Shaw dropping channels- BBCK, CourtTV & Discovery Kids - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2009-06-24, 05:56 PM   #1
ladybugblue

Default Shaw dropping channels- BBCK, CourtTV & Discovery Kids

Hey I got a message from Shaw today that they are dropping Discovery Kids, BBC Kids, and Court TV. Now I don't subscribe to all of them but my kids really like Discovery Kids due to Grossology type of shows. Has this happened to all Shaw customers or only those in the Edmonton area? Has Shaw dropped channels before?

I am pretty disappointed...the channel offerings are pretty meek in my opinion as is, especially for children let alone dropping the limited offerings.

They ask to go to the website to add "other great programming" which I won't be doing...just disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-06-24, 06:03 PM   #2
DSgamby
Veteran

ouch, I just switched to CourtTV Canada too.

The only channel that I know of that was dropped was CBC Ottawa on their Canadian Timeshift programming
Old 2009-06-24, 08:11 PM   #3
Jason4653

THe channels are being dropped everywhere not just Edmonton
Old 2009-06-25, 01:17 PM   #4
vjose78

Arent those channels category 1, which are must carry? Edit - nope they are cat 2. Glad im not with them!
Old 2009-06-25, 01:40 PM   #5
hugh
Member #1

Anybody got a link that explains or can post the details from the letter or email?
Old 2009-06-25, 01:43 PM   #6
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 10 & VOIP Phone Service.

Winnipeg office didn't know anything about this....where did you see this? Was it a message on the DCT? Message on your bill? Your E-mail. If it was e-mail or online can you post a pic of it?

Thanks
Old 2009-06-25, 05:20 PM   #7
ladybugblue

It was a message on my phone...voicemail. They said to go to www.shaw.ca/packageupdate for more information. But this link basically replaces the channels lost with some other programming. My daughter doesn't want other programming.
Old 2009-06-25, 11:22 PM   #8
vjose78

Well if I was you I would complain to Shaw or better to CTV since they own Discovery Kids. I cant believe Shaw is so freakin stupid! I aint ever going back to them.
Old 2009-06-25, 11:44 PM   #9
gordon1111

shaw said there is no demand for these stations.
Old 2009-06-25, 11:47 PM   #10
gonkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose78 View Post
Well if I was you I would complain to Shaw or better to CTV since they own Discovery Kids. I cant believe Shaw is so freakin stupid! I aint ever going back to them.
Actually Corus Entertainment owns Discovery Kids not CTV.

This makes Shaw dropping the channel quite curious since Corus and Shaw were/are sort of related to one another.

CTV owns Court TV and Canwest owns BBC Kids so there isn't really a bias towards any one company in these channel removals.

Must be a business decision based on actual subscriber numbers.
Old 2009-06-26, 07:37 AM   #11
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
Must be a business decision based on actual subscriber numbers.
I'm certain it must be. I think people forget that every time a category 2 station is added, their is a monthly cost that must be paid.

If subscription revenues are significantly less than costs then why keep a channel?
Old 2009-06-26, 07:50 AM   #12
bigoranget
Veteran

I have a feeling that Discovery Kids will probably shut down sometime in late 2009 or early 2010. The US counterpart will be rebranding the station as part of a partnership with Hasbro.

I've also heard that Canwest may be looking to discontinue BBC Kids. They already got rid of the BBC-K block of programming that ran daily in the evening, early last year.

My assumption is Shaw wanted to get rid of BBC Kids and CourtTV Canada but also decided to get rid of Discovery Kids (A channel they own) so that they don't have the same PR issues they had when their Satellite arm (shaw direct) dropped some local CBC, CTV, Rogers owned stations.
Old 2009-06-26, 08:55 AM   #13
talker

I wonder if dropping the channels was prompted by demands from terrestrial broadcasters wanting cable companies to pay for content they take from them?

If cable doesn't take the shows, they don't have to pay for them.

Another decision for the CRTC?
Old 2009-06-26, 09:59 AM   #14
travisc
Veteran

But hugh, what they pay monthly is based on subscribership levels. They don't pay a set minimum.
Old 2009-06-26, 10:06 AM   #15
hugh
Member #1

travisc, I understand but, it still costs money to provide the service: overhead, marketing, infrastructure and bandwidth.

If Shaw had zero customers, they would still have costs!

Also there is the opportunity cost. Why sell 3 dogs that no one is subbing to when you could be selling something more profitable?