CTV and /A\'s Hold Open Houses Across Canada Sept 25, 2010 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-05-15, 10:01 PM   #1
tvis4me
Rookie

Default CTV and /A\'s Hold Open Houses Across Canada Sept 25, 2010

I read on the 'net that CTV and As are having open houses across Canada on Saturday, May23rd.

I'm heading over to see the new CTV HD studios in Toronto.

Anyone else heading over in their city?

Last edited by tvis4me; 2009-05-15 at 10:23 PM.
tvis4me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-05-15, 10:47 PM   #2
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Thumbs down CTV's Propaganda Campaign Shifts Gears

These CTV and A "Open Houses" are really just part of their post-CRTC-hearings propaganda campaign of FUD designed to create a false sense of urgency about a supposed jeopardy to their local TV stations that does not exist. The CRTC, the industry, and most of all, knowledgeable consumers saw right through this flim flam during the hearings and see right through this cynical progaganda campaign right now. Here's an example of the campaign in action:

http://www.atv.ca/victoria/inthecomm...elevision.aspx

Prior discussion of this CTV campaign started in Posts #152,153,154 and #158 in this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106141
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-15, 11:02 PM   #3
PlayitSimple

It seems they got quite the marketing campaign going here, I wonder where they got the money for this whole thing- I thought these stations were losing money thus the need for FFC?!
PlayitSimple is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-16, 09:55 AM   #4
XM4243

Quote:
read on the 'net that CTV and As are having open houses across Canada on Saturday, May23rd.
First time poster, hmm?

Pardon my being extremely skeptical, but admonistrator, can I ask: What prompted you to make your very first on Digital Home an announcement for a CTV open house?

It just seems to me that its a very odd topic for a first post.

Do you happen to work for CTV or related company?
XM4243 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-16, 10:23 AM   #5
Korak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admonistrator View Post
I read on the 'net that CTV and As are having open houses across Canada on Saturday, May23rd.

I'm heading over to see the new CTV HD studios in Toronto.

Anyone else heading over in their city?
I would like to visit my local CTV studio......IF WE HAD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nearest one is in Halifax, not even in my province!
Now when CBC has it's open house, It's only 5 miles away. So which one is LOCAL?
Korak is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-16, 10:48 AM   #6
gonkster

are we sure it is isn't a garage sale instead...everything must go...any bids ...anyone...how about $1...anyone
gonkster is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-17, 11:52 AM   #7
classicsat
Veteran

They are likely also part of the "Doors Open" program in most cities, where usually closed facilities open their doors for public tours.

Looking, only the Masonic Hall is the only CTV facility part of the Toronto Doors Open program.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-17, 02:26 PM   #8
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Nope, a look at the A and CTV links provided shows that these Open Houses have one purpose, and that is to further their agenda of getting more taxpayer money that they rolled out in the CRTC hearings.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-17, 05:59 PM   #9
MCIBUS
Veteran

Thumbs down

I hope there's one in Ottawa.

Boy Oh Boy will I go to it and ask the two questions?

Q1 You say that sat & cable companies are not giving money to local stations?

They answer

I then ask my second question

Q2 Then why is it that Bell TV(formerly Expressvu) a sat company which you say(CTV), that Bell TV isn't giving back to CJOH/A Ottawa, but both CJOH/A OTTAWA are own by CTVglobemedia which it just happens to be that the parent company of CTVglobemedia & Bell TV is BCE, so how can one of your companies say one thing and yet the other says sometyhing else? HMMMM?
MCIBUS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-17, 07:26 PM   #10
Classof83

They'll say they are separate entities.

CTV is making tons of money off of specialty networks, but won't put any of that money back into local television, due to them saying they are different entities. But of course, you'll see cross promotions across specialty and conventional networks (i.e., you'll see ads for CTV on TSN) - so they totally aren't separate. But when they want them to be, they are, and when they don't, they aren't.
Classof83 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-18, 12:44 AM   #11
vjose78

I went to their savelocal website and used their own email your mp thing to not support them, hehehe! Everyone here should do it!
vjose78 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-18, 09:54 AM   #12
Pavolo
Rookie

It will be interesting to see how this shakes down as the future of TV as we know it could be in the balance from somes perspectives . I feel that the cable industry is making money from the backs of others and not paying a fair share to them , as are the networks expecting to much from cable . I for one do not have the answere and am glad they are fiquring it out .
Pavolo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-19, 07:51 AM   #13
windows7

Default Save Local TV rally

I see 'A' London/Windsor/Wingham has a "Help Save Local TV Rally" on Saturday, May 23, 2009 at Covent Garden Market in London, Ontario.

Look, I'm all for it IF (and it's a big 'if') it's not going to be a CTVglobemedia fee-for-carriage offer; lambs-taken-to-slaughterhouse pitch. Please excuse my jadedness in that analogy.

