Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2012-03-01, 10:54 AM   #271
flavoie

A lot of my channel logos come from an Expressvu logo file package, but I don't remember where I got it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-05, 04:45 PM   #272
HWP

Default No Programming Data Three Weeks After Peter Near's OTA Hack

A friend helped me with Ken Nist's Windows 7 Home Windows Media Center hack for Canadian and American Over-The-Air listings.

On the night of the hack everything worked great. And for about the last three weeks everything has been great. I have all of my OTA stations listed perfectly.

But WMC has been unable to update the programming guide information. So now my TV tuner is working but the guide says No Data Available. The error says to update the WMC Update Log. But I can't find anything to do. It says there was an error updating.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Old 2012-04-05, 05:00 PM   #273
HWP

Nevermind. I figured it out.

I re-opened the hack files I initially downloaded righ-clicking "run as administrator", and then selected Toronto.

Done and done.

Feels good to figure things out!
Old 2012-04-12, 08:54 AM   #274
mpovolo

I am somewhat new at setting media center up. I hooked it up with no tuner yet and I have internet TV and netflicks. What I found is that as soon as I attach a tuner and do the live TV setup with a Canadian location, I loose all the internet TV stuff. I see a lot of discussion about hacks and things, I am not doing OTA and only using a tuner with STB attached through composite. Any ideas?

thanks
Old 2012-04-12, 01:39 PM   #275
j0dest3r
Veteran

That is an expected behavior as Internet TV and the Netflix MC plug-in are not available in Canada or work for Netflix.ca. Therfore you must also be using a U.S. Netflix account and a service to get around the geo blocking for all that to work.

I don't think it will work the way you are thinking with a composite input but I will let the others with experience in setting that up to chime in. You will need to have an IRBlaster scenario setup in order to be able to change channels. There are a bunch of threads around here that covers all that stuff, just try a search.
Old 2012-04-12, 01:47 PM   #276
flavoie

Indeed like j0dest3r mentioned you would need to setup as USA with Netflix USA account and geounlock service for the Internet plugins to work under media center. If you go this route, since it would be a US setup you would not have your STB guide listings for your canadian cable or sat service by default. Your tuner must come with an IR blaster, so 7mc may be able to support that.

For getting guide listings to work while having a US setup, have a look at GuideTool and Peter Near's multiple listings hack for Windows 7 Media Center. You'll likely use one of these to make it work. Read back the posts in this thread, as many of these cover the case of a US setup + adding canadian channels in the guide by using Peter's hack.
Old 2012-04-12, 02:39 PM   #277
mpovolo

Ok thanks, would this work:

In my basement I put a pc with 2 set top boxes and use a hauppauge card with 2 composite inputs. I setup wmc as Canada with 2 tuners to Rogers cable. All good so far for basement access, here I lose my Internet tv but that's ok.
Upstairs I have another pc setup as US so that I can get the US content, then I use your dvblink server and connect software that allows me to connect two WMC clients to access the live TV from the basement.

After writing this it sound like it won't work.
Old 2012-04-12, 03:07 PM   #278
flavoie

You can use an xbox360 as a client to your Windows media center PC to watch live TV and existing recordings. Can't go from one 7mc to another. Xbox360 is the only client box I know which will work for live TV. You could possibly set that one xbox to select which media center you access from multiple media center pcs, but you'd need to make changes in the xbox setup every time you switch which server you wish to access.
Old 2012-04-12, 03:59 PM   #279
j0dest3r
Veteran

After looking at that DLNA server software you mention, it looks like it should work. You would have two instances of the DLNA server on the network one running on each PC. You would have to differentiate the names of each one but it should work assuming the front end will allow you to choose which one you want to connect to. I like that it works with Windows Media Player as a client. (outside of MS's own offerings) I haven't seen any DLNA server that uses it as a client. PlayOn as an example doesn't work with WMP11 but you can install a plug-in into Media Center to browse the PlayOn DLNA server from within it.
Old 2012-04-13, 05:17 PM   #280
pnear

You've gotten good advice here, let me summarize what I think the key components are:

- You have a US VPN or DNS service which makes your network appear to be in the US
- You have a HTPC with two tuners and two STBs
- Set up that HTPC with a US zip code, all the guide listings will be wrong
- Use this hack to manually import Canadian guide listings http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/133.aspx

As for watching TV elsewhere in the house, personally I find that using an Xbox as a fully-functioning media center client with Live TV is the best and easiest. I've never used DVBLink for this purpose, but suspect it won't be the seamless experience your family is looking for.

-Pete
Old 2012-04-13, 05:26 PM   #281
mpovolo

Thanks near. Your awesome, everyone else too
Old 2012-04-16, 01:04 PM   #282
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnear View Post
As for watching TV elsewhere in the house, personally I find that using an Xbox as a fully-functioning media center client with Live TV is the best and easiest.
There will soon be another option other than the Xbox as the Ceton Echo should be available before too long. This was designed to work with the Ceton "Q" entertainment gateway (which is useless to Canadians since it requires a CableCARD) but it will work as an extender with any Win7 MC system.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/
Old 2012-04-27, 12:53 PM   #283
aylmer_dude
Rookie

Default Win7 WMC recording problem

Hi,

I'm in the Ottawa area and use WMC under W7. I thought WMC was great until I discovered an annoying problem. I can record everything including the PBS stations but when I try to record WNYF (CBS or Fox), my signal drops to 0 as soon as I click the record button. While not recording, I can watch it fine and recording WNYF with WinTV is not a problem. I admit the WNYF signal is not very strong but I can't see why recording makes it go away.

Anyone else experience this ?
Old 2012-04-27, 01:02 PM   #284
flavoie

Watching must be more forgiving with signal loss than recording. Try it later & later at night and see if it gets better. If it does then it's because your signal level is too low which totally makes sense for the weak WNYF-LD signal in Ottawa. Also, you would want to verify which channel you have in your guide is it WNYF-CD or WNYF-LD ? Make sure it's WNYF-LD for both -1 and -2, if needed remove it from the guide then add them back manually using the Add channels option with WNYF with virtual 28.1/2 and real 18 numbers.
Old 2012-04-27, 01:04 PM   #285
pnear

I haven't experienced it, but can speculate as to what might be happening.

Media Center often uses one tuner to watch live tv and another tuner to record tv. It is possible that your second tuner isn't as sensitive or isn't properly connected to the antenna.

Let me walk you through something from memory (the exact steps probably aren't correct):
To see what tuners are set up for the channel, navigate to settings, guide, edit channels. Select the channel and then click on "sources"
You'll see a list of tuners and specific channels to tune to for that channel.
Check that list to make sure all the channels are correct and are real working tuners.
You can also reorder the tuner priority.

Let me know if that helps at all.

Pete