Shaw Direct Complaint and Rant Thread - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-09-04, 07:19 PM   #151
Moose57

Default Good Job! Give them a reality Check.

I'm walking as well and I only have 2 HD OTA channels to go to, but I'm covered 99% with that and the balance from the internet.

With most of the internet providers also having a TV divisions, somehow, we'll all get it in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-09-19, 10:04 PM   #152
i am canadian
Rookie

Angry

on saturday--18th-- i was /more likely to watch something else on tv instead on SPEED on 406 picture was so awful that it was like filmed with a junk camera. no i don't have SPEED in HD. but everytime i had to press the guide as you know the picture gets small and it was clear like hd!! maybe it was so compressed? i don't know. i tested it and it was the same for all the sd channels picture was real good when the guide was on.. but when watching it regulary it was tasteless.. only at 406 picture was real bad to look at. all ordinary channels are respectable in HD they are splendid. that was my complaint . when hockey season will start i will subscribe to the HD sports i will watch speed -274-all winter long until hockey ends tsn+tsn2 HD.
Old 2010-10-03, 07:18 PM   #153
HiDefBob

While watching the Lions/Bombers last evening on TSN HD I experienced several picture and sound dropouts lasting anywhere from a couple of seconds to about 10 seconds. Nearly all occurred in the first half. I also have noticed that happening occasionally on other CFL games and Blue Jay games on Sportsnet HD Ontario & One. These occurences only seem to be happening on live broadcasts, not on the normal HD programming. Any one else experiencing these dropouts?
Old 2010-10-03, 08:05 PM   #154
killarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob View Post
While watching the Lions/Bombers last evening on TSN HD I experienced several picture and sound dropouts lasting anywhere from a couple of seconds to about 10 seconds. Nearly all occurred in the first half. I also have noticed that happening occasionally on other CFL games and Blue Jay games on Sportsnet HD Ontario & One. These occurences only seem to be happening on live broadcasts, not on the normal HD programming. Any one else experiencing these dropouts?
I notice the same on 267 during the ball games.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:27 AM   #155
d_source

I noticed that yesterday during the hockey game as well and it happens everytime on a US station where the programming has been simsubbed by Global.
Old 2010-10-04, 01:10 PM   #156
bongoxx

Watching the Houston vs, Oakland Game yesterday on NFLST on channel 435 (I Beleive).

With about 6 minutes left in the game it went to commercials, then all the sudden I'm watching the Chicago Blackhawks preseason game. Keep in mind the football game was on CBS and the Blackhawks game was on WGN....

Call SD to talk to someone - "We don not control what the individual networks put on thier networks and when they may cut to another program."
Okay, I get that, but please don't tell me CBS switched to cover a hockey game on WGN.
"Let me look into that sitr"
While on hold, the channel changes again from Blawkhacks game to the Chargers/Cardinals game (broadcast by Fox), then back to the Blackhawks game. Then once again from the Blackhawks game to the Houston/Oakland game.
He came back after me holding for about 7 minutes and apologized but had no idea why it would have been doing that.

Someone was active at the switch yesterday
Old 2010-10-04, 02:00 PM   #157

It's SBS that does the switching - Not Shaw Direct. No point in calling Shaw Direct - call SBS in Mississauga
Old 2010-10-12, 10:59 PM   #158
Louis819

Default Bell TV is the best!

I've move in a brand new house recently. When I call Bell for moving my phone, they offered me a very good deal to subscribe to Bell TV. I accepted! I was a Starchoice subscriber since 2003.

My God what a good move. Bell TV is way over shaw Direct in every aspect. Mostly in hd channels availability and PVR performance.

Do it if you can!!!
Old 2010-10-13, 04:00 AM   #159
a1canuck

Quote:
Bell TV is way over shaw Direct in every aspect
please let us know how you like it after the next rainstorm.... or if you ever need a service call on your dish.
Old 2010-10-13, 06:06 AM   #160
QualityIsJobOne

Smile

LOL...You will also enjoy Bell's sim-subs!
Old 2010-10-13, 02:21 PM   #161
starchoice
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1canuck View Post
please let us know how you like it after the next rainstorm.... or if you ever need a service call on your dish.
...or a billing problem.
Old 2010-10-13, 06:41 PM   #162
peano
Veteran

.....or if you have a good HD display and appreciate better PQ and less compression.
Old 2010-11-02, 10:16 PM   #163
jseigel
Rookie

Default rebooting every day

In 2 days either channels disappeared completely or could not be seen unless I did a physical reboot. Then the programming showed my programs but no available dates. If you change channels too quickly the unit reboots. Just turning it on today I changed one channel and the unit rebooted.
Getting ready to give this unit the boot, and maybe rebuy when the firmware is updated to .14 or evem .15. My tuners vary showing S and N/A inconsistantly, but with good signal strength. No line is split.
Called customer service many times, have done physical reboots (wiping out recording, of course), rearranged the co-ax line feeds. Customers service suggested maybe I should turn off my internet from Rogers for a few days, and I suggested I could live without Shaw first as I use it for my business. My house is 'smart-wired' and there will be no further wiring. Before I was using the 505 and a dvd recorder, and was much more reliable, even if more work and less quality pic.
probably will ask Shaw to reverse the PVR credit and wait a year for the bugs to work out. I get constant calls from Rogers with free PVR for a couple of years, and having had the 505 from the start with all its initial bugs leads one to wonder. However, I am told Rogers has their own issues, so may just go back to simple and no pvr.
Sorry I am rambling, just tired from long work weeks and frustration at not being able to enjoy what I paid for.
Old 2010-11-03, 09:27 AM   #164
Sirius Guy

possible bad port on the lnb, since you are now using 2 coax lines for dvr it would not show up on the 505. I have seen it happen, swap ports on lnb or get shaw to do a service call and replace the lnb
Old 2010-11-03, 02:24 PM   #165
jseigel
Rookie

what is lnb??

Tags
complaint, rant, shaw direct