CRTC approves carriage of The Weather Network for an emergency alerting system - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

View Poll Results: How often do you watch the Weather Network?
Daily 26 15.57%
Frequently 30 17.96%
Infrequently 44 26.35%
Never 67 40.12%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-06-12, 02:37 PM   #31
crossfire

Really they should be. Tornado's and severe storms are becoming more the norm. Having a good system to warn the public is only right. I have three weather radios. Two at home one of which is tuned to NOAA Rochester the other is Weather Canada Peterboro. The third one is at the cottage.These radio's are not expensive. Who know's they may save your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-06-12, 02:48 PM   #32
Blackburst

Why not request that BDU's carry Weather Canada Radio on Basic so that people can get their alerts? There service is already there.

Why not request that the SRC & CBC DT stations carry Weather Canada Radio on a DT sub-channel? The service is already there. Right!
Old 2009-06-12, 04:21 PM   #33
polaris

This is a joke right?

Emergency info would not be provided by local CBC stations?

And Enviro Canada's forcast has always been better IMO.

In Toronto it was usually right, where the WN's was a mess. Vancouver is more predictable so its not too tough to get right.
Old 2009-06-12, 06:51 PM   #34
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

Isn't this "new" 23¢/mth/subscriber the same 23¢/mth/subscriber Pelmorex has been enjoying for years? I read the decision meant, in exchange for mandatory basic digital carriage, they got to keep their current fee on promise of spending new capital launching the emergency service.

That's sort of "free" isn't it? Do more, get paid the same?

And isn't the station already carried by all BDUs? Bell, Shaw Direct, Cogeco and Rogers certainly include it in the least expensive package you can buy.

And the alerts don't appear on TWN exclusively, this is a system to overlay a warning on all channels, isn't it?
Old 2009-06-13, 10:31 AM   #35
Chuck12

I would watch The Weather Network more often if it was not to focused on one area of the country. *Cough*Ontario*Cough* Not that I have anything against Ontario, I just think if the West is forced to help pay for this, the focus should be more broad.

I don't know how many times they have skipped over Sask/MB during weather events.
Old 2009-06-13, 11:11 AM   #36
tablo

Yes, many people think that Environment Canada is the most reliable source and I agree too. The forecast for Edmonton in winter was horrible. It said like-- let's say I'm watching Thursday's forecast on Monday, it said like -20C and in Wednesday it shows -30C. Well not exactly but similarly!!
Old 2009-06-13, 12:23 PM   #37
ScaryBob
Veteran

EC services really went downhill in most areas several years ago when local services were cut. Most areas now get forecasts out of Toronto instead of having local forecasters. Just to give you an idea of how services have been cut in some parts of Ontario, as well as the rest of the country... At one time, you could call the local EC office here and the meteorologist would answer the phone and give you the forecast, 24 hours a day. Now all they have is a remote weather station. Most of Ontario outside Toronto is affected as well, not just the west.
Old 2009-06-13, 01:34 PM   #38
Lindsay649

A service worth having due to the unsettled weather conditions of late. Details of how you will be notified were not mentioned but in all likelihood a small warning symbol will appear across all channels referring you to the weather channel.
Old 2009-06-14, 02:15 AM   #39
RingtailedFox

why not have a coordinated system run by the national weather agency, like the USA?

In america, the National Weather Service issues watches, warnings, and advisories for regions and counties, but also allows individual television stations to alert their viewers.

Say a tornado watch was issued for most of Southeast Michigan. The Detroit locals would then show a map of Southeast mIchigan's counties with a colour of those counties for the tornado watch, sometimes with a scrolling text at the bottom of the screen saying "Tornado Watch is ineffect until <time> for <these counties>." While it may seem that the National Weather Service is doing this on all chanels simultaneously, they're simply recieving the weather information from the NWS, and relaying it on their own discretion and in their own format (WJBK 2.1 also incorporates radar into its watch/warning maps). Environment Canada has the right idea about forming a national weather alert system similar to the NWS/NOAA/NSSL, but even on cable, The Weather Channel and The Weather Network are the only channels that display relevant information about your weather, aside from your local stations. You won't see The Movie Network (canada) or Cinemax (USA) giving you weather warnings of any sort. Having Speedvision interrupt a show about cars to bring you to the Weather Network's storm warning in your area could be inconveniencing, yes, but i think the idea of a scrolling text or icon would do much better. This does, however, assume cable subscribers don't have enough common sense or knowledge to flip to the Weather Network or their local station if storms are approaching.
Old 2009-06-14, 02:29 AM   #40
travisc
Veteran

I think SensualPoet has hit the nail on the head - nothing is really going on here - the vast majority of Canadians are already paying for the Weather Network in basic. This $260 million really is meaningless. The Weather Network got themselves basic carriage guaranteed - but since they were already in there, no additional money is coming out of the average person's pocket. In the long run, if more channels become available a la carte, then this will be an issue.

As it stands now, I think people are flipping out over nothing.
Old 2009-06-14, 03:52 AM   #41
gretzky

Quote:
I think people are flipping out over nothing.
hope you're joking you call 260 000 000 $ nothing ???
when environement canada can do the job (and should)

AmowAgou pointed it right what about OTA ppl ???
it just doesn't join everyone as a service like that should

i think we shold not paying a private company for a service the government is capable of doing
Old 2009-06-14, 08:36 AM   #42
hugh
Member #1

From the notice

Quote:
The Commission, by majority decision, approves the application by Pelmorex Communications Inc. (Pelmorex) for a mandatory distribution order under section 9(1)(h) of the Broadcasting Act requiring all direct-to-home satellite distribution undertakings as well as all Class 1 broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) to distribute The Weather Network and MétéoMédia on the digital basic service. The mandatory distribution order will be effective 1 September 2010 and expire 31 August 2015.
The CRTC could have easily said, "With the option of timely weather information on the internet, radio, and newsprint, the commission believes a mandatory decision order is not in the best interests of consumers in these tough economic times"

The result would have been Canadian Cable and Satellite tv subscribers would not have to pay $260 million in additional taxes for a service most don't use. No one is saying get rid of the Weather Network, simply have the users who use it, pay for it.

The $12 million emergency service is a red herring.

I seriously believe that a government mandated tax of a quarter of a billion dollars is hardly nothing. IMO, the notion that billions of taxes here and there is no big deal is a very disturbing one.
Old 2009-06-14, 09:22 AM   #43
Francois Caron
Veteran

Hugh, it's not really appropriate to call this new fee a tax since the recipient of the money isn't a government agency, but a private corporation. We'll have to find a better word for what it really is.

Extortion? Nah. You can easily avoid the fee by canceling your cable subscription.

Come one people! Let's find a more appropriate term for this! Any suggestions?
Old 2009-06-14, 09:30 AM   #44
Random Dude

Maybe more people will watch when they freshen up the music in their local forecast?
Old 2009-06-14, 01:30 PM   #45
travisc
Veteran

My point being hugh, this is not NEW money. If anything has been lost, it's the ability of the BDUs to remove this channel from basic and save you this money. It's already being paid.