It's at 2PM, BTW. I think some anti-fee-for-carriage protest signs are in order so we get another POV *if* CTVGlobemedia pulls that card. Be prepared, I say.
windows7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-19, 03:32 PM   #14
Vegas01
Rookie

Here is an email I sent CTV but we all know they will not reply. Just like when I called to talk to someone about it. They put me to the news dept and the guy said this had nothing to do with the news.

Quote:
Ok this open house is to be a fun thing BUT is to really send out a message right? That Local Channel 9 is in jeopardy of going off the air. Or so CTVgm wants us the public to believe.
I wish I could make it to the open house this Saturday, I live in Scarborough, but I have to work. So I figure you are hosting it, I can maybe ask you a couple of questions and mention my views. I am sure Ivan Fecan won't be there and he sure would rather not hear from us little guys.
I find it hard to believe CTVgm is in a crisis. I mean look at all the channels owned.
Because of some bad business decisions we the public are being asked to pay more? fee-for-carriage. Seriously now. This money will go towards buying up more American Programming, and to make Canadian Clones of American Programs.
Let's take a good look here. CHUM TV was gaining ground by giving the viewers what they want when it came to airing shows. CTV didn't like that because it is better to be bigger, hold the trump cards and so let's buy them. Then CTV has a slew of specialty channels. Then CTV decides to make MuchMusic, MuchMore and Bravo repeaters of the national network. Why do I need to see So You Think You Can Dance Canada on CTV and MuchMore? And I should pay for CTV Channel 9? When I am paying for MuchMore? Ahh yes my money is wanted and needed.
Not since Night Heat in the 80's and Due South in the 90's have we had a hit show that a US Network has picked up a Canadian show and now finally Flashpoint. But come on, one show? But buy the rights to show US Programs instead? And make Canadian Clones of some of those shows?
Canadian Idol, So You Think you Can Dance Canada, Canada's Next Top Model, Project Runway Canada are all "Canadian Shows'?
When did we as Canadians lose creativity and originality? But seems CTV and Global want to and have and lead the Canadian Public along. Now CTV gets huge, Canwest gets huge, then they cry poor and want sympathy. And using the campaign Save Local TV. Sad, very sad. And I am sure the majority of the naive and uninformed public will fall for this. Sad I tell ya.
This fee-for-carriage is brought on by saying "American local stations get this" and so that means monkey see, monkey do?
A difference too in the USA is, the stations are not all owned by each network. They are under contracts to the networks. CTV and Global OWN thier locals. Big difference.
But again let's copy what the Americans do because...well we are wannabe Americans.
Whatever happened to making good quality Canadian shows? We have so many talented directors, producers, actors etc in this country BUT it is preferred to spend money on American programs so that there are no production costs endured, just ad time to make profits. Then when the gravy train starts to slowdown, cry poor and ask for handouts.
How about Ivan Fecan takes a big paycut? No? Of course not. Let's ask the general public to come on board. tell them that the signal that the Sattelite and Cable companies are giving us they get for free. But don't tell the same people, you can get our signal the same way for decades...by antenna. That is for free. And at a time where all of us do not have tons of money to spend, take more from us. Because that fee will be passed onto us.
Hey I am all for local tv, BUT if a network is going to worry more about if they can air the next So You Think You Can Dance Canada episode because of lack of advertisers, then I think I would rather let local tv disappear. Because CTV, like Global, wants to be an American broadcaster in Canada.
I remember if I wanted to watch a US station from Buffalo I would tune into them. Now it is all simulcast substitution which benefits the networks in Canada for advertising. Seems they get what they want from the cable and sat providers through CRTC regulation. Next is taking more money to run stations that CTV seems to have made mistakes with? Stop buying up American programming at such expensive rates, stop making cheap Canadian clones of American shows and then I think we can survive just fine. But if CTV keeps making bad business decisions, throws money around because they think because they are so big they are fine, well they will have to reorganize, sell off some stations to generate money and go about it differently.
The campaign is a good one and many naive and uninformed people are falling for it, but why not let them know the entire truth? Or is that not the right thing to do? being a Canadian I would like to know the truth and not the sugarcoated truth. Propaganda is not the solution.

Last edited by Vegas01; 2009-05-19 at 08:43 PM.
Vegas01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-09-23, 01:17 PM   #15
magnet

CTV & /A\ Open Houses this Saturday Sept. 25th:

Station
Time (local time)

CTV Atlantic
3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

CTV Montreal
9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

CTV Ottawa
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

/A\ Ottawa
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

CTV North Bay
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

CTV Sudbury
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

CTV Sault Ste. Marie
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

CTV Sudbury
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

/A\ Windsor
12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

/A\ Barrie
2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

CTV Toronto
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

CTV SWO
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

/A\ London
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

CTV Winnipeg
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

CTV Yorkton
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

CTV Prince Albert
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

CTV Regina
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

CTV Saskatoon
12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

CTV Edmonton
10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

CTV Calgary
9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.

CTV BC
10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

/A\ Vancouver Island
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.