Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2011-08-11, 12:50 PM   #76
Michael DeAbreu

When things get that messed up, I usually start from scratch. Delete the configuration files for 7MC.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clear...ia-center.html

(An easier way is to boot into safe mode, then delete the guide and tuner setup files in the hidden system ehome folder.)

You do not need to apply pnear's ATSC hack if you are using a US zipcode. Fortunately, the Guide data for Bellingham is exactly the same as for Vancouver. If that is a problem for you, try using GuideTool. I've never used it myself.

Last edited by Michael DeAbreu; 2011-08-11 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Not relevant to problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-11, 12:56 PM   #77
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClgShaft View Post
You are correct, I have set my system up as a us zip and using no guide id for the Canadian channels. After 14 days I also have to redo my setup as the system can never download the guide data.

I don't know where to go from here, seems I have tried to many options. I believe I remove the hack.
See the discussion that Peter and I had regarding this issue starting on post 45 of this thread. You have to slightly change Peter's files so that you swap the CA and US country codes. I haven't got around to completing this issue yet.
Old 2011-08-11, 04:08 PM   #78
pnear

I've made a quick update, not heavily tested though and I'd appreciate you trying it out for me. Download the test zip file ATSCCanadaBeta.zip from https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...F37BD7B107!236

There's a new option #9 "Custom (Force a Canadian guide update on a US system)" which should address your scenario.

At some point I might add quick links to major cable and satellite systems but that could become a large task. For now, you'll need to do some custom edits.

Here's what you'll need to do...
1. Get the guide ID
Navigate to Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Set Up TV Signal. Set up Media Center to use the guide that is most appropriate for your needs (for example, I selected the Rogers Mississauga lineup which has all of the OTA digital channels listed). Next, navigate to Tasks, Settings, TV, Guide, About Guide Listings and take note of the 8-9 digit ID number.

2. Set up Media Center TV using the US as your geography, selecting the correct type of signal (example, Digital Antenna + Cable STB).

3. Edit the files
Open XMLTask/ImportCANCustom in notepad and replace 189833220 with the guide ID you collected above.
Open MXF/CustomGuide.mxf in notepad and replace 189833220 with the guide ID you collected above (note that this appears in 3 places in this file).

4. Run the hack
Right-click on USGuide.bat and select "Run as administrator"
Hit the number 9 on your keyboard

That should do it, but like I said it hasn't yet been tested so please share your results.

Pete
Old 2011-08-11, 08:26 PM   #79
ClgShaft

i setup as a us system and added shaw cable in both files for the guide id number. as usual the new guide does not show in about guide and nothing when mapping channels.

the file ran as a success.

Update
Took a couple minutes, but i now see the channels, mapped to the guide.

Thanks for the help.

See if I can still download the guide in 14 days.

Thanks
Old 2011-08-11, 10:06 PM   #80
pnear

Huzzah! If it worked the first time, then it should work every night.

Thanks for sharing your results.

Pete
Old 2011-08-16, 11:08 AM   #81
deimos3428
Rookie

Apologies if this has already been asked, but what will happen to Windows Media Center listings after the digital cut-over?

Since there are no listings for ATSC in Canada, I'm currently using the NTSC listings, thanks to pnear. Will these still work/be updated when NTSC itself is gone? Will we finally get ATSC listings?
Old 2011-08-16, 11:16 AM   #82
flavoie

I emailed zap2it for them to update them listings twice, and they made changes every time (almost all of what I asked). It will get the guide updated.
You need to find which zipcode Peter used for the hack in your region.

Since it was unclear what zipcode was used in Ottawa for the hack, I selected zipcode 13662 and used the custom option because it gave me a better channel list to start with. Then I emailed zap2it to add the missing channels I wanted, telling them the exact number and callsigns I had found through searches for other zipcodes under zap2it website.

Going forward, it might only be a matter of telling zap2it that these channels have transitioned with the old and new numbers, and possibly old/new callsigns.
Old 2011-08-16, 11:16 AM   #83
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClgShaft View Post
i setup as a us system and added shaw cable in both files for the guide id number. as usual the new guide does not show in about guide and nothing when mapping channels.

Update
Took a couple minutes, but i now see the channels, mapped to the guide.
@Clgshaft - what guide ID number did you use for Shaw cable?
Old 2011-08-16, 01:55 PM   #84
pnear

Basically, Media Center officially supports the following in Canada:
- Analog antenna
- Cable STB
- Satellite STB

Following the analog shutdown, the analog antenna support will basically become useless and we're left with just cable and satellite support.

You can use my hack to enable ATSC and QAM tuners in Canada, and you can use guide data from either the US or from Canadian cable/satellite providers to map to your digital antenna channels.

I do not expect any changes to Microsoft's position regarding ATSC support in Canada.

Pete
Old 2011-08-16, 02:29 PM   #85
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnear View Post
I do not expect any changes to Microsoft's position regarding ATSC support in Canada.
What is their position on this? I thought it was that the channel lineup info was not available. But when I go to Zap2it for Toronto I see both analog and digital stations listed so that is no longer the case.

What can their justification be? They just don't give a damn about Canada? That certainly appeared to be the case in the past given their lack of resolution for the CGMS-A problem in MCE that plagued Canadians for many years that was never dealt with until it became an issue for Americans.
Old 2011-08-16, 03:36 PM   #86
pnear

My belief is that there was a business decision made a long time ago which related to some specific licensing or other similar issue that is unique to Canada.

Address the issue at significant cost/risk, or simply nullify the issue by disabling the capability in this country. They appear to have chosen the latter, and with a general lack of investment in Media Center globally I highly doubt that this business decision is likely to change.

Pete
Old 2011-08-17, 12:40 PM   #87
Imaham

Next, navigate to Tasks, Settings, TV, Guide, About Guide Listings and take note of the 8-9 digit ID number.

Has anyone been able to find this 9 digit ID number in Windows 7 Media Center for a listing which is completely ATSC OTA ? It doesn't have an item "About Guide Listings", and none of the other options display any 9 digit numbers.

Jack
Old 2011-08-17, 01:26 PM   #88
flavoie

When I setup another system wth USA, then Antenna with zipcode 13662 I was able to get the guide ID according to Peter's instructions fine to help me create a custom setup option.
Old 2011-08-17, 02:18 PM   #89
Imaham

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
When I setup another system wth USA, then Antenna with zipcode 13662 I was able to get the guide ID according to Peter's instructions fine to help me create a custom setup option.
O, I see. I thought I was supposed to start with Canada as my region. Thanks.
Old 2011-08-17, 02:53 PM   #90
flavoie

of course find a zipcode close to you... this one is for Ottawa.