Rogers Internet Usage Monitor - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2009-08-10, 11:44 PM   #1
bsheep
Rookie

Default Rogers Internet Usage Monitor

I escalated my concerns with regards to Rogers service 2 months ago and I am now corresponding directly with a Customer Relations VP with copies to the CRTC.

I hope to use this forum to post some of those issues with a hope to stirring some change for the better in digital communications in Canada. My individual concerns will become apparent as I react to frequent issues.

This morning I received the "you have hit your 100%" notification. With timely warning, I can control 95%+ of traffic over our line. Checking the Rogers website, I discovered I hit the limit 2 days ago and I am now 8Gb over my 60Gb cap! The nickel and diming continues. This 48h lag in information was shared with the CR VP last month with no satisfaction ensuing. I forwarded the following eMail to her a few minutes ago:

Here we go again.
I was notified of hitting 100% on my Internet usage this morning at 0928.
I promptly shut down all active ports that could be transferring data without sufficient control.
Your metering can verify this.
Checking your internet usage site - I find I hit the limit 2 days prior and was NOT notified.
WHY am I hit for charges that I can control if I am notified fairly?

Those having similar difficulties are encouraged to share. Perhaps a specific forum for this issue is warranted if there is enough interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-08-11, 06:28 AM   #2
apn

Thanks for sharing your experience, bsheep, and for aggressively following up.

I hadn't pinned the actual lag time, but I'm seeing the same issue w/ the Rogers counter not updating in real-time. I'd surmised that the web-page was refreshed around 9 EST on business days, after a query to the database or something.

Since our younger family members have discovered youtube and torrents, I'm having to actively manage my connection every month to avoid the $$$ overage charges, but as you said, they don't give you the tools to do so.

I was thinking about going all-out (downloading a few TeraBytes) one month and just eating the $25 overage, but I'm more interested in changing ISPs if I can find a suitable alternative (e.g. TSi) that serves my area well.
Old 2009-08-11, 09:19 AM   #3
Stefer

It is becoming hard not to hit the limit, seriously. I was planning to get back to Aliant, but with three failed tries last night on their website to order the service, plus it would cost me more than with Rogers for phone, internet and long distance, grrrr.
Thing is they don't have caps but being now owned by Bell, how soon will they implement caps too?

EDIT : by the way, i noticed that the bandwidth usage on their page is only updated for me at noon atlantic time, unless i had a LOT of usage the day before. If i had a lot of usage the day before, it gets updater later than noon. Odd no?

Last edited by 57; 2009-08-11 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Language edit.
Old 2009-08-11, 10:11 AM   #4
boink

I agree that there should be no delay in cap notifications, that should be looked @, but at the same time, why restrict your usage? If you're constantly coming close to, or from what you've said, breaching it every month, why not go up to the next level? sounds like it would suit you better.
Old 2009-08-11, 12:24 PM   #5

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
as you said, they don't give you the tools to do so.
To the OP and apn:

1. There is a day to day usage monitor that you can pull up on your account. This is usually only one day behind, but based on that day to day usage you should be able to see how much you've used, as well as project when you're likely to pass the cap. This would be especially easy when you're using 3-4 Gig (or more) a day.

2. There is an option with Rogers for a notification at 75% of cap, as well as at 100%.

3. There are other software choices that allow monitoring usage, as discussed in the following (Sympatico) thread (where the usage information shown by the provider seems to be much worse).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=110582

You cannot blame Rogers for your usage with all of these tools available.

The other option would be to not worry at all and pay the Max $25/mo extra for all the usage you want.
Old 2009-08-11, 01:54 PM   #6
metalhawk

I just tried accessing the internet usage page on Rogers' web site, and it's "down for scheduled maintenance". Who the hell does maintenance at 2pm in the middle of the week? Unbelievable.
Old 2009-08-11, 02:04 PM   #7

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

There's a storm rolling through the GTA right now. I was able to access everything earlier today, but once in a while there are issues with the site. I usually try to login during off-peak times. I got the following message for Home Phone right now:

Quote:
We are currently experiencing problems. Please try again later.
I suspect that they're not doing maintenance, that's just the message that came up when access was unavailable.

Edit - at 2:13PM EDT the usage monitor was back up for me.
Old 2009-08-11, 02:34 PM   #8
apn

Quote:
You cannot blame Rogers for your usage with all of these tools available.
I'm not blaming robbers for MY usage, but if they are going to impose ridiculous bandwidth caps and even more ridiculous overage surcharges, then in the interests of CSAT, I think it's incumbent on robbers (not me) to provide real-time tools.

If you hadn't noticed, we're actually discussing the account-based bandwidth monitor. I'm also fully aware of the 75% and 100% notices, but I've recently seen them no less than a day apart.

I've also logged into my account after 9am EST on the morning my billing cycle (7th of the month) and sighed with relief to see my usage <60GB, only to repeat the exercise the next day and find something >60GB and surcharges applied. What good is that?

I'm quite satisfied with the quality of robbers as an ISP, but at their premium rates, their bandwidth-capping practices leave a lot to be desired. TSI will get my business in a heartbeat once I've confirmed the line-stats for my area and if there are no UBB implications from the recent reviews.
Old 2009-08-11, 03:13 PM   #9

Although it might be nice (for you) to have real-time monitoring, most of us don't need it and since it likely costs money, we'd prefer to not pay that additional cost since the current options probably cover all but a select few people.

Perhaps you'd like to suggest real-time monitoring paid for by the people who require it.
Old 2009-08-11, 05:01 PM   #10
Stefer

The tool works about 3/5 of the time for me. (Accessing it i mean)

Because of Murphy's law, it happens often near the end of my billing cycle, yay.

That's why i got a Linksys WRT54GL and got the tomato firmware on. At least i dont have to log on the Rogers website to check my usage, i just leave that page of my router open in a tab in firefox and just refresh it. Works great, although it calculates more usage than Rogers, go figure.
Old 2009-08-11, 05:15 PM   #11
apn

Quote:
Perhaps you'd like to suggest real-time monitoring paid for by the people who require it
OMG.

No!, It would be better for everyone if Robbers abolished its draconian cap or at least raised it to something befitting the $50/mo service fee (incl. modem).

I recall reading about Comcast applying the same draconian policy last year ($15 per 10GB over), however, their proposed monthly cap was 250GB, not a ridiculous 60GB.
Old 2009-08-12, 08:57 AM   #12

A couple of posts with personal attacks have been removed. Please let's be civil.
Old 2009-08-12, 12:38 PM   #13
JugglingReferee

A meter that doesn't show accurate data just makes me LOL. What another joke of service from Rogers.
Old 2009-08-15, 07:10 PM   #14
Stefer

Quote:
I recall reading about Comcast applying the same draconian policy last year ($15 per 10GB over), however, their proposed monthly cap was 250GB, not a ridiculous 60GB.
Exactly what Rogers and other ISPs going the cap way should realize: 60 GB and 95 GB is ridiculous for those tiers. 100 GB to 200 GB would start to be honest.

Who came up with 95GB anyway? Why not 100?

Let's have a Ferrari, you can drive it up to 250KM/HR, but you better not do more than 5KMs a month. How fun is that????
Old 2009-08-16, 08:13 AM   #15
snocow
Rookie

Hi OP;
I had the same issue in July with Robbers....I received the "online nitification" that I had reached 100% percentage of usage allowance (60 GB) on 21 July which was 5 days after I had actually hit the limit.

I put the pedal to the floor and used 114 GB for July...raised a ticket with Robbers and did not have an overage charge on my bill.