V: 2009 version - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2009-10-28, 07:31 PM   #31
NB Josh
Veteran

Yea I'll record them and watch them between Christmas and the Olympics, if the series gets a full season order. If not I won't bother.
NB Josh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-03, 04:10 PM   #32
hugh
Member #1

Bumping as it starts tonight and I have set the PVR to record.
Old 2009-11-03, 04:31 PM   #33
Tezster
Veteran

I've read a couple of not-so-glowing early reviews, but will reserve my judgement until I see the it tonight.
Old 2009-11-03, 04:41 PM   #34
Paulo

Looking forward to seeing this as well, from the previews on ABC the PQ looked quite nice. I hope the series is a good one.

Paul
Old 2009-11-04, 01:14 AM   #35
supervij

I really liked it! Okay, not super liked it: the outer design of the motherships and the shuttles are ugly, and Morena doesn't have the "beautiful yet deadly" look of Jane Badler (Diana from the original V).

But I dig the idea that the Visitors had infiltrated our planet long before the big arrival! I don't remember if they did that on the original (I don't think they did), so this was a really nice twist. Also, there's more or a "war on terrorism" feel to this show, as opposed to the "cold war" feel of the original -- a nice update. And how cool was it to see Wash from Firefly in there?!

It was kinda cool seeing those two blonde "good guys" sitting together there . . . reminded me of Julie and Mike from the old show! Even looked a bit alike!

I'm totally giving this show a chance. In fact, I'm really stoked about it!

cheers,
supervij
Old 2009-11-04, 06:38 AM   #36
gretzky

Quote:
But I dig the idea that the Visitors had infiltrated our planet long before the big arrival!
What ??? you were not aware that they had infiltrated us ???

I like the idea of a revival of this serie and hope to finaly see how it ends
(one episode not shot in the original serie)
Yves Simoneau Direct some episodes and i liked 4400 so i give it a try
but no Morena isn't hot as Jane Badler was
gretzky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-04, 09:31 AM   #37
rfielder
Veteran

SyFy reports that there has been a shakeup in management for the series, with the executive producer being replaced.

This must have happened before the first episode was even broadcast. I have to wonder where this will go, between changes at the helm, and the long long gap between episodes 4 and 5.
rfielder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-04, 10:46 AM   #38
Tezster
Veteran

Sadly, nothing really grabbed me in the first episode; the show just felt kind of average. It wasn't terrible or even bad by any means, but nothing spectacular, either.

I couldn't get through what I perceived were plot holes.

The transition of people (and world governments) realizing there are other intelligent beings in our universe, to one of seemingly blind acceptance and that these visitors are good guys and nice people was a little too quick for me. If anything, people are more cynical today than they were 25 years ago (ok, I realize Morena is hot, but that has its limits ). Would YOU allow civilians onto an alien ship 3 weeks after they appear out of the blue?

Why would the 'resistance' need to fight a covert, underground war? There seems to be more than enough physical evidence that they can go public with the information and provide a pretty compelling case that the visitors aren't what they seem to be.

Maybe I'm being over-analytical and I'm just supposed to turn my brain off.
Old 2009-11-04, 12:48 PM   #39
MAXAM

I found the pace of the show was a little slow and not that exciting. I kept waiting for Anna's (Morena Baccarin) pupils to go from round to the reptilian vertical slit shape as depicted in the Zap-2-It TV banner ad. And, I won't be happy until I see her swallow a large rodent as Diana did in the 1983 TV series!
BTW It was nice to see familiar Vancouver landmarks.
MAXAM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-05, 01:39 PM   #40
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Cool V: has Vancouver all over it

While mrs. stampeder and I enjoyed it and believe it has promise, we found the segments of sensitive, interpersonal character exposition a bit time-consuming and tedious, tending to drain suspense from the fact that THERE'S A GIANT UFO OUT THERE PEOPLE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXAM
It was nice to see familiar Vancouver landmarks.
I kept hitting pause as time after time we shouted things like "Hey, I used to work in that building!", "No, that's not a Lost reference, the building actually is called "Oceanic", "Look, you can see the Harbour Centre in that reflection!" That was just for the visual stuff.

Lots of additional pauses happened as we came across a good variety of Vancouver-based actors and bit players in this show: "That guy was in Robson Arms!", "Hey, he was in Da Vinci!", "Look, there's a Stargate guy...", "That dude was on jPod!", "Remember him from Intelligence?", and on and on...

The busty, blue-eyed, blonde recruiter chick looks very familiar, like a younger Fiona Forbes (Urban Rush host on cable in Vancouver area). We cannot remember where we've seen her, but she's not the gal from jPod, right?

I'm optimistic that this series will improve with time if it gets the chance.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-05, 01:52 PM   #41
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

One word of advice for V's producers: go rent a screening room and watch the entire Torchwood Season Three series "Children Of The Earth" and take plenty of notes on how to do the alien invasion thing right.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-05, 02:25 PM   #42
DLPAddict

The hot blond recruiter she's Laura Vandervoort from Toronto and from the Smallville series.

Even the address for the warehouse was 4400 !!
Maybe in reference to the 4400 series who was filmed in Vancouver also or this is a coincidence!?

Not bad..... will keep watching and hoping for the best.
Old 2009-11-05, 09:29 PM   #43
barcham

When I found out that this was on it's way I downloaded the original two mini-series and watched the first one this past weekend. It brought back some great memories and the pacing was great. After watching the new series opener, my feelings are mixed. The beginning was great but they are moving way too fast for my taste. Very little dramatic build up and all the basic details were revealed in the first episode. There is absolutely no build up to the visitors being evil and the entire premise of the story is exposed.

Everything went way too fast in my opinion. They would have been better off introducing the major characters and letting things move at a more natural pace. In the first episode we meet the visitors, discover that they are evil, that they have been here for a long time, that there is a resistance group already in place, that there are also visitors who are against their leader and that the FBI has been infiltrated. All this in the first hour! What's left? I also thought that one of the best ideas of the original series, that their voices were different and had an identifiable 'reverb' to them was a great idea that has been dropped due to their 'infiltration' story line.

Maybe they expected that most viewers would already know the basic premise and decided that the new viewers who had never seen the original would prefer a fast, instant disclosure of all the important information? I just can't figure it out. I'm a sci-fi buff so I'll definitely be watching the show no matter how it goes, but I'm more disappointed than pleased so far.

They should have done a remake of the Invaders instead.
barcham is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-06, 09:04 AM   #44
rfielder
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcham View Post
Maybe they expected that most viewers would already know the basic premise and decided that the new viewers who had never seen the original would prefer a fast, instant disclosure of all the important information?
...which those who had not seen the original series would get either from online reading, or from their friends.

Seems like a lose-lose situation in many ways - you can't build tension when you already know what is going to happen.

Or, at least, a very difficult tasks. Expecting every reboot to be like Star Trek or BSG might be setting the bar at overly high levels....
rfielder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-11-06, 11:56 AM   #45
MAXAM

barcham "that there are also visitors who are against their leader and that the FBI has been infiltrated. All this in the first hour! What's left?"
I wouldn't be surprised that each week we have to figure out who is an alien and whether he/she is a good lizard or a bad one.
MAXAM is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.