Fry1989 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-06-21, 09:51 PM   #228
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

At today's CRTC vertical integration hearing FREE HD expressed their point of view. Von Finckenstein of the CRTC asked in return when they were going to launch FREE HD as it was licensed over a year ago. CEO David Lewis said he was looking at a spring 2012 launch for FREE HD now.
Old 2011-08-30, 01:45 PM   #229
PokerFace

Question Blu skies from now on?

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/n...ns/1000547995/

Quote:
FreeHD Canada, a new Canadian television venture, is now BluSky HDTV.

But since receiving a DTH license in 2010, the company has had to reschedule its launch date to the first quarter of 2012.

FreeHD Canada had planned to be ready in time for the country's digital over the air transmission transition occurring this month, but it was apparently unable to find sufficient satellite capacity for its HD programming.

In 2010, The Commission approved in part Free HD's applications for broadcasting licences to operate a national direct-to-home (DTH) satellite distribution undertaking and a national satellite relay distribution undertaking (SRDU).

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has now approved an application by FreeHD to operate a national video-on-demand service.

Nevertheless, plans remain for a national satellite service, as originally conceived by David Lewis, a long-time industry veteran and telecom executive. FreeHD is controlled by Lewis, who holds 91% of the voting interest, with the remainder held by Krista Lewis.

"We are very optimistic we can secure enough satellite capacity to allow us to provide consumers and programmers in Canada with the most HD channels" said Lewis, Chairman and CEO of FreeHD Canada. "We know that Canadians are excited about our service, and the wait will definitely be worth it."

The applicant indicated that the new VOD service would offer, in high definition, the top blockbuster movies, film festival nominations and winning documentaries, and local programming of national interest, as well as some programs in 3-D.

FreeHD confirmed that it would make its VOD program offering available to customers in both official languages. While the programming would be predominantly in the English language, the applicant made a commitment to offer approximately 25% of all programming in French.

The licence will take effect September 1, 2011 and will expire August 31, 2018, and will be subject to the standard conditions.

Lewis described his original concept for FreeHD in correspondence with Mediacaster Magazine, noting at the time that "[c]ustomers that wish to receive FreeHD Canada programming would have to purchase a 'receive system' (that consists of an outdoor satellite dish of similar size of Bell TV or Shaw Direct, and an HD set-top box) on-line or from a local retailer."

FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) will offer a PVR-capable set-top, he added, compatible with its 1080p video quality and lower compression rate video delivery.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-532.htm
[Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-532: Video-on-demand service]
PokerFace is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-30, 09:13 PM   #230
robman50

Question

What is this? Is it like FTA or is it a paid service?
robman50 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-30, 09:48 PM   #231
dirtroad

Default Both

It will be Free HD Locals, and Paid special interest stations and PPV. Which is what Bell and Shaw have said they would also offer, but it will probably not happen until BlueSky is up and running.

You will (probably) have to get your receiver authorized to receive your locals, but no cost, so not really FTA as it will be encrypted.

Last edited by dirtroad; 2011-08-30 at 09:53 PM. Reason: encypted FTA
dirtroad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-09-15, 12:59 AM   #232
jscrimshaw

Default Blusky HDTV to use foreign satellite capacity

Here is a news article I read that came out on the 8th about Blusky HDTV
Really interesting

Read Here
jscrimshaw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-09-15, 03:05 AM   #233
artthe1

Well of course. The US took all the sat capacity to provide DTH service to over 200 TV markets. There's no room for non US sat capacity.
artthe1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-09-15, 11:30 AM   #234
ScaryBob
Veteran

Bell practically gave away all the Nimiq 5 capacity (not Telesat as stated in the article.) Telesat sold capacity on another satellite to DirecTV. IMHO, the CRTC should have told Bell to either use N5 or hand it back for Blusky to use.

That will slow adoption. In addition, Bell and Shaw will have MPEG4 and/or extra capacity in place at about the same time. Blusky is over a year late to market with their plans and will likely fail as a result.
Old 2011-09-15, 05:32 PM   #235
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Well the same could be said about Ceil? Ceil is a Canadian sat company which gave their TRS space to dish, The same thing can be said about them.
MCIBUS is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-09-16, 01:01 AM   #236
ScaryBob
Veteran

From the recent news article:
Quote:
FreeHD will not provide free, high-definition programming that Lewis had originally intended to provide to Canadian communities expected to lose over-the-air television signals as a result of the transition to digital television broadcasting.
No free HD locals from BluSky as originally announced. That is already available from Shaw Direct.
Old 2011-09-16, 02:14 AM   #237
Jase88

I figured their business plan would change (i.e. offering free locals in HD) once their named changed.
Old 2011-09-16, 01:56 PM   #238
dirtroad

Default Time for BLUSKY to re-apply to CRTC

The fact that the buisness plan has now changed for FREEHD, now BLUSKY, they should have to re-apply for the licence.
They should just set up a deal with BELL TV or SHAW DIRECT like what Telus and Bell have already done, otherwise what difference are they going to bring to the table.
dirtroad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-09-16, 02:38 PM   #239
Dr.Dave

The CRTC denied FreeHD a licence based on their original business plan, so they already re-applied and were granted a conventional BDU licence. The terms that the CRTC set for free TV (for all BDUs) were so restrictive that it doesn't make economic sense (if it ever did ).

There were advantages for Telus to do a short-term deal with Bell. There aren't any for BluSky.
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-03, 01:02 PM   #240
brucethorn
Rookie

Smile Coming To Canada in Summer 2012...

BluSky has just updated their website again. A little more info on their equipement and services.
brucethorn is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.