FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming.... - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-05-16, 04:19 AM   #136
tofinoguy

It would be interesting to see if VFS derails the plans for FreeHD. I doubt that this service will ever get off the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-16, 08:30 AM   #137
QCK

I'm still at a loss for where they would get their transponder space from by next year.
Old 2010-05-16, 12:58 PM   #138
PlayitSimple

Quote:
But is that going to be enough consumers, to make any money. I suspect that many of these people all ready have a satellite, Bell, Shaw Direct, so they are probably already paying for service. It might be easier if these companies gave these people the option to get their locals for free, and only charge them for any extra channels they want
I would be wholeheartedly in favour of such a proposal since there are only a few specialty channels that interest me. However, do you honestly think Bell and Shaw would offer such a thing- give away the locals for free when right now they are charging $30-40 for the package that includes the locals- no way! They only do things that make them money, how would giving away the locals for free increase their profits (which is all they care about)?!
Old 2010-05-16, 02:19 PM   #139
frontpl8

Well they would probably have to do something, if they want to compete with these guys.These two companies while they like making money, also don't like losing customers either. Just try to cancel you're service with them, they always try to get you to stay by offereing some kind of a deal.
Old 2010-05-16, 05:53 PM   #140
mr weather
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
I'm still at a loss for where they would get their transponder space from by next year.
Galaxy 18 seems to have a lot of space now that all the Equity Broadcasting channels are gone.
Old 2010-05-16, 07:41 PM   #141
HDTV101
Veteran

Looks like someone is trying to do the same in the USA. Most likely we'll see them come to life before FreeHD Canada ever does... so it's something to keep an eye on too!

Mission Statement:
There are estimated over 20 million free to air satellite receivers located in homes throughout the U.S. and Canada. Our intention is to take advantage of this massive viewer network lying dormant waiting for the product we are about to make available to them. The digital encryption method will run in the clear for all channels containing commercials. Receiver requirements are a digital satellite receiver. A card slot will be required to receive PPV broadcasts.

With factory software the following receivers should work.
Ariza, AZBox, Captive Works, Conaxsat, Coolsat, Drake, Dreambox, Fortec, GEOSat Pro, Icon, I-Link, K-Box, Neosat, NFusion, Pansat or clone, Silverbullet, Sonicview, Sonysat, Viewsat, XTC or any FCC approved FTA receiver.

Transmission foot print: North America, including Canada, United States and Mexico.
Transmission will begin with 18 to 20 digital channels in the clear, PPV sports, comedy, and other events will be announced (cards will be required for PPV) available from your local satellite dealer.

This organization is dedicated to the Free to Air Community. We appreciate all your support.

freedbs dot org
Old 2010-05-17, 07:24 AM   #142
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
Galaxy 18 seems to have a lot of space now that all the Equity Broadcasting channels are gone.
123W is going to be a tough to setup in the Atlantic provinces especially in NFLD. I'm sure they do not want duplicate satellites so this option makes no resonable sense.

In the US 129W is a not reasonable bird to use in Maine.
Old 2010-05-18, 09:20 AM   #143
classicsat
Veteran

Free DBS is something somewhat different. Free DBS is intending to "broadcast" a number of national general interest specialty channels, some which they are apparently operating themselves, to receive with a standard Ku dish and FTA receiver (at least for now). They may in the future offer some pay programming, using a CA system of some sort.

FreeHD Canada is primarily intended to distribute local stations in lieu of or as well as stations setting up digital transmitters. They will use conditional access and new receiver technology from the beginning, although locals are to be free, and may offer some pay channels as well.
Old 2010-05-18, 09:38 AM   #144
QCK

On their site is says 15-20 HD locals to start with and up to 150 HD Canadian pay and specialty channels as they launch.
Old 2010-06-27, 05:25 PM   #145
rizzo

Has anyone heard anything new about them? Their website hasn't changed much just says service will start in 2011.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:08 PM   #146
brucethorn
Rookie

Talking FreeHD .... Where are they?

We reside in Thornhill. We happened to be in the plaza at 8000 Bathurst St.
There is a large Shoppers Drug Mart, Video Rental Store, Bagel Shop etc. but
no unit numbers or office space of any kind that I could find. Maybe he is hanging out at the back of the video store but if he is he is very well hidden.

FreeHD Canada Inc.
8000 Bathurst St., Unit 1 P.O. Box 30075 Thornhill, ON L4J OB8
Old 2010-06-28, 08:20 AM   #147
peano
Veteran

PO Box in SDM.
Old 2010-06-28, 02:42 PM   #148
brucethorn
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Guess I was just letting the HD Dream getting a little ahead of it's self.
Old 2010-06-28, 09:11 PM   #149
Tim Cake

Thumbs down Use of PO BOX

The use of a PO Box looks a little fishy...
Old 2010-07-26, 07:59 PM   #150
brucethorn
Rookie

Default Updated (somewhat) FreeHD Website

I know it's not much news but a couple of small updates are posted on the
" In the Media section" of the FreeHD website. No news really to regular viewers here but at least better times seem to be coming. Soon to be EX Rogers customer in January 2011 and have been looking at Shaw OVP and
FreeHD along with TekSavvy for the cable internet of course.