Telus remote not working - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-06-13, 04:51 PM   #1
Saad77
Rookie

Default Telus remote not working

When I signed up for Telus tv over a year ago I received the AT6400 AllTouch IR Universal Remote with it.

The remote is no longer working very well. Some of the buttons don't respond unless you push them several times and some no longer work at all. The remote has not been damaged in any way, the batteries have been replaced and the IR receivers have been cleaned. There is nothing blocking the way when I use the remote, so that is not the problem. Otherwise i'm not sure what the problem is, if the remote is just worn out (which it shouldn't be) or if there is something wrong with it or the telus tv box.

I saw that telus is charging about $100 for a new Harmony remote, which is way out of my budget right now. Do any other cheaper universal remotes work with telus tv, or do I have any other options?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-06-13, 04:55 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I assume that any Harmony remote would work for this purpose. If you watch for sales, various less expensive Harmony remote models can usually be purchased for under $50. Check out the "Deals" section of this forum. Some service providers will replace "bad" remotes at no cost, or at minimal cost. Have you looked into that option?

I'm assuming that some of the buttons work and that this is not an IR interference issue, as discussed in the following post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

While waiting for other responses, check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2009-06-14, 06:55 PM   #3
ttvguy

That's the standard remote for the SA330/430 STBs. If you want to verify that it isn't IR interference like 57 alluded to you can do the following:

Try the remote with the TV on to verify it is not responding by watching the green light around the power indicator on the set top box. If that doesn't flash then the STB isn't getting the signal.

Turn your TV physically off and leave the STB on. Try the remote while watching the green light around the power indicator on the STB again. If it flashes with each remote press then chances are there is nothing wrong with the remote or STB but your TV could be interfering with the IR signal.

If the remote is still not functioning, call Telus and they'll send you a free (i think) replacement.

If the remote functions properly with the TV off, follow the link 57 posted and check the settings in your TV. There is a fix in the works for this issue with different IR hardware for the STBs but it won't be available until closer to the end of the year.