Sony Bravia dead after 3 years - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2011-10-15, 08:51 PM   #46
HammerD

I bought a Westinghouse 42" 1080P LCD set about 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Picture looks exactly the same as it did when I first took it out of the box. Not sure they sell Westinghouse in Canada anymore, but I love the set. I bought it from Crutchfield Canada and they are absolutely a first class company to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-16, 09:16 AM   #47
grog

FYI, Westinghouse is now just a brand name that's licensed to an otherwise totally separate company. There are many older brands with similar license arrangements - RCA, Zenith, Polaroid, etc. The original companies went out of business years ago but the names live on through license agreements because they still have some brand recognition.

I'm not doubting you've had a great experience with your Westinghouse set but everyone should be aware that when you buy such brands it is a crapshoot as to what quality you get. Even buying a product with the same model number is no guarantee that the components inside are the same.

After warranty support is often a big problem with these brands too because they source their parts from all over the place, typically getting the cheapest ones available at the time, so they don't usually have access to any replacement parts after they've exhausted their inventory.

Unfortunately we're now seeing a similar trend with some of the big brands too.
Old 2011-10-16, 09:45 AM   #48
skink
Rookie

I contacted Westinghouse a few months ago and was told they don't sell in Canada.So i said i saw their product for sale at T.D. and he told me that was different.