FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming.... - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-08-12, 02:22 AM   #151
jokeDR

My hope for this thing actually happening is fading...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-09-27, 01:04 PM   #152
vcrite

It appears Free HD Canada may be known as "Blusky"

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-715.htm#1
1. Across Canada
Application No. 2010-0954-8

Application by FreeHD Canada Inc. for a broadcasting licence to operate a national direct-to-home pay-per-view programming undertaking to be known as Blusky PPV.

The applicant proposes to deliver live programming such as sports and concerts, feature films, general interest programming and some programs in 3D. The applicant proposes to draw programming exclusively from the following categories set out in Item 6 of Schedule 1 to the Pay Television Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time: 2(b), 3, 6(a), 6(b), 7(c), 7(d), 7(e) and 8(a).

The applicant also indicates that the programming would be predominantly in the English language but that the service would also provide some content in the French-language.

Applicant’s address:

8000 Bathurst Street, Unit 1
P.O. Box 30075
Thornhill, Ontario
L4J 0B8
Fax: 613-747-8709
E-mail: lrankin@freehdcanada.ca

Examination of application:

1700 Langstaff Road, Suite 2002
Vaughan, Ontario
Old 2010-09-27, 02:26 PM   #153
brucethorn
Rookie

Angry FreeHD or What?

Am i missing something here or isn't direct-to-home pay-per-view programming kind of a flip from FREE HD programming the whole idea was based on along with the last two CRTC rulings?
Hope this is addition too and not replacing the FREEHD concept.
Old 2010-09-27, 03:09 PM   #154
InMontreal

Quote:
Am i missing something here or isn't direct-to-home pay-per-view programming kind of a flip from FREE HD programming the whole idea was based on along with the last two CRTC rulings?
Hope this is addition too and not replacing the FREEHD concept.
FreeHD is planning to launch their own satellite, which costs many millions. But using whose millionaire's money? How will they get back on their huge investment?

Their primary offer will be to deliver all local OTA stations in your area for free, at the condition that you pay for the equipment and the installation. But as a FreeHD customer, if you're interested in watching a movie, what will you do? Subscribe to Shaw/Rogers for 1 month? Offering their own PPV service is a solution to get money.

I could be wrong, but I've read somewhere that FreeHD will also offer specialty packages as well, so for a customer it will feel like subscribing to satellite without the heavy basic service charges. Hey, paying nothing for CBC, CTV and Global and paying just for music package and Movie Network in HD, I'm a taker! Cheaper than BellTV.
Old 2010-09-27, 04:47 PM   #155
Dr.Dave

FreeHD always had an "All Access" package for the specialties in addition to the free locals-only service. The PPV service was also part of the plan.

I deduced their new domain name www.bluskytv.ca. It is a clone of their freehdcanada.ca site.
Old 2010-09-27, 07:26 PM   #156
Fry1989

Sounds kinda like an augmented version of the Freeview platform from the UK. Freeview gives people a set of FTA channels in the UK(of which there is a huge selection), and the only fee they pay is a one-time fee for the equipment and the annual television license that everyone pays in the UK anyways. Since there are practically no Canadian FTA channels, sounds like BluSky is replicatiing that with Canadian OTA channels, and suplimenting it with a pay service for the speciality channels.
Old 2010-09-27, 07:33 PM   #157
scrooloose
Veteran

Sounds like FreeHD was too misleading, so they've changed their name. I'm all for competition, but can Canada really support three television Satellite providers?? The US couldn't, so why would it work here?

-Mike
Old 2010-09-27, 07:55 PM   #158
Fry1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
Sounds like FreeHD was too misleading, so they've changed their name. -Mike
Likely, but who knows. I'll say this much, if they are for real, and give us our basic channels for free, that'd be a good argument for some to switch from SD and Bell, giving a savings of around 40 dollars median.
Old 2010-09-27, 09:06 PM   #159
scrooloose
Veteran

Ya, but Bell will just make exactly the same offer, when the time comes.

-Mike
Old 2010-09-27, 09:28 PM   #160
frontpl8

I already switched from bell to an antenna, and paid nothing, as I already had the antenna. If I want a movie to see i'll just download it for free. I can maybe see this as a viable option if a person could not get any free HD OTA, but most major cities will have that option available.
Old 2010-09-27, 09:49 PM   #161
Fry1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
Ya, but Bell will just make exactly the same offer, when the time comes.

-Mike
Will they?????
Old 2010-09-27, 09:50 PM   #162
hdtvi

I'm glad to see some kind of annoucement regarding this service.
Still a long way to go before this actually happens but I would look for more information in the spring. Their original plan was to launch in Spring 2011 timeframe.

Perhaps we will see information regarding hardware and local channel offerings, pricing of additional packages by April.
Old 2010-09-27, 09:59 PM   #163
PlayitSimple

According to documents FreeHD Canada submitted to the CRTC for the recent hearing they had on DTH distribution policy (OTA stations), they are looking to launch in the middle of 2011.

Quote:
Our FreeHD Canada launch plans for mid-next year are on track.
Also, they do plan on offering more then just locals, the only difference is their focus appears to be on HD services only unless a channel doesn't currently broadcast in HD. Of course that means most English specialties will be SD since very few have bothered to launch HD feeds. For OTA stations, they will be using spot beam technology which allows them to offer subscribers their local channels in their area instead of every single OTA station from across Canada like Bell currently has in their basic package. One thing I like is the fact they will only offer 1 feed of each channel (either SD or HD, depending on what's available), no duplicates.

Not sure how successful this will be especially considering the high cost for the equipment. Here is a link to the documents:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/public/broad/a...0/2010-488.zip
Old 2010-09-27, 10:22 PM   #164
Fry1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post
they will only offer 1 feed of each channel (either SD or HD, depending on what's available), no duplicates
Per time zone, ofcourse Unless they decide not to provide time-shift services.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:35 PM   #165
hdtvi

The one feed of each channel refers more to a particular station/market, ie CTV Toronto, not the network.
e.g. they might offer CTV Toronto in HD in the Toronto market, and CTV Thunder Bay in SD if that was available for people living near that market. When or if CTV Thunder Bay became available in HD they would likely offer it in HD and discontinue the SD feed